Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

4.10 in A4?

This is a discussion on 4.10 in A4? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by LeadFarmer ok well I just got screwed over cuz I bought the wrong gears. Apparently their is ...

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    ok well I just got screwed over cuz I bought the wrong gears. Apparently their is a different kind of gear for gm 7.5 cars upgrading from a stock 2.73 as opposed to those upgrading from a 3 series gear(3.42 etc). I was completely unaware of this and ended up paying a shop to crack open my differential only to reinstall the stock gears since the gears I supplied were wrong so I just basically burned $250 for future reference how the hell am I supposed to tell if a set of gears is meant for a 2 series car or 3 series car if it isn't advertised on their site???
    It is always better to purchase the gears from the shop that is going to install them, case in point: the first set of gears they installed made a howling noise when driven, however the second set they installed were perfect. If I would have supplied the gears, and they made alot of noise, it is on ME, being it was their set of gears it was on THEM, and quite frankly, if they had to go through 100 set of gears, it would not bother me at all.

SteveC

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I did the same thing on my past camaro, there is a way to measure it and should be a thread or someone on here would know alot better. Thats not a good pic but thats my picture trying to measure it. Either way i forgot how it was done but i used that way of measuring it to find out if those were the right gears for my cars.

On this link go down to the 5th post
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/gears-...s-carrier.html

Last edited by karpetcm; 03-20-2010 at 07:58 AM.

Black
    1998 Z28

It's not a matter of measuring,a lot of orders are placed before the rearend is taken apart.It's a matter of knowing what you'll be working with before the project starts.

The following pics are only useful after disassembly

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanZ28 View Post
    what vendor did you buy them from ?
    motive/gearsareus
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    It is always better to purchase the gears from the shop that is going to install them, case in point: the first set of gears they installed made a howling noise when driven, however the second set they installed were perfect. If I would have supplied the gears, and they made alot of noise, it is on ME, being it was their set of gears it was on THEM, and quite frankly, if they had to go through 100 set of gears, it would not bother me at all.

SteveC
    yeh I can't believe that never crossed my mind...I was way too preoccupied with daydreaming about what the results of the new gears in my car would be. I'm prob. gonna put these up for sale on here and use the money to buy from a retailer around here. anyone interested lemme kno

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    I did the same thing on my past camaro, there is a way to measure it and should be a thread or someone on here would know alot better. Thats not a good pic but thats my picture trying to measure it. Either way i forgot how it was done but i used that way of measuring it to find out if those were the right gears for my cars.

On this link go down to the 5th post
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/gears-...s-carrier.html

Click for full size
    thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanZ28 View Post
    It's not a matter of measuring,a lot of orders are placed before the rearend is taken apart.It's a matter of knowing what you'll be working with before the project starts.

The following pics are only useful after disassembly
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    pics much appreciated, I was quite curious as to what the actual physical differences were between the 2/3 series

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

NP hope it helps and once you get them installed it will be a huge difference in the way the car feels. It will be noticably quicker.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I know with my 98 TA I swapped 3.23 for 3.73 and used motive gears. They told me I had a 3 series.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information