Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

3rd member problem ??

so i hears a loud humming from my rear end i put it on jack stands and rotated my back wheels( by hand and i see the part right after the yokes on my driveshaft rubbing agianst my differential) and found out that what i believe is my 3rd member i want to be 100 % correct because i have never replaced a 3rd member before and i am wondering is my diffrential shot completly or can i buy a replacement for the stock diffrential 3rd member the pice that comes out of the differential and connects to the driveshaft i want to be sure im not saying the wrong part . any help would be greatly appreciated (any for other info i have replaced all the yokes on my driveshaft in the last 9 months rebuilt the differential 9 months ago and put 3.73's in)
    Thanks, Warren
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 11-18-2009 at 02:19 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by un17real View Post
    so i hears a loud humming from my rear end i put it on jack stands and rotated my back wheels( by hand and i see the part right after the yokes on my driveshaft rubbing agianst my diffrental) and found out that what i believe is my 3rd member i want to be 100 % correct because i have never replaced a 3rd member before and i am wondering is my diffrential shot completly or can i buy a replacement for the stock diffrential 3rd member the pice that comes out of the diffrential and connects to the driveshaft i want to be sure im not saying the wrong part . any help would be greatly appreciated (any for other info i have replaced all the yokes on my driveshaft in the last 9 months rebuilt the diffrential 9 months ago and put 3.73's in)
    Thanks, Warren
    The yoke on the DS is rubbing on the differential case?

What rear end is this? Stock,9", 12 bolt etc

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    The yoke on the DS is rubbing on the differential case?

What rear end is this? Stock,9", 12 bolt etc
    it is a stock differential stock with a mac girdle (driveshaft sent out to island empire 9 months ago and got the driveshaft traded in for an aluminum one ) , i know that it is the nature of these to blow out at any time but i just cant afford to upgrade with living check to check also i have a 6 speed if that helps man is there a way i can fix this problem ?
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 11-18-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well there's only a few options here. Your rear end is not broken yet. You said you had it rebuilt. Could be non OEM gears and those tend to whine/hum/ make some noise. So you can wait it out, take it easy on the car and hope it stays together for awhile. Or, you can buy yet another rebuild kit for this 10 bolt that will break again and try to fix this problem you have.

1. Ride it out, hope for the best.
    2. Buy another rebuild kit, with zero promise of it curing the 10 bolts weak flaws

That's it. I would go with number 1 personally.

If your driveshaft yoke is somehow rubbing on the differential, that problem needs to be addressed.

Its hard to tell someone what to do with any kind of rebuild without being there to hear/see it.
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 11-18-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Question humming

Well there's only a few options here. Your rear end is not broken yet. You said you had it rebuilt. Could be non OEM gears and those tend to whine/hum/ make some noise. So you can wait it out, take it easy on the car and hope it stays together for awhile. Or, you can buy yet another rebuild kit for this 10 bolt that will break again and try to fix this problem you have.

2. Buy another rebuild kit, with zero promise of it curing the 10 bolts weak flaws

If your driveshaft yoke is somehow rubbing on the differential, that problem needs to be addressed.

Its hard to tell someone what to do with any kind of rebuild without being there to hear/see it.
    yes you are right about that it will never fix the weak differential i'll start saving but the humming is more like a banging agianst my floor boards when i let the gas off when it is in gear i have to work 6 days a week and i will get it torn-down as soon as i can any idea ? carrier bearings ? pinion bearings ? bearing caps ? axle bent ?carrier went out ? ( how do you tell if the carrier went out ??it happened right when i was driving home and i heard my gears whinning like a mofo then clunk clunk clunk( turned the car home and towed it ) i took thedifferential cover of and found no pices of metal and the ring and pinion 100%... still when the car is in neutral the sound keeps going on looks like time to get a whole new diffrential ? or just rebuild ... would the part that is closest connected out of the diffrerential be the 3rd menber or is it a yoke ?? i have no clue which one it is ??
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 11-18-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

yes you are right about that it will never fix the weak differential ill start saving but the humming is more like a banging agianst my floor boards when i let the gas off when it is in gear i have to work 6 days a week and i will get it torn-down as soon as i can any idea ? carrier bearings ? pinion bearings ? bearing caps ? axle bent ?it happened right when i was driving home and i heard my gears whinning like a mofo then clunk clunk clunk had to tow the car home and still when the car is in nutral the sound keeps going on looks like time to get a whole new diffrential ? or just rebuild ... would the partthat is closest connected out of the diffrerential be the 3rd menber or is it a yoke ?? i have no clue which one it is ??
    Woah woah woah. You didn't describe it has any kind of banging etc That's different then a little humming. Your best bet right now, if it is banging around is to remove the cover and take a look inside. That will tell you what scale of destruction it is. If its banging,clunking to the point you had to tow it home, I'm betting your gonna get a few metal part surprises when you crack the cover. I have before with a 12 bolt Its hard to tell right now, so just take that cover off, get a good light and rotate then wheels while checking inside.

If you can swing it, start checking the forums for used 12 bolts or 9".

Also, that part is the differential yoke. Really IMO, 9" have 3 members. 12 bolts, 10 bolts etc have a center section. I call it a 3rd membr when you can take the entire piece out all in one grab.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

which route did you go with your set up 9 inch or the moser 12 bolt? (im an engine builder and with this economy hours are more like part time now) i basically have the know how to fix everything on my car its just diffrentials are not my best subject.wow i just called myself a neweb to diffrentials.. you're a good guy 4 being patient with me . these diffrentials suck i hope i hit the lottery and then i gan buy everyone with a f-body a new diffrential
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 11-18-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

which route did you go with your set up 9 inch or the moser 12 bolt? (im an engine builder and with this economy hours are more like part time now) i basically have the know how to fix everything on my car its just diffrentials are not my best subject.wow i just called myself a neweb to diffrentials.. you're a good guy 4 being patient with me . these diffrentials suck i hope i hit the lottery and then i gan buy everyone with a f-body a new diffrential
    12 bolt blew up on me due to a poor build. ( Not I )

After that I went to a Moser 9". 4.11 gear, Tru Trac

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Woah woah woah. You didn't describe it has any kind of banging etc That's different then a little humming. Your best bet right now, if it is banging around is to remove the cover and take a look inside. That will tell you what scale of destruction it is. If its banging,clunking to the point you had to tow it home, I'm betting your gonna get a few metal part surprises when you crack the cover. I have before with a 12 bolt Its hard to tell right now, so just take that cover off, get a good light and rotate then wheels while checking inside.

If you can swing it, start checking the forums for used 12 bolts or 9".

Also, that part is the differential yoke. Really IMO, 9" have 3 members. 12 bolts, 10 bolts etc have a center section. I call it a 3rd membr when you can take the entire piece out all in one grab.
    ok will do so if i find mad pices of metal and the ring teeth are gone will it make a banging noise on the car .? it is also now madd leaking at the crush collar .. i will be looking on the forms for a used differential do u have your stocker :? or did it blow on u 2 ?well time for the teardown i'll keep ya posted when i get this apart .
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 11-18-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Yes, It will make all kind of noise.

My 12 bolt blew because the dumb ass that put it together didnt Loctite thee bolts and 4 backed of the ring gear while I was at the top of 3rd gear. That was fun and awfully noisy No stocker here. I only have one rear end, and thats my 9". Thank god. I sold my 12 bolt to a local guy for cheap.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

From everything you have said it sounds like the pinion nut backed off. drop the drive shaft at the rear and pull the rear cover off and see how much slack you have in that pinion.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    From everything you have said it sounds like the pinion nut backed off. drop the drive shaft at the rear and pull the rear cover off and see how much slack you have in that pinion.
    i tore down my drivetrain today and found out that the pinion nut at the u joint poped the threads off and blew my bearings in my differential .... did some resisual damage to the u-joint bearings also ... this sucks but at least i know what is going on after the teardown .+1 jaycenk u were dead on. looks like ill be rebuilding it soon ..asap anyone know ofany sales on rebuild kits ??

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Good luck with it. You should be able to get the parts from lots of places. Check sponsor sites.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Thanks i just got the rear end back after taking it out 2 days ago ( a complete rebuild with a new ring and pinion since i had track only gears in from my cars seasons as a Drag Race only car . I am so Happy im trying to drink hot coco to get some sleep but i can't stop thinking about getting my 402 back on the road .i cant wait to get this in in the morning

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

so i've always had my pinion angle at -4 but 1 thing before i bolt everything up in the morning i have hotchkis lca's and i cant remember were to put The bolt in in the top hole or the bottom hole damit ...

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Well I cant help you there. but soon enough I will be getting into that section of mine. Haven't had time to read up on it as of late. Maybe after Christmas. someone might pipe in here and know.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 402 Guru View Post
    so i've always had my pinion angle at -4 but 1 thing before i bolt everything up in the morning i have hotchkis lca's and i cant remember were to put The bolt in in the top hole or the bottom hole damit ...
    Do you have relocation brackets? If so, Try the middle. Thats a good starting spot. Depending how it acts at the track, you might lower it to the bottom hole. I did as well as many others.

Thread Information