Thread: 3:23 to 3:73s?

Rally Red
    2001 Camaro RS

3:23 to 3:73s?

Hey guys, I'm new here. I don't have an LS1, just an L36 (3.8v6 - 5spd) in my Camaro. I was thinking about changing from the stock 3:23s to 3:73s. My diff is not limited slip right now, but I bought one off ebay and I am wondering what kind of acceleration difference I might get with a new 3:73. Would it be worth the $300 for new gears?

I know it's only a v6, but it is pretty quick for what it is. And It's a one wheel wonder right now, and lights that one wheel up too easily - hense the coming posi. I figured since I will have the diff out anyway........

Thanks.

White
    1998 Trans Am

That will be a good, fun gear for you !!! You still might need a hand held programmer to program in the new gear ratio...

Junior Member jason_a_marzewski's Avatar

BRIGHT RALLY RED
    2002 CAMARO Z28RS

Dude, welcome aboard the board!

I've had the privilege of driving several 5-speed, V-6 Camaros and enjoyed each experience.

Over the past ten years, I've read numeous online and print articles in which the authors recommend 4.10 gears for manual Camaros and 3.73 gears for automatic Camaros. (I put 3.73 gears in my automatic, and have enjoyed everthing about the swap except the lower fuel economy.)

I originally had 2.73 gears and replaced them with the 3.73's. Since you're currently running 3.23 gears, you might enjoy the more marked accelaration of the 4.10's compared to the 3.73's.

You may also consider telephoning Summit Racing and/or Jegs and asking a technician for a recommendation for your application. I've done this before and, while everyone's experience can vary, I have always been very pleased and impressed with these stores' tech support personnel.

You will need a hand-held programmer such as a DiabloSport Predator or Hypertech Power Programmer III to re-calibrate your speedometer to match the new gears that you select.

Good luck with your installation and keep us posted on your results!

Thread Information