2001 Camaro SS CLUTCH ISSUES

My best friend has a 01 SS and his clutch pedal went to the floor. I opened the master cylinder and it was absent of fluid. I refilled the resevior and attempted to bleed the system with the bleeder valve on the bellhousing. Two broken universals on my ratchet later I gave up on that and bought a mighty vac. I pumped the mighty vac up and I consistently loose vacuum at 10 lbs, just drops off completely. I returned the vac and got another, same problem. Holds vacuum fine if i plug the end with my thumb, but on the system goes to 10 and loses vac. At one point we got the pedal back but lost it again after a couple of pumps of the pedal. Anyone have any clue as to what would cause this? Bad master cylinder? Bad slave cylinder? Both? I am at a total loss here. Thanks for any help.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Sounds like there is a leak in the system. It could be the master or the slave. the slave is more common to leak, but its not a bad idea to replace both the master and slave. I recommend only using an oem GM slave. As for the master, the good ones are: Tick, Ram, and OEM GM. Try to avoid the cheap, Chinese knock-offs they sell at AutoZone, Napa, O'Reillys, etc.

Thank you for the response. I was afraid this was the case. Guess I am pulling the tranny.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

One thing you could do is go down by the bleeder and punch a dent in the tunnel so you can go from the inside and drill a hole through the tunnel giving you access to the bleeder from the inside. Possible there is a leak but might be worth another try

Thread Information