Big Z

2000 Z28 Noise from rear?

Sorry if this has been covered, I saw a couple other rear end threads but i didnt know which one to put it in. So, anyway, as I accelerate there is a noise coming from the rear. It sounds kind of like a scrape/grind or a constant howl and it gets louder as I increase speed. there is also a bit of a whine at high speeds when gas is applied, but I figure thats pretty normal, its not too loud. When the car is on jackstands, If I put my head right under the differential the only noise I hear is what I'm assuming is the driveshaft turning or even just the gears inside the diff turning, it seems like it should be normal. I've been under my buddies 95 formula before and it made the same noise. If I listen at the wheels there is a scrape, which sounds like its from the brakes, like a light scrape as the pads pass over warped areas of the rotor. but the rear rotors are fine, although the fronts have grooves in them. the pads are about two weeks old. Also the noise doesnt change with braking, except it gets quiet as I decelerate, just the same as it gets louder with acceleration. Does anyone know whats going on? Thanks a lot!

2000 Z28 M6 78,000 miles
    Last edited by Big Z; 08-30-2005 at 07:39 AM.

99 Firebird Formula

Could be time for new bearings. Probably wouldn't hurt to remove the rear cover and make sure there is not excess material at the bottom of the housing. New gear lube is really cheap anyway.

Big Z
    bearings in the axle or the wheel bearings? and would I need special tools to change them or would that be something id be better off taking to someone?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

axel and/or carrier bearing

Red
    2001 Z28

All six bearings were pitted on my car by 58.xxx miles. Here is a good link to let you know what you are getting into.
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/axletech/
    Rebuild it, not that hard.

Big Z
    Ouch, that sounds complex to me and I haven't got half those tools (I've only got the simplest of tools because I can't afford expensive specialty ones right now). Any ideas on how much I'd be looking at for a shop to replace the bearings? I'll be taking it in to be looked at next week, when I get paid. Thanks a lot for the helpful comments and pages guys, you've been very informative.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

depends if there's damage to the axels or not. If there is i'd say around 1100 cause i'm sure it's at least 8 hrs labor...plus all the bearings and races...axel/s

Red
    2001 Z28

That link is just to kinda let you know whats in there.
    I did mine.
    Tools I used
    Air tools are a must.
    Brass hammer and punches
    inch lb torque wrench (beam type)
    Foot lb torque wrench
    dial calipers
    shop press (harbor freight) cheap.
    dead blow hammer.
    companion flange holder (yoke holder) the pipe wrench just didn't work. If you leave the rear in the car you can wedge a pry bar between the bolts in the yoke.
    I put a solid spacer in mine crush sleeve= leaks. not that hard.
    If you don't want to do it yourself make sure you take it to a shop that knows whats up. A 4x4 or standard transmission place should have at least one guy that can do it.
    Or just get one from a scrap yard

outlawz01
    Hey man it is definetly your axle and pinion bearings i just got done going thru that for the 4th time. It would only cost like 250 to have pull it apart and put a new install kit in. which includes all the bearings and seals. I had this same thing and when i was driving it to the shop my pinion bearing seazed up and snaped my pinion in half. have them check your axles out too if there is too much wear you will need to get those replaced too. it is also a possibility your axles could be bent or warped.

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    depends if there's damage to the axels or not. If there is i'd say around 1100 cause i'm sure it's at least 8 hrs labor...plus all the bearings and races...axel/s
    If you are going to spend anywhere close to this amount and plan to have the car for a while just upgrade to a new twelve bolt.......it will pay off in the long run.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Liquifire
    If you are going to spend anywhere close to this amount and plan to have the car for a while just upgrade to a new twelve bolt.......it will pay off in the long run.
    How much will an upgrade from a stock 10 bolt to 12 bolt run at an auto shop (not a dealer)?

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

one thing, my car was doing this and i thought it was bearings but it turned out to be that the backlash on the gears was a little too much. luckily, i work at a shop so it was taken care of

J Meyers
    glad I found this thread- my 2000 Z is doing the same thing. Power on - noise. Power off - no noise.
    I'm thinking of replacing with a 9 inch. I already have a center section with 4.11's in it and also have a brand new Lock-Rite dif in the box sitting on the shelf.
    What would you guys do? Fix the old rearend or buy a new 9 inch housing? How big of a headache in putting the 9 inch in? Will my brakes and ABS work? Thanks.

J Meyers
    just talked to the dealer. they will replace my rear with a 9" for no charge.

Thread Information