2 series carrier with spacer?

This is a discussion on 2 series carrier with spacer? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Trying to decide which would be better,I have a 2 series carrier with 2.73's and was thinking about using a ...

01 Formula

Question 2 series carrier with spacer?

Trying to decide which would be better,I have a 2 series carrier with 2.73's and was thinking about using a ring and pinion spacer to use 3 series gears.Ive also am just considering just using 2 series 3.73 gears.Need to know if its a concern putting some strain on that type of spacer setup?

Are we talking about the 7.5 here???

Spacers were the thing many years ago. Now gear manufactures make thicker ring gears to take up the slack making the spacer no longer necessary. Problem is if you upgrade or need a new posi in the future,,,that thick ring gear is only good for the 2 series carrier.

I personally don't use the spacers anymore. It takes longer bolts for the ring gear install, and you don't get as much ring gear pressed onto the carrier with the spacer installed, which helps with strength and of course centering the ring gear in relation to the carrier. Depends on how picky you want to be and future plans of the car. My setups don't whine and I don't like taking shortcuts on the assembly or parts either.

Gear manufactures also make thinner ring gears to install a 3 series gear on a 4 series carrier, which was a real nice addition.

If it were mine I would do one of two things.

If you don't have a ring gear yet and you want to keep that 2 series carrier, go with the thicker gear.

If you have a gear for a 3 series carrier already in hand,,,I would look into a new 3 series carrier for the gear and be done with it. This would especially be a good route if the 2 series carrier in question has alot of miles and is of the cone style unit. Hope that helps, Larry.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-22-2008 at 03:52 PM.

01 Formula

Thanks Larry,yeah its a 7.5 and probably going with the thicker gear.

Thread Information