Primer
    1971 RS Camaro

1971 RS.....Wich way to Go? Oldschool or Restomod?

I would like to say hi to everyone , this is my first post ( probably not the last one) I make on this forum.

Ok I have a dilemma, and I know you guys are die hard LS engines lovers so even if your answer is a biased , say it , I want to know what you think !

The dilemma is:

I own a 1971 RS camaro , originally a gold ext. \black int. car but now its on primer and the interior is all gone. It has a functional 350 in it, with headers , a new painless wiring kit and a 10 bolt posi rear with 3.73 gears.

This is a very solid car , 99% rust free and i carefully picked this car since this is my favorite F-body. Its not a rare car , I haven't found the build sheet , but im pretty sure its not one of those that will sell for 150K at Barrett Jackson...I just want a car I can build to my taste and keep for my daughter.

I own a couple of vehicles and numerous motorcycles (I use to race bikes). So it will not be my only car , and i will not go crazy about the build-up polishing every bolts and putting a 15K paint job on it. I want a very clean driver that has some serious balls but something that I can drive all the way to florida without overheating or being stuck on the side of the road.

Here is what I want:

capable of low 12s on street tires.
    to remain fully driveable in traffic , highway and wherever I want to go.
    RE-LI-AB-LE ...
    Its going to be manual no matter which engine I decide ( T-56 ).
    The car will look and feel like stock , including WORKING ORIGINAL GAUGES.

So this is where I'm a bit confused and need your opinion:

Idea # 1 : re-using the original v8 layout, maybe the stock 350 , maybe a stroker , I dont know , but Im talking about stock looking motor , with a carburetor and obviously low 12s would be harder considering i want to keep it driveable ,so I would have to give up some performance for the sake of an easier buildup.

Idea #2 : Using a LS1 and t-56 from a donor car , refresh everything, put an LS6 intake , cam and some head work , use a plug and play ECM and wiring and I have just opened a can of worm for the build-up ...since Im dumb with electronics.

Idea #3 Using a LQ4 or LQ9 with the same T-56, LS6 intake, cam and head work....another can of worms but also 85 pounds heavier in the nose, Do I really want that?

Idea #4 Using an LS motor ( LQ4-LQ9-LS1) , slap the t-56 on it, BUT I would use a Demon carb on an aftermarket carbed intake. Maybe it would create less troubles doing the swap?? Would it be really easier??

I really dont know what to do , give me your opinions it will be really appreciated.

Cheers.
    Peter.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

First off you wanna sell it? Secondly I'd go with the first or fourth choice leaning towards #4 more just to be a lil different and for the power.

I'd go with option 2 and call it a learning experience. You will have a more reliable car that gets decent gas mileage. If you run into problems there is lots of help out there as LS conversions are very popular. I'd save the extra weight and stick with an LS as you are not looking to go FI or NOS and the power you need to meet your goals will not require any major internal mods.

Primer
    1971 RS Camaro

HOBS, lol yeah maybe for the right price I'm always a seller. I noticed that in theory a LQ4 or 9 will not fir under a stock hood if converted to carburetor. I talking to guys who did it and had stock hood clearancing issues.

Also I like challenges too, its a learning experience, but this year i also have to dig my basement, replace the roof (STEEL) , and build a bigger garage...

So maybe the easy 1gen coupled with a t-56 sounds like a decent compromise.

Ummm...

black
    02 vette vert

cragar ss, weld pro-star or superlite wheels, keep the car down in the ass end, big block with a little juice maybe [actually prefer not, but just in case you have to go a little faster] w/ a big fat holley on top. there is enough computer shit out there already.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

4 would be a good choice. Get an LS1 and have the light weight, have the t-56 already bolted. There are tons of aftermarket parts available for the swap. If you want to be really different I think World products is making a gen 1 block that will accept the ls heads. It will bolt up to your factory motor mounts.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Before owning my T/A, I was a staunch advocate of keeping old school -- old school. After experiencing first hand what the LS is capable of stock out of the box, I have since reconsidered and have actually pondered LS power for some of our project cars. Easy answer is that you have to live with your creation - so do what makes you happy. Just be sure to post pics along the way.

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Before owning my T/A, I was a staunch advocate of keeping old school -- old school. After experiencing first hand what the LS is capable of stock out of the box, I have since reconsidered and have actually pondered LS power for some of our project cars. Easy answer is that you have to live with your creation - so do what makes you happy. Just be sure to post pics along the way.

Good advice.....+1

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Good to know but I gotta payoff my truck before I can buy a new toy. I'll bug you in a few months once its paid off.

Thread Information