Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 bolt

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

12 bolt

i'm thinking about either replacing my 200,000 mile 10 bolt with a 12-bolt or rebuilding my 10 bolt (new 3.42 gears,complete kit with all the bearings,and new axles).before y'all call me crazy(or worse) for rebuilding a weak a$$ 10 bolt,my t/a is a daily driver and has only seen the track once,not to mention it's a auto and only runs street radials.i would like to get a new 12-bolt from Moser or Strange, but $2250 is a lot of cash and i think its overkill because my stock 10 bolt has done fine for 200,000 miles. my question is,is there anyone that sells 12 bolts that are new and cost around $1000? i don't want a used one.suggestions?

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

you may find a used 12 bolt for that price, but if you dont tear it up really like u stated, but a nice rebuild 10 bolt would be fine to me. but if you take it to the track and beat on it, well then 12 bolt,

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've always said not to put money into the 10 bolt but if you're dead set on keeping the 10 bolt your best bet is probably to just buy a complete one used. I usually see them for $200ish or so. Probably have more than that in yours rebuilding it.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

i thought about a used ten bolt out of a manual f-body with the 3.42 gears already in there,but i am concerned with the ethics of salvage yards,and most guys with six-speed ls1 powered cars beat them rear ends up pretty good,hence the need for stronger rears.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by zmg00camaross View Post
    you may find a used 12 bolt for that price, but if you dont tear it up really like u stated, but a nice rebuild 10 bolt would be fine to me. but if you take it to the track and beat on it, well then 12 bolt,
    yeah,the t/a will not see much track time at all,probably just a few runs to see what she'll do,but that will be much later down the road,after the ls6 engine swap i'm planning for 2011.rear end and trans upgrades will come early next year.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well, I just sold my used 12 bolt for 1000 bucks. Granted, it was not assembled, but all that guy needed was a ring/pinion install kit. He made out pretty well I would say. You just need to find someone that is selling for cheaper then usual. The guy who bought mine will probably have 1400 into it. The 10 bolt might last you a good while judging by your driving habits and tire choices. Its up to you, a used 12 bolt is almost immediately stronger then a new 10 bolt if its in decent condition.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

guessing you did not sell that 12 bolt to joshiedoom.lol

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    guessing you did not sell that 12 bolt to joshiedoom.lol
    Um, no. I sold it to a really cool guy with an awesome 2001 TA WS6. Guy paid in cash

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

yeah,the t/a will not see much track time at all,probably just a few runs to see what she'll do,but that will be much later down the road,after the ls6 engine swap i'm planning for 2011.rear end and trans upgrades will come early next year.
    yea i think a 10 bolt will last, and i never put money in a 10 bolt, but as long as you respect its a piece of crap and dont beat on it crazy, mine 10 bolt wasnt lucky, now have a 9 inch.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

update: rear end is making a popping sound when turning right,i figured the rear axle fluid and limited slip additive needed to changed,it did,but the popping noise remains.so do i need to replace the carrier if i decide to rebuild the 10 bolt?i already planned to replaced the gears,all the bearings,and the axles.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I really hate to see you rebuild the 10 bolt and then a year later it start doing the something else and have to rebuild again etc. I know you really don't need a 12 bolt or other upgraded rear for your purposes, but I just hate putting any money into a 10 bolt.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I really hate to see you rebuild the 10 bolt and then a year later it start doing the something else and have to rebuild again etc. I know you really don't need a 12 bolt or other upgraded rear for your purposes, but I just hate putting any money into a 10 bolt.
    agreed

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

so the best route to go is too bite the bullet and get a 12-bolt? i guess it's better to have a stronger rear end than i need than a barely adequate 10 bolt.is there any board sponsors that sell new 12 bolts?

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

bite the bullet, i think it makes a car worth more in my eyes.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

update: rear end is making a popping sound when turning right,i figured the rear axle fluid and limited slip additive needed to changed,it did,but the popping noise remains.so do i need to replace the carrier if i decide to rebuild the 10 bolt?i already planned to replaced the gears,all the bearings,and the axles.
    If you were going to replace all that might as well just get the 12 bolt.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

You may be able to get a 10 bolt free. If you were closer, you could have mine. No one wants to bother with the shipping, and most people won't buy one used so you're stuck with them sometimes. I've been trying to give mine away for 3 years now. Post it up in "wanted" and see if you can score a freebie.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I appreciate the offer,but I have decided to get a 12 bolt,probably a Moser.thanks for the help,guys!

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

I appreciate the offer,but I have decided to get a 12 bolt,probably a Moser.thanks for the help,guys!
    Cool! You'll love it. I'v been kicking the snot outta mine since I bolted it in. No problems at all. What gears are you going with? I would go 4.11. I did 3.73 in mine, and I've been regretting it ever since. Car moves good, but the gear change basically just offset the extra weight.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Probably a wise decision.

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

I would just get a used 10-bolt u really dont need to spend the money on a 12-bolt & if I were gonna do a rear change it wouldn't be a 12-bolt or a Strange! But i do think that
    3.42 is a nice choice for an A4 DD

Thread Information