10 bolt with true trac?

This is a discussion on 10 bolt with true trac? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a big cam and 3.42 gears and 6 speed. I hate trying to drive under 10 or 15 ...

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

10 bolt with true trac?

I have a big cam and 3.42 gears and 6 speed. I hate trying to drive under 10 or 15 mph and it surges. If i put 4.10s in my ten bolt will it hold up with street tires? Not drag radials. It has a detroit true trac in it already. just dont want to waste money on gears if its guna blow apart. I dont drag it. Ok went down track 3 times and spun all the way but 100 ft from end. He he. Any input would be nice. Dont have money for 9 inch. Have a one year old and a teenager.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

It's a guessing game as to how long a 10 bolt will last. As an example, I upgraded my 10 bolt as far as I could, and broke the teeth off the gears at the track. So I threw a set of 4.11's and some street tires on it. I blew three teeth off the ring gear about a month later, while on the street. Hadn't raced it once.

I wouldn't recommend spending any money on one unless absolutely necessary. If you have the gears or can get them cheap, and can install them yourself, then go ahead. If you will need a shop to install them, then it's not worth it.

I'd put family on front of the car and forget about it. Spending money on the 10 bolt is wasted money that could have went for diapers

Just drive around in a lower gear, no more surging . It will still surge with 4.10's anyway, it will just do it in a higher gear. Still required to downshift to keep the rpms happy, that's typical big cam/stick shift stuff

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Thanx for the input guys. Thats what i thought. save for a 9 in. but another question. If i get a moser is everything there for the abs and speed sensors for trac control like the factory rear end? Because my wife does drive every once in a while. dont need her putting it in the ditch.Hehe

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nite2000 View Post
    Thanx for the input guys. Thats what i thought. save for a 9 in. but another question. If i get a moser is everything there for the abs and speed sensors for trac control like the factory rear end? Because my wife does drive every once in a while. dont need her putting it in the ditch.Hehe
    You can choose to have ABS with the Moser. It does cost extra though. I opted for it on mine.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

As Jon stated, you can retain ABS and TCS with a Moser rear. I have both on mine. They have quite a few options really.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

thanx guys. i will save for that and try not to destroy this 10 bolt to soon.HEHE

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

TruTrac is as brittle as the 10 bolt.

If you are having issues spinning now, it will only get worse with more gear.

Thread Information