Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

10 bolt with slicks

This is a discussion on 10 bolt with slicks within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i was thinking about putting slicks on my 98 t/a i put a 3400 fuddle stall in it and now ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Butler mo
    Posts
    76

    Blue
    98 Trans Am

    10 bolt with slicks

    i was thinking about putting slicks on my 98 t/a i put a 3400 fuddle stall in it and now it smokes the tires half way through 2nd gear i know the factory axles won't handle it so i was gonna put some moser axles in it. im not ready to spend the money for a whole moser rearend ,tell me what u think will it work or am i gonna be walkin home lol

  2. #2
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Its the gears that are weak.. and the axles. Get a 12 bolt or go for broke with the 9 inch

  3. #3
    Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fresno Ca
    Posts
    2,228

    LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

    Fuck 10 bolts!

  4. #4
    Member cuzimoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Newport Beach
    Posts
    407

    Black
    99 Formula

    If your running slower than 12s that rear can last awhile with A4. They don't last a day with M6's. My friends got a A4 that has run as fast as 12.2 having made several hundred passes on stock rear. The A4 just aint as abusive. My wife's third gen has 10 bolt with 4.10s and stock axles 3500 stall convertor and has made over a 100 passes on it. Last pass which was today was 11.93 @ 117.95, her first 11 second run.

  5. #5
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by cuzimoto View Post
    If your running slower than 12s that rear can last awhile with A4. They don't last a day with M6's. My friends got a A4 that has run as fast as 12.2 having made several hundred passes on stock rear. The A4 just aint as abusive. My wife's third gen has 10 bolt with 4.10s and stock axles 3500 stall convertor and has made over a 100 passes on it. Last pass which was today was 11.93 @ 117.95, her first 11 second run.

    Isnt neccesarily true. They can pop at anytime. Just the m6 is a bit more abusive to it.

  6. #6
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    If you want to play you have to pay is the saying right? I am looking at the Moser 9" myself. $2400....ouch. A shop owner told me the same thing that everyone else is saying...A4 might be OK. M6 can literally go at any time.

  7. #7
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Its the gears that are weak.. and the axles. Get a 12 bolt or go for broke with the 9 inch
    ...its the pumpkin/carrier..it flexes way to much..causing the gears to deviate from the teeth contact area and grenades the entire rear...that matched with stupid ass c clips = disaster

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    6

    Black
    02 SS camaro

    If your much over 450 ponies, axles are a waste. For all the money you will put into the stock rear, a 12 inch would be less expensive in the long run.

  9. #9
    Member NoscamaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Durant, Okla
    Posts
    737

    NBM
    2002 Camaro

    We turn 1.6 60's on the factory rearend and axles, never had a single problem. BTW, the car is a A4 and we are spraying a 175 shot right off the line on M/T drag radials.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Glen Carbon, IL
    Age
    39
    Posts
    397

    Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

    Wheel hopping 1.52 60'

    10.62 @ 128 on a 3.42 stock 10 bolt. I use 26-10.50-16 ET Streets

  11. #11
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    there are always exceptions to the norm..but let me tell you THE NORM. if your pushing serious numbers then the 10 bolt is out..a4 or m6 ..PERIOD

  12. #12
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    You guys running 1.5 and 1.6 60's are on borrowed time with those 10 bolts,,,,whether auto or not. Probably a very light car is the only thing saving you right now.
    Eventually it's going to break,,,and if you're lucky you might not wreck the car and/or someone elses,,,or worse yet,,,someone gets hurt in the process.

    I can't believe there are still people out there that spend tons of money are so worried about making their car as fast as possible but don't want to spend a dime on the rearend It's just asking for trouble. It's why the NHRA has ET and MPH rules for c-clip eliminators, drive shaft loops and such.

    I've been in these situations,,,no more for me,,,and I would have to say if someone came accross the center line on me because they were too cheap to put an acceptable rearend in the car I would have to get out and put a couple knots on their heads and hope it was a lesson learned.

    Edit: I mean that in the nicest way possible,,lol.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 11-11-2008 at 08:06 AM.

  13. #13
    Member NoscamaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Durant, Okla
    Posts
    737

    NBM
    2002 Camaro

    ^^Actually thats on a stock weight car, no lightening at all.

  14. #14
    Rice Hungry GottaHaveLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,316

    Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

    I really wish GM didn't skimp on the reliability of the 10 bolt (and nearly everything else on the f body). how stout are the ls1 vette rear ends?

  15. #15
    Rice Killa JwMonE99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,561

    Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

    Vettes have IRS. ITs just harder to launch with and they wont be able to lift the front tires


    300RWHP, 341RWTQ
    1/8 mile 8.32 at 83.97
    1/4 mile 13.049 at 105.24

  16. #16
    Rice Killa JwMonE99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,561

    Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

    And I really wish they had cheaper rear ends. All the ones available are like bullit proof. I just want one that could handle like 600 or 700 hp not 1,500hp

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You guys running 1.5 and 1.6 60's are on borrowed time with those 10 bolts,,,,whether auto or not. Probably a very light car is the only thing saving you right now.
    Eventually it's going to break,,,and if you're lucky you might not wreck the car and/or someone elses,,,or worse yet,,,someone gets hurt in the process.

    I can't believe there are still people out there that spend tons of money are so worried about making their car as fast as possible but don't want to spend a dime on the rearend It's just asking for trouble. It's why the NHRA has ET and MPH rules for c-clip eliminators, drive shaft loops and such.

    I've been in these situations,,,no more for me,,,and I would have to say if someone came accross the center line on me because they were too cheap to put an acceptable rearend in the car I would have to get out and put a couple knots on their heads and hope it was a lesson learned.

    Edit: I mean that in the nicest way possible,,lol.
    I agree. I will never understand why someone will invest 10K plus in engine and tranny mods yet balk at 2500 for a bullet proof rear. The 10 bolt is a POS and if you want to go fast safely get rid of it. Put slicks on and you will be on borrowed time. Maybe you will get a 100 passes out of it but maybe 101 breaks halfway down the track and your car is wasted. Not worth the risk IMO.

  18. #18
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    I really wish GM didn't skimp on the reliability of the 10 bolt (and nearly everything else on the f body). how stout are the ls1 vette rear ends?
    for stock applications and reasonable DD..the 10 bolt is satisfactory...if you really want to know why gm skimped on those parts..because it used all of its budget on giving you the top of the line motor and overall a very solid drivetrain..even tho the 4l60e isnt the best gm is/was out ot make money and when they designed these cars they where targeted to the mustang group etc..so price was a huge factor.

  19. #19
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    for stock applications and reasonable DD..the 10 bolt is satisfactory...if you really want to know why gm skimped on those parts..because it used all of its budget on giving you the top of the line motor and overall a very solid drivetrain..even tho the 4l60e isnt the best gm is/was out ot make money and when they designed these cars they where targeted to the mustang group etc..so price was a huge factor.
    This is true.

    The mistake they made was not the fact that they put a 10 bolt in F-bodies, its the fact that its the 7.5" 10 bolt. For the extremely small amount of money it would have cost, GM should have equipped our cars with the 8.5" 10 bolt. Guarentee we wouldn't even see half the rear end failures that we have, and guys running 500HP or less wouldn't have to upgrade to aftermarket rears for fear of the stock one breaking from a hard launch.

  20. #20
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    for stock applications and reasonable DD..the 10 bolt is satisfactory...if you really want to know why gm skimped on those parts..because it used all of its budget on giving you the top of the line motor and overall a very solid drivetrain..even tho the 4l60e isnt the best gm is/was out ot make money and when they designed these cars they where targeted to the mustang group etc..so price was a huge factor.
    GM already had the tooling finished for the torque arm 7.5 inch rearend since 1975,,,,it would have been too costly to retool another housing in something stronger unfortunately so GM went with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. bolt ons w/cam vs bolt ons w/slicks
    By FMR_TransAm in forum General Help
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 04:30 PM
  2. can we get a GP for slicks????
    By blackbirdbrain89 in forum Group Purchases Request
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 08:29 PM
  3. slicks???
    By Fbody4ever in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 01:50 PM
  4. Slicks
    By gcross in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 10:10 PM
  5. 10 Bolt and Slicks
    By BowtieFever in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-14-2006, 02:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •