Pewter Metallic
    2000 WS6 Formula

10 bolt rearend cover

I'm wanting to install an aftermarket cover for my stock 10 bolt rear diff and noticed that the WS6 store offers two; the MAC rear end girdle and the T/A Performance rear end girdle. Looks like the MAC comes with gaskets and new bolts, while the T/A looks like it's just the cover. Is there really any difference between the two? Does one fit better than the other? Interested in the opinion of those who have installed them! Thanks.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

OP, you will most likely not get to much of a response for this question. Sorry, but many here do not rebuild or upgrade the 10bolts because they are weak POS. Most end up going to 9" for M6's and 12 bolts for A4 cars. Now some have done gear swaps and such but in the end still go to the 9" or 12 bolt.

Now if you really want an answer to your question call them up and ask. I have, in the past when ordering stuff from them and they answer all of my questions. Also any salesman worth a damn will tell the customer all the info they wanted on the products they sale.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I have the T/A girdle on my diff. These things will help strengthen any differential, but as we all know these F-bodies are not known for strong OE diffs. I thought I'd do this upgrade to give mine more life, and something has helped since I've not had any problems. However, I've never run slicks or really abused it. I do get on it a lot, roast my tires all the time, but I don't do stupid stuff with it either like power shifting/donuts/etc. I also welded the axle tubes to the center section, that makes 'em stronger also. I would do cheap things like this, but if it ever does die, I won't get another weak link like this.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 WS6 Formula

I know the 10 bolt is a weak spot in the drivetrain, but I wouldn't replace it until it actually broke. I plan on a heads/cam mod good for about 450 hp and want to help the rearend live as long as possible. I'm not going to be doing autocross or the dragstrip, just around town and the occassional stop light encounter! Any clearance problems with the "aluminum" diff cover and the panhard bar? Thanks guys.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

It's your call, but I'd advise against waiting until the rear breaks to replace it. You never know where it will leave you stranded, and the damage it will do when it goes. Especially if you plan to try to run 450 hp through it. No sense having that much hp and not planning on using it effectively - ie. traction. But, get traction and you can kiss that 10 bolt goodbye. Sadly, it's one of these cars biggest downfalls. I personally wouldn't waste any money on the stocker, but that's just me.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Walt's right - what we are trying to tell you that your money is better spent in other places. I've seen rears blow holes through the cover.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by mrbvlo View Post
    I know the 10 bolt is a weak spot in the drivetrain, but I wouldn't replace it until it actually broke. I plan on a heads/cam mod good for about 450 hp and want to help the rearend live as long as possible. I'm not going to be doing autocross or the dragstrip, just around town and the occassional stop light encounter! Any clearance problems with the "aluminum" diff cover and the panhard bar? Thanks guys.
    No clearance issues with my otherwise stock rear suspension.

~450 HP? That'll be interesting to see how long it lives with that kind of power. I'm betting not too long. I've seen some reports on this forum of 10 bolts that have survived into the 11s w/drag radials, but I wouldn't advise that! I guess when you make the engine mod you can conduct the experiment on the diff!

bright red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

i use the Mac cover on mine, but my car is a weekend cruiser and i don't beat on it, not saying that i never romp on it, (once in awhile).i'm in the process of saving my money for a 12 bolt rear and stall converter
    Last edited by BadbirdLS1; 01-23-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Don't waste the cash. I have broken gears just the same with and without an aftermarket cover.

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

Whats everyones opinion on those clear covers?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Never heard of one. They certainly won't give any strength.

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

Their made of polycarbonate!

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Walt's right - what we are trying to tell you that your money is better spent in other places. I've seen rears blow holes through the cover.
    ^^ this has happened to me with the stock cover, and my rear end locked up...bad situation for sure. ive had the MAC rear end gurdle on ever since i fixed the diff. and no problems yet, and its held up for 4 years...and i have abused it a good amount. Everyone here is right about the stock 10 bolt being one of the weak links with these cars...if you have the money definitely get a 12 bolt for an A4 or a 9" for a M6, but if you dont, just spend the $150 for the MAC or T/A gurdle. the only difference with them imo is that the T/A cover looks nicer. this is just my .2 cents though, haha

Black
    99 Trans am

I bought the mac..not for performance.....for looks
    SLP CAI...P/P TB...LS6...PACESETTER LTS...TSP TDS...3.73s...UMI: STRUT-LCAs-TA-PH ROD-POLY MMs
    BILSTEINS/STRANO...FROST TUNE

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Never heard of a clear cover for a rear. Certainly not anything I would use on a 10 bolt -- they need all the help they can get to stay together.

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

Yeah a couple of my truck guys have them.... it's something to get used to seeing the oil held in mid air and seeing into the diff. . . .

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I wouldn't waste money on it even tho I did back in the day. I ended up getting a twelve bolt anyway. Of the covers I've seen and owned, I like the LPW cover better than the TA girdle as it came with a magnetic drain plug. The TA did not.

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

I wouldnt dump a cent into a ten bolt, save your 100 bucks or so and put it into a 12 or 9.

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

Medium Quasar Blue
    1995 Camaro Z28

Don't let the bolts that come with the Mac be your decision maker. The bolts that came with my Mac were barely long enough to catch the housing threads, about 1/4" longer would have been nice. (the stud girdle cover is MUCH thicker) I put mine on so i could easily do oil changes, and since it strengthens better than a stock cover I figured why not

Thread Information