Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    1999 camaro Z28

10 bolt question

I have a question about the notoriously weak 10 bolt rear ends on these F bodies. Does anyone know what part(s) most commonly give out? I've read the axles are weak. Everywhere you read about 10 bolts at the drag strip, someone blows a 10 bolt rear end. What part(s) actually broke? Thanks.

white
    2002 z28

i think its just a complete inferior design and structure for powerplant of our cars. soo

Metalic Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

Gears to small, better to just invest into a 9"
    www.fquick.com/dillard99
    SLP Lid,SLP Ram Induction,SLP Elbows,Headers Pacesetters Coated LT's, True Dual 3"Custom Pipes No Muffs /Cats,Put Me @ 346hp 358Tq Next TSP's
    Magic3 237in/242ex 112lsa SLP Underdrive,dual timing,Slp Oil Pump, Sphon Sway Bars,6point Roll Cage,Trick Flows =450+rwhp "Sold"

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

yeah the from what i know the teeth are thin so they will fit in the housing. enough hard launches with stick tires and some minor power mods and they go home

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Can't you change out the whole pumpkin with a 12 bolt pumpkin and be set?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

No, you have to change the entire rearend out.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

well someone told me wrong...

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I've seen 3 10 bolts grenade at the track. I said F it just bought my 9" should be at my house when I get off work. Plan on racing next year
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 10-28-2007 at 10:55 AM.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

what happens is the housing flexes to much which causes the contact of gears to get out of whack and gernades the system. as stated before the axles are weak. but the housing itself is the weakest point. If you fab/ buy a strength kit for the housing your 10-bolt can last ups of 400+hp and tq. its been discussed in depth at Pont hi-po....the 10 bolt is not inferior as stated..just ill equiped for the f-body application.

Black
    99 SS

this is the worst 10 bolt design, because it was derived from the S Dime truck, the axle is the 7.5" application being the weakest. the 8.5" 10 bolt is a great rearend and can make sub 8 second passes

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    this is the worst 10 bolt design, because it was derived from the S Dime truck, the axle is the 7.5" application being the weakest. the 8.5" 10 bolt is a great rearend and can make sub 8 second passes
    Everyone bitches about the 10 bolt in general, but I think we would be much better off if we had an 8.5" 10 bolt instead of the weakest rear of the corportate lineup, being the 7.5".

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I am glad we have a strong engine to expose the weakness of the differential. GM could easily have made these cars with only 250 HP, then upgraded to 280 by 2002. Rather spend my money on the differential than the engine. The engine wakes up so easily with only bolt-ons....

black
    2002 WS6

So far I am mildly happy with my 10 bolt, I give ita few good puls now and then but don't canstanlty beat on it. So far the only thing I have ad to do was get the pinion bearing replaced, and for some reason the axels seals wouldn't seat, the passanger side kept blowing out and leaking bady till the third set was put in. I had it apart to dot he second set adn the only ral wear i could see was on the splines, but it will be getting replaced at some point with a Strange set up.

white
    2002 z28

guy at the track today told me he replaced it 2 times this year (40+ passes he said) LOL , before going to the 12 bolt.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Isn't it funny how people add HP, bigger/sticky tires, and drag race their 10 bolts, and expect them not to break. GM didn't intend for these cars to be beat on that way. If you're gonna do all that stuff, use your head, and upgrade the rear-end to handle the mods.

The rear-ends hold-up with the stock HP, and tires. The tires are supposed to break loose, before the rear-end breaks.

That's my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.
    JIGGER RACIN'
    2000 Camaro SS, vert., auto., LS6 intake manifold, SLP lid, K&N filter, SLP LoudMouth II, C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims
    1/4 mile time = 13.310 sec. @ 105.22 mph, 2.051 60'

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2939958

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...amarolaeft.jpg

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    Isn't it funny how people add HP, bigger/sticky tires, and drag race their 10 bolts, and expect them not to break. GM didn't intend for these cars to be beat on that way. If you're gonna do all that stuff, use your head, and upgrade the rear-end to handle the mods.

The rear-ends hold-up with the stock HP, and tires. The tires are supposed to break loose, before the rear-end breaks.

Totally agree with this. Everyone wants the high HP but don't want to upgrade the rearend. The stock 10 bolt is just fine for a street car with a couple of bolt ons that doesn't see time at the track. Add all the goodies and get over 400 hp and try to run stickies at the TRACK? STUPID!!!!!

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Totally agree with this. Everyone wants the high HP but don't want to upgrade the rearend. The stock 10 bolt is just fine for a street car with a couple of bolt ons that doesn't see time at the track. Add all the goodies and get over 400 hp and try to run stickies at the TRACK? STUPID!!!!!

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Say What ? G.m. Didn't Intend On Customers Beating Their Camaro's ?

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post

Is this guy kidding or what ? Is that right ? So G.M. never intended for us to gas our LS1's . REALLY !
    I guess it never occured to G.M. that we might do just that.I know of several guys runnin bone stock that grenade the 10-bolt . Shame on those guys for beatin on those poor little weak 10-bolts.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Is this guy kidding or what ? Is that right ? So G.M. never intended for us to gas our LS1's . REALLY !
    I guess it never occured to G.M. that we might do just that.I know of several guys runnin bone stock that grenade the 10-bolt . Shame on those guys for beatin on those poor little weak 10-bolts.
    i also read that post and it gave me the "o" face....totally agree with you r sarcasm.... oh yeah its funny cuz i also own a 2002 pewter convertible z28(just got tired of that color so i chose the "inferno red"color by chrysler)

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Bone stock huh?
    No bigger than stock tires?
    And they probably never did any donuts, or "J" strips either.
    They are weak little 10-bolts, and if you beat on them, don't be surprised if they grenade.
    I've done burn-outs, and been to the drag-strip. But I don't do it all the time, because I know there's a chance my rear could break. I'm smarter than that.

Thread Information