Thread: 10-bolt Girdle

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

10-bolt Girdle

I have already rebuilt my 10-bolt once, and have added mods since. I am saving my pennies for a 12-bolt, but in the mean time, will a girdle help my 10-bolt last longer?

allllllllll black
    2002 35th z28

Good Question -im Going To Buy One. Im Looking At The Ultimate Version Which Has Ties To Hold The Axle Tubes So They Dont Bow Also...

NBM
    2000 FRC Camaro SS

I have one of these from JEG's the shop that rebuild my rear end said they're not worth the money, but the fact that you can hold more oil in them is.

Which is why I came here... I put 4 1/2 quarts of 84/140 back there this weekend and 4 oz of possi stuff... it still wasn't full... Could I cause damage to the axle seals by adding too much Oil? I figured if I over filled it it would blow out, but it wasn't all the way to the fill plug and so far it's not leaking at all.

EDIT: I filled the diff by the top plug in the Girdle... don't know if this was bad or not, but the hole in the girdle is above the centerline of the bearings by about 2" were as the fill hold on the diff is about level with the center of the bearings... will call the rear end shop to find out, I guess I pumped alot more oil in the diff than what was needed. It's not blowing out through the breather... so I don't know what to think, and I took her on a pass down the freeway at well over the posted 70mph limit

so don't make the same mistake I did, I guess it had been awhile since I serviced the diff and I just saw the plug up there.
    Last edited by KC&97TA; 09-03-2006 at 10:24 PM.

stab it and steer it!

red
    99 Z28 SS convertible

proper way to fill is from the hole on the girdle untill it starts to trickle out the factory hole on the side w/ the car level. too much oil won't damage the seals, but it may blow some out the vent... if that cover has a drain hole at the botttom, like LPW's does, then just drain some down to the proper level. BTW... if the installers had ever seen a rear end break the main caps from excessive force, they might change their opinion on the girdle. I've done alot of gears and complete rear end setups that I have seen this. The girdle is definetly worth the 140-150 to spend untill you upgrade rears. just ask anyone who had to spend 750-1000 after the cap breaks to fix it and then still buy the girdle! mind you that you have to be making enough power and be on stickys to stress the rear enough for this to happen. still cheap insurance...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Dont think it'll help it last longer but it looks cool.

allllllllll black
    2002 35th z28

I think the covor plus a few other handy mods to the s10 bolt like:
    welding the axle tubes,
    eaton limited slip
    richmond gears
    solid pinion spacer

i wouldnt buy axels unless they broke......then the s10 bolt would last a little longer than stock and the axle housing wouldnt flex

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by unnatural aspirations View Post
    I think the covor plus a few other handy mods to the s10 bolt like:
    welding the axle tubes,
    eaton limited slip
    richmond gears
    solid pinion spacer

i wouldnt buy axels unless they broke......then the s10 bolt would last a little longer than stock and the axle housing wouldnt flex
    You cant polish a terd.

allllllllll black
    2002 35th z28

great way to gain a little time. in my book its worth it if you dont launch.and time will give me a 12 bolt.in reality alot of f-body owners cannot just spring 2200 dollars for a bigger rear right away...yes i bought lil pieces here and there to make the crap 10 bolt last longer. do all the install at home and its worth it.i beleive a 10 bolt can withstand good hp but to a fine limit.

Thread Information