Results 1 to 10 of 10

10 bolt build up?

This is a discussion on 10 bolt build up? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; What you guys think of this? http://www.geocities.com/duragizer44...all.html#gears...

  1. #1
    Rice Killa JwMonE99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,561

    Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

    10 bolt build up?


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cedar Rpaids,IA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    354

    Red
    1998 Camaro SS

    In theory the mods would help make the 10 bolt a little stronger and would help on the flexing of the axle housing, but thatís only one problem with a 10 bolt. The internal gears, bearings, and c-clips are also very weak points and are why 10bolts break. Personally I believe that putting money into a 10 bolt is pointless, because itís not the matter of if it well break but more of when well it. The TA cover is a good add on tho since it comes with a drain plug and bearing caps, but itís only mod Iíd spend on a 10bolt. If youíre good with a welder and are welling to do some searching at the salvage yard you could pick up a 12 bolt or 9 inch some what cheap and put the 500 bucks into that and you would have a much stronger rearend.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

    1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

  3. #3
    Member zmg00camaross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    764

    pewter
    2000 camaro ss

    I didn't think there was a 10 bolt build up haha just save the money

  4. #4
    Rice Killa JwMonE99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,561

    Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by vetteemt View Post
    In theory the mods would help make the 10 bolt a little stronger and would help on the flexing of the axle housing, but thatís only one problem with a 10 bolt. The internal gears, bearings, and c-clips are also very weak points and are why 10bolts break. Personally I believe that putting money into a 10 bolt is pointless, because itís not the matter of if it well break but more of when well it. The TA cover is a good add on tho since it comes with a drain plug and bearing caps, but itís only mod Iíd spend on a 10bolt. If youíre good with a welder and are welling to do some searching at the salvage yard you could pick up a 12 bolt or 9 inch some what cheap and put the 500 bucks into that and you would have a much stronger rearend.
    I been looking into that but no one can seem to tell me what it takes to get an 8.8 to work in an f-body. They all say it just as much as going with a brand new 12 bolt or 9 inch.

  5. #5
    formally 01 T/A 0verkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego ca
    Posts
    2,253

    "Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

    send that guy a e-mail and find out if it held up to sticky tire's.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cedar Rpaids,IA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    354

    Red
    1998 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    I been looking into that but no one can seem to tell me what it takes to get an 8.8 to work in an f-body. They all say it just as much as going with a brand new 12 bolt or 9 inch.
    That’s where if you’re good with a welder comes in. If you can weld your own spring perches, LCA attachment points, and make a bracket for the torque arm. Then the only thing you would have to have someone else do is short the axle tubes, and get shorter axles.
    Now if you have to pay someone to do all this then yes it would be about the same price just to buy a 12bolt or 9 inch readend assemble for an Fbody. With that said like zmg00camaross said just save your money putting money into a 10 bolt just not worth it. Also remember that it you beef up the rearend then the transmission is the next weak link.

  7. #7
    Rice Killa JwMonE99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,561

    Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by vetteemt View Post
    Thatís where if youíre good with a welder comes in. If you can weld your own spring perches, LCA attachment points, and make a bracket for the torque arm. Then the only thing you would have to have someone else do is short the axle tubes, and get shorter axles.
    Now if you have to pay someone to do all this then yes it would be about the same price just to buy a 12bolt or 9 inch readend assemble for an Fbody. With that said like zmg00camaross said just save your money putting money into a 10 bolt just not worth it. Also remember that it you beef up the rearend then the transmission is the next weak link.
    I didn't think doing all that would cost over $1500 in welding.
    How is the T-56 next weak link?

  8. #8
    Rice Killa JwMonE99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,561

    Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    send that guy a e-mail and find out if it held up to sticky tire's.
    I did, no answer yet.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cedar Rpaids,IA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    354

    Red
    1998 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    I didn't think doing all that would cost over $1500 in welding.
    How is the T-56 next weak link?
    On the M6 normally a clutch upgrade is needed, because the stock one well start having issues with dumping the clutch alot at the strip. Also stock ujoints and yokes on the drive shaft are things that seem to break in stock form.

    Lets face it , if you making lots of torque like we are then multiply that torque via the gearing in the trans and reaend then adding sticky tires that donít allow any slip that lots of torque that the stock part have to handle with launching in first gear.

  10. #10
    Awaiting Activation
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    29

    White
    2000 Trans Am

    i blew the governor out of my a4 while spraying off the lights on the strip..275 nitto drags, also gotta real bad whine there after out of my rear end..lol i learned my lesson, won the race tho and drove it 50 miles home ha

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bolt-In Rearend Buyers Guide - Bolt-In Rearends -
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 03:40 AM
  2. 500CI Chevy LS1 Engine Build - How To Build A 500C
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 08:10 PM
  3. Bolt On Parts - Dyno Proven Bolt-ons - Tech
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 05:37 PM
  4. Center bolt to Perimeter bolt Heads, Coil Mounting help
    By juiced99ws6 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-31-2007, 12:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •