Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

05 Z71 diff recommendation

I have the rare scsb Z71 and I want to make it a street racer. Plans in the works are a 6l80 swap and SS front end swap, as well as a turbo build in the distant future. My problems is what traction adder to put in the rear. I have had a lunchbox locker before and didn't care for it that much. I grenaded it due to wheel hop anyways and now I'm down to an open diff. I had the same exact lunchbox locker (powertrax) in a Jeep Cherokee and you couldn't even tell it was there. It of course didn't have auto 4 wheel drive, ABS, or such a touchy cruise control system not to mention half the power. I feel that all lockers are gonna have that slight amount of slack in it to operate correctly and I really don't want to use one. It freaks out the auto 4X4 system and the ABS and it makes for a bucking effect with the cruise on coming off loads going up and down hills. I'm not building a rock crawler or anything so I think a quality posi unit would be fine. I hear Auburn is the best but it's a clutch style and, as with all clutch styles, they wear out over time. I'm not too familiar with the torsion style but I have a similar one in my Trans Am. It seems to work fine for the most part but I noticed it will 1 tire fire from time to time if you are already turning and then get on it. I would think that a truck being more top heavy would be worse for pissing off the torsion style in corners. I have to do something before the winter cuz I'm not rolling on snow with an open diff so hit me up with your opinions and experiences so I can make a decision on what to go with.

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

Ok let me help you guys out. I'm looking at the detroit trutrac or possibly full locker. I'm leaning toward the Trutrac since this is a primarily on road vehicle. Anybody have one? Break one? 1 tire fire one?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I'm not a fan of the gear units, I'd go either tight clutch style or a locker. If your not concerned with smooth engagement on corners then locker is my pick. I would like to give the wavetrac a shot though.

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

The true trac is fine, i have them behind all kinds of things, cars, trucks, 300hp 900hp and 1900ft lbs. Wavetrack is a gear design like true trac with a supposed added type of ramp locking feature between the side gears

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

They don't even make a wavetrack for a 10 bolt or a 14 bolt. I've decided to put a diesel in my truck so it might be getting a 14 bolt soon after that and I'm not sure if I can get a tru trac for that rear end. I might end up with a locker but I'd like to steer away from it.

Thread Information