Thread: 01 shift feel

blue
    2001 pontiac trans am

01 shift feel

hi i have a 01 trans am ws6 a4 and it has like no shift firmness, and my friend has a 98 and you can feel the
    firmness of it shifting into 2nd on his a4 under normal driving . now i heard they put spacers in the shocks in 01 and i also heard torque management was diff.
    in 2001. Is this why i have smooth shifts in my 01? i want harder shifts - will a b&m shift kit help me feel the shifts or will the computer
    still look at the torque management and shift the same even with the kit?

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by vooblew View Post
    hi i have a 01 trans am ws6 a4 and it has like no shift firmness, and my friend has a 98 and you can feel the
    firmness of it shifting into 2nd on his a4 under normal driving . now i heard they put spacers in the shocks in 01 and i also heard torque management was diff.
    in 2001. Is this why i have smooth shifts in my 01? i want harder shifts - will a b&m shift kit help me feel the shifts or will the computer
    still look at the torque management and shift the same even with the kit?
    I did a mail order tune to get firmer shifts. made a big difference and now its more fun to drive

blue
    2001 pontiac trans am

i have ordered a new pcm ecm before that was programed to feel firm shifts and i could only feel it when flooring it and even then it wasnt that much of a difference, so i took it out and put my old one back in, so thats why im wondering if a shift kit would work or if i would have to do something with the shocks or anything.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by vooblew View Post
    i have ordered a new pcm ecm before that was programed to feel firm shifts and i could only feel it when flooring it and even then it wasnt that much of a difference, so i took it out and put my old one back in, so thats why im wondering if a shift kit would work or if i would have to do something with the shocks or anything.
    I did a frost mail order tune. When I did he asked to give a value 1-10 for shift firmness. I think I choose a 6 or 7 and it doesn't shift hard on a very light peddle but at half throttle or more it bangs through the gears. I love how it shifts now. Hope that helps

blue
    2001 pontiac trans am

when i ordered mine they only asked if i wanted it mild, firm, or really firm and i said really firm and it didnt make much a diff. so i put my old one back in.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    I did a frost mail order tune. When I did he asked to give a value 1-10 for shift firmness. I think I choose a 6 or 7 and it doesn't shift hard on a very light peddle but at half throttle or more it bangs through the gears. I love how it shifts now. Hope that helps
    +1 on the frost tune. i didnt specify so i got what he normally does and 1-2 shift is hard and the rest are nice and crisp, just what i was looking for.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

If you want sharp shifts at light throtle and teath crakers at WOT get a shift kit, or a reworked valve body kit. If you do this it is going to be tougher on the clutch pack so if it's high miles I would wait and do a nice preformance build on it with a stall other wise it may only last a couple of WOT shifts

Thread Information