SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Question Who uses the AC Delco PF63 oil filter in lieu of PF48?

Would appreciate ALL comments both pro and con.

I am thinking about going to the PF63 on my 2013 Yukon Denali.

The dealer tells me, "as long as it is a AC Delco oil filter, it will not void the factory warranty"

Thanks in advance.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That's the longer canister? If so, I have run both styles on our Suburban without any issues.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    That's the longer canister? If so, I have run both styles on our Suburban without any issues.

Yes, it is about 1" longer than the PF48.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That's it then. Lots of guys have run the longer canister filter under the theory that more filter media is better than less.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I don't think they can void your warranty because you use a larger filter as long as it has the same pressure release valve and the same drain back capabilities.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

I stopped using AC delco filters 3-4 years ago when I found out they went to the cheap paper E-core design. Not a good filter anymore. I use the Wix #51522 long filter (4.5" tall) If that doesn't fit, the Wix #51042 is 3.4" tall.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I stopped using AC delco filters 3-4 years ago when I found out they went to the cheap paper E-core design. Not a good filter anymore. I use the Wix #51522 long filter (4.5" tall) If that doesn't fit, the Wix #51042 is 3.4" tall.
    My understanding is that the "e-core" filters will have a "e" at the end of the part number, (i.e. PF63 vs. PF63E).

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Wix, Napa Gold, and Fram XG are what I try to go with. I have on occasion also used Bosch and K&N.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I still like the K&N filter. Good, solid construction, great filtration and you get the 1" nut on top to break it loose and you can wire it down so that it will not spin off. I feel it's worth a couple of bucks more because you are trusting a 12 dollar part to protect a 6 thousand dollar motor. Why wouldn't you use one ?

You might find this study interesting. Sarge posted this a few years back.

K&N is a good filter and graded well, but got an F for price paid per filtration compared to other filters that do just as well. You could save a few bucks with several other selections that still do the job.

Click on the grade sheet and compare.

Oil Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central

The Wix and Napa Gold Jeff mentioned above are 1 in the same filter and an excellent choice. Believe it or not the XG line of Fram filters scored some of the best numbers (even better than K&N), and they aren't priced bad, about half of what you pay for a K&N. Wix filters is what Tony Bischoff recommended for my fathers brand new $15,000 engine
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 06-06-2014 at 06:57 AM.

Senior Member Blown Interceptor's Avatar

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    My understanding is that the "e-core" filters will have a "e" at the end of the part number, (i.e. PF63 vs. PF63E).

My understanding is you talk major SH!T about people on this board and you make up lies!!! No one on this forum should help you or give you any advice at all!

You are nothing but a lying D-Bag! The SH!it you made up about me, should be grounds for you being banned!!!

If this place is so dead, then why do you continue too post on here?
    Last edited by Blown Interceptor; 06-06-2014 at 11:17 PM.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Case in point everyone:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f24/finall...oshoot-102652/

SteveC is such a Freaking Tool...

Oh, BTW...you DO NOT know more than everyone on this board!!!!!!!
    1999 Black Camaro SS

Lid, Fast Toys, 3.90's, N20

More to come!!!!

Well that took a bad turn. Are you still bothered by Steve? That thread and your discussion with him was over 6 years ago. I'd forget about it, not worth the time to worry about things on an internet forum. Hell I can't remember shit from a week ago

I'm here to help anyone that wants it as well as learn new things, since I'm an old school hotrodder myself. I don't mind that it's Steve or anyone else. I don't have a problem with anyone on this board. I simply posted that oil filter comparison for everyone to see and make your own decisions on a good filter, there are several on there that are excellent choices. The best part of that study is that it was an independent study with non bias information.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Well that took a bad turn. Are you still bothered by Steve? That thread and your discussion with him was over 6 years ago. I'd forget about it, not worth the time to worry about things on an internet forum. Hell I can't remember shit from a week ago

I'm here to help anyone that wants it as well as learn new things, since I'm an old school hotrodder myself. I don't mind that it's Steve or anyone else. I don't have a problem with anyone on this board. I simply posted that oil filter comparison for everyone to see and make your own decisions on a good filter, there are several on there that are excellent choices. The best part of that study is that it was an independent study with non bias information.

Yeah, your right...my apologies! Didn't mean to hijack the thread, he said some shit about me personally that was WAY out of line and is totally BS and not true!!! I just can't figure out way he said what he did?

He attacked me for no reason and I think if someone said what he did, they might be a little pissed?

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f24/great-...-diego-179520/

Yeah 10-4, I see what's going on now. Kahana was nice enough to send me that link just before you did, lol. Funny I don't visit the Western section and I live in AZ

Now that I understand why, I can see where you are coming from. I thought this was an old issue until I saw the recent posts in the Western section. Not sure what's up with Steve, I've never really had any problems with him (or anyone that I recall) I assume he has his issues and that's his business. I just didn't want to see things fly off the handle and was unaware this was a current ongoing thing.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

You might find this study interesting. Sarge posted this a few years back.

K&N is a good filter and graded well, but got an F for price paid per filtration compared to other filters that do just as well. You could save a few bucks with several other selections that still do the job.

Click on the grade sheet and compare.

Oil Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central

The Wix and Napa Gold Jeff mentioned above are 1 in the same filter and an excellent choice. Believe it or not the XG line of Fram filters scored some of the best numbers (even better than K&N), and they aren't priced bad, about half of what you pay for a K&N. Wix filters is what Tony Bischoff recommended for my fathers brand new $15,000 engine
    Thanks for the info, the article was very informative.

BMW
    RandallThorpCW

BMW
    RandallThorpCW

Silver
    88 Camaro

This is the info I found on a GM Techlink website if anyone cares about the specs....

The PF64 and PF63 (Fig. 20) filters are commonly confused as an ACDelco PF48 and/or PF48E filter because both oil filters have the same appearance and oil can size. However, these oil filters are not the same and have different internal bypass valve opening pressure specifications. The PF48/PF48E has a pressure specification of 15 PSI (100 kPa) while the PF64/PF63E has a pressure specification of 22 PSI (150 kPa).

Thread Information