Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Vortec Intake Leak

I've got a 97 Z71 with P0107, P0122, P1107, P1122. I replaced the TPS and cleaned the throttle body. When I pulled the throttle body off to clean it, the intake had a good bit of sludge...some wet oil...in it. I think I've probably got the notorious vortec intake leak again. I was thinking about doing this myself this time but i'm having a hard time finding a good DIY or sticky on any other sites. Anyone got any info?

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Grab a service manual. I have the GM dealer manuals made by Helminc.com for my 98 gmc. I've done my intake gaskets alot. Though my truck has never set any codes.

Quasar blue metallic
    1994 Camaro Z28

Make sure you get the upgraded Fel-Pro gasket set. They redesigned some areas to help keep them from crushing and moving around. I did mine on my 99 Tahoe several years back and its not too bad of a job.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Its pretty straight forward unless you split the intake than it takes a bit of figuring. Any service manual should tell you the majority of it tho.

black
    02 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by IH8EVRY1 View Post
    I've got a 97 Z71 with P0107, P0122, P1107, P1122. I replaced the TPS and cleaned the throttle body. When I pulled the throttle body off to clean it, the intake had a good bit of sludge...some wet oil...in it. I think I've probably got the notorious vortec intake leak again. I was thinking about doing this myself this time but i'm having a hard time finding a good DIY or sticky on any other sites. Anyone got any info?
    Sounds like you could have a PCV issue. Usually those motors leak coolant out of the intakes. Don't really see how a leaking intake gasket could cause excessive oil in the plenum area as you described.

Unless you have a catch can,you will always see oil residue inside the intake.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by importhater81 View Post
    Sounds like you could have a PCV issue. Usually those motors leak coolant out of the intakes. Don't really see how a leaking intake gasket could cause excessive oil in the plenum area as you described.

Unless you have a catch can,you will always see oil residue inside the intake.
    Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been on the road without much internet and I hate replies on my blackberry. We checked everything simple and couldn't find anything. Finally talked to some more experienced mechanics and realized what we were over looking. Valve guides...with 342,000 miles. They were a little worn out.

The story turned funny when I got aggravated and started debating a new truck anyway. I was looking at it with the what's next philosophy and the fact that my family and job have totally out grown the truck anyway. So I went to look at new trucks and the damn thing spun a bearing getting off the interstate. I was passing a few cars with the rpm's way up there and got off the exit ramp to hear it knocking. I few years ago I had some oil pressure troubles and started running 20W-50 with a quart of lucas in it. It hadn't had any oil pressure issues since but I think I'd only put a bandage over an open chest wound. It held for a little while but I have no complaints. I beat the piss out of the truck for 8 years. My dad beat the piss out of it since 1997. It had a crap ton of miles on it and I got a new truck out of it. RIP.

Thread Information