Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes

Video: Silverado locking rear diff vs. Tundra posi

This is a discussion on Video: Silverado locking rear diff vs. Tundra posi within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Lockers aren't anything new. All the Jeep Rubicons come with front and rear air lockers since the rubi was introduced. ...

Lockers aren't anything new. All the Jeep Rubicons come with front and rear air lockers since the rubi was introduced.

We had an 05 Rubi, and you could manually lock both front and rear diffs. Had a little air compressor that engaged the lockers. Was a beautiful thing, no traction control, no abs brakes. That thing literally went everywhere I cared to go. The front air locker only worked however at speeds below 30 mph. There was a simple one wire bypass to keep that from happening though, you didn't hear it from me

I later bought a 72 blazer as we've had several of these and wanted another. I installed an Eaton clutch style posi in the rear and an aftermarket E-locker in the front diff. Just manually lock the hubs, stick it in 4lo and flip the front e-locker switch and away we go. I've been in the same places I took the rubi without a single problem. Nice thing about this old truck is everything is manual without a computer telling me what a can and can't do. Although I don't recomend going out on the highway with the front diff locked

As much as GM advertised the ADL system (or gov loc if you care to call it that) I'm really not a huge fan of it. I've broken 2 of those things, just not very strong. Had a couple of them apart. Has anyone looked at those things closely?? They have very small intricate parts, springs, etc...just looking at it and you wonder how it stays together in the first place. The last one I broke took the entire rear with it and spit parts out through the cover.

I'll take a clutch style Eaton posi any day over the ADL. The good ole Eaton clutch posi has been around since the muscle car days, and is completely rebuildable (serves a lifetime). Best of all I like the fact that I can taylor the effectiveness with spring preloads, different clutch materials etc...and make these things act tighter/stronger than a factory piece.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    As much as GM advertised the ADL system (or gov loc if you care to call it that) I'm really not a huge fan of it. I've broken 2 of those things, just not very strong. Had a couple of them apart. Has anyone looked at those things closely?? They have very small intricate parts, springs, etc...just looking at it and you wonder how it stays together in the first place. The last one I broke took the entire rear with it and spit parts out through the cover.
    I agree. I just can't picture how those things hold together. Very fragile looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I agree. I just can't picture how those things hold together. Very fragile looking.
    Yep, and the 2 that I grenaded came apart in such spectacular fassion I couldn't tell what broke first. The last one I broke (it's been many years) It took out the ring and pinion, broke the case in 3 pieces, and shot 2 holes through the cover which in turn leaked fluid of course. When I pulled the cover it was literally a pile of parts Keep in mind this was a bone stock 79 pickup with a 350/350 turbo combo that made all of about 180 hp

I haven't used one of those piles of junk since....As a matter of fact,,,the rearend I just built for the blazer I mentioned above came out of a 78, and it had an ADL in it when I tore it apart (surprisingly still in one piece) First thing I did was toss it in the trash and shoved the Eaton pro series clutch style posi in it I knew imediately that thing wasn't going to last behind a 6.0/4L60 combo,,,pffffff
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-10-2012 at 06:10 PM.

I wouldn’t call the Eaton ADL a piece of junk. For something offered from the factory, it performed well enough. Abuse causes the majority of failures, as the lockup is instant, going from 0 (zero) to 100 percent lock in less than 200 milliseconds (faster than the human-eye can blink). As one can imagine, that kind of lockup is violent, and combining that with high torque (foot to the floor) can yield to catastrophic failure.

I know of someone who had an ADL disintegrate his truck’s rear differential, but, he was doing burnouts/power slides, and had done quite a few doughnuts when it blew.

My own experience with the ADL is rather a good one. My personal restoration project, a Rounded-Line 1987 Chevrolet V 10 Series Fleetside (which came from the factory with the optional $ 252.00 Eaton ADL) is nearing 200,000 miles on the clock.

Both front and rear GM Corporate 10-bolt live drive axles are all-original, as is the rear Eaton ADL, which, even now tries to lock, "side stepping" the back end. The cam-ramp plate (the part that locks the differential) is worn, so the differential won’t stay locked. A rebuild is in order, but the fact that after almost 200k miles and it still detects wheel-slip and tries to lock is impressive.

The truck itself is all-original, save for the suspension lift, and aftermarket wheels. Both of which will be removed in time, as part of the full restoration to return the truck back to factory correct condition.

Quote Originally Posted by TorqueTransfer View Post
    I wouldn’t call the Eaton ADL a piece of junk. For something offered from the factory, it performed well enough. Abuse causes the majority of failures, as the lockup is instant, going from 0 (zero) to 100 percent lock in less than 200 milliseconds (faster than the human-eye can blink). As one can imagine, that kind of lockup is violent, and combining that with high torque (foot to the floor) can yield to catastrophic failure.

I know of someone who had an ADL disintegrate his truck’s rear differential, but, he was doing burnouts/power slides, and had done quite a few doughnuts when it blew.

My own experience with the ADL is rather a good one. My personal restoration project, a Rounded-Line 1987 Chevrolet V 10 Series Fleetside (which came from the factory with the optional $ 252.00 Eaton ADL) is nearing 200,000 miles on the clock.

Both front and rear GM Corporate 10-bolt live drive axles are all-original, as is the rear Eaton ADL, which, even now tries to lock, "side stepping" the back end. The cam-ramp plate (the part that locks the differential) is worn, so the differential won’t stay locked. A rebuild is in order, but the fact that after almost 200k miles and it still detects wheel-slip and tries to lock is impressive.

The truck itself is all-original, save for the suspension lift, and aftermarket wheels. Both of which will be removed in time, as part of the full restoration to return the truck back to factory correct condition.

Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size Click for full size
    Click for full size
    I say junk because quite simply in my eyes, if it can't withstand stomping on the gas and stay in one piece,,,,it's not for me. I've had 2 of them come apart in that manor. One I think I mentioned was just a bone stock 79 1/2 ton pickup with a smog 350/350 turbo and stock weenie tires that were a whole 7" wide. I blipped the throttle at a stoplight and it went "CRUNCH" Truck only had 20,000 miles on it.

I agree if you have a simple cruiser that you drive easy and don't expect much from it, then I guess they can be of great service. The only ADL's I've seen that are worth anything are the larger 14 bolt rears, they seem to be durable in a few off road occasions I've witnessed and I assume because everything inside the rear is of a larger scale. The little 10 and 12 bolts just aren't large enough it seems,,,those are the ones I see breaking. Especially when you start getting into oversize tires.

For me, I do off road (mainly mild stuff) I also like to do a little spirited driving on the street occasionally and even hit the dragstrip once in a great while, so I do lay some rubber with it when I get a wild hair. That's why mine came out immediately and I went with a tried and true Eaton Pro series clutch posi. I'll never have to worry about it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information