Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

truck tires...

This is a discussion on truck tires... within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 0rion they're all expensive. I liked my goodyear mtr's on my old truck but it weighed about ...

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    they're all expensive. I liked my goodyear mtr's on my old truck but it weighed about half as much as this one. Not sure I'm willing to take a $1200-1300 gamble on that tire. The Toyo's have tons of good feedback so I'll most likely give those a shot unless the guy at the tire store has a better suggestion. I have a couple buddies that go to this guy and he's supposedly top notch and on the straight and narrow....never recommends his most expensive tires unless that's what you want kinda deal. He's also much cheaper than the box tire places. He did the last set for my buddy which is the same tire I'm running for $175 a tire installed. Can't beat that price.
    Wouldn't be the fella out in Morristown would it? I used to go to a tire shop out there years ago, guy had the best prices around. Morristown is out on 32 West of you, probably too much of a drive for you though.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

na....this guy is out in cambridge which is an hour east of me where 70 meets 77. Mast tires.

Oh Okay you're going further East then. Wow that's deep in Amish country

98 Formula
    06 duramax

called them today....going out Wed. to have Toyo MT's put on.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'll post the pic again on this page since we went to page 2. Gonna need to do something with these rims when the weather warms up. I'd like to powdercoat them but I don't see that happening. I'd have to take them somewhere and have the tires taken off then send them somewhere and wait and all that. Just too much of a pain to do all that. I'm thinking about just taping them up, using a rattle can, and going flat black and then some clear. The centers are pretty much done too so they'll need painted also along with the lugs. I'll probably just replace all the perimeter bolts if I can't clean them up. This is why I bought cheap rims.....sure....they're cheaper but I don't feel bad attacking them with some spray paint and the shit this truck goes through is gonna mar up some rims no matter how much they cost.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

called them today....going out Wed. to have Toyo MT's put on.

I'll post the pic again on this page since we went to page 2. Gonna need to do something with these rims when the weather warms up. I'd like to powdercoat them but I don't see that happening. I'd have to take them somewhere and have the tires taken off then send them somewhere and wait and all that. Just too much of a pain to do all that. I'm thinking about just taping them up, using a rattle can, and going flat black and then some clear. The centers are pretty much done too so they'll need painted also along with the lugs. I'll probably just replace all the perimeter bolts if I can't clean them up. This is why I bought cheap rims.....sure....they're cheaper but I don't feel bad attacking them with some spray paint and the shit this truck goes through is gonna mar up some rims no matter how much they cost.

Click for full size
    I'd like to see some pics of the new tires installed Tim. I'm not even sure I know what Toyo's look like. Don't think I've seen those tires before.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah....I'll try to remember to get a pic of them. Might have to wait until spring though when I can get my rims done.....they look pretty shitty right now.

Here's the tire.
    OPEN COUNTRY M/T| Mud-Terrain Tire for Pickups and SUVs | Toyo Tires

I called Discount tire here today. I have a history with them but the short version is that I don't trust them on their price quotes. I got a quote here on my last rim/tire set then was at a discount in columbus and got quoted $400 cheaper for the exact same rim/tire set. Same with my wifes tires last time except there was only a $200 difference. I talked to them this morning and got quoted on the Toyo's....they were about $50 more than Mast but I still had a few places to check so I told them I would call them back. I decided to just pay the $50 more and stay local and save myself the hour drive each way. I called them back this afternoon and talked to a different guy (original guy had already went home) got a quote for $50 more than the first quote so now $100 more than Mast. Told them I was gonna pass because they were giving me different quotes and just make the hour drive. He said "We will price match him." I told the guy at this point money didn't have anything to do with it.....I'd pay Mast more because at least with him I didn't feel like I was getting jacked around. It's now a matter of principle.

Wow, with money tight and businesses struggling to stay open you wouldn't think that type of behavior would be tolerated.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I sent discount an email the first time when there was the $400 difference and asked them how there could be such a difference in price within the same company and stores that were 10-15 miles apart. They called me back and apologized which actually wasn't what I was looking for.....I was looking for an answer as to how there can be that difference. They did it again the last time I bought tires and now there are different quotes within the same damn store. I think I'm probably done shopping at discount from here on out. Sucks to be them......we have 3 damn vehicles, a boat trailer, and a dual axle camper. That's a lot of tire business they just lost out on.

Yeah that's alot of rubber

I ended up investing in a tire changer and balancer for myself. Got tired of dealing with it at various outside sources, trying to sell warranties, road side, valve stems, disposal of old tires, yada yada. It always seemed like a deal until they tacked on all the fees. Now I just find the cheapest price online and have the tires shipped right to the house.

So I take it you are going back out to Mast?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah.....going to mast tomorrow. I should just buy those myself. The tire changer is no big deal. I've done those without the stand before......pain in the ass but doable. The balancer is what I would question how well they work....well....at least the cheap portable ones like I would have to have. No way I could justify the high dollar stuff. I see the portable jobs with the bubble level for $50-$60 but not sure how accurate those would be. Spin balancing would have to be much more accurate I would think. The stands are $70-$80 so you'd be out less than $200 for the set. The money you'd save on all the extra bullshit would make that up in 1 or 2 tire purchases.

yeah.....going to mast tomorrow. I should just buy those myself. The tire changer is no big deal. I've done those without the stand before......pain in the ass but doable. The balancer is what I would question how well they work....well....at least the cheap portable ones like I would have to have. No way I could justify the high dollar stuff. I see the portable jobs with the bubble level for $50-$60 but not sure how accurate those would be. Spin balancing would have to be much more accurate I would think. The stands are $70-$80 so you'd be out less than $200 for the set. The money you'd save on all the extra bullshit would make that up in 1 or 2 tire purchases.
    I bought a neumatic (sp??) okay,,,,air powered tire changer and an electronic spin balancer from a shop going out of business. $300 for the setup and they threw in an AC charging machine station. I've used it for about 15 years now without a complaint. Works great. I just order new wheel weights online when I run out.
    Bubble balancers are what old shops used for years, they work okay, but like you said, spin balancer is the way to go.

This day and age is the time to find local mom and pop shops going out of business and selling off equipment. I've seen nice car lifts, air compressors, tire machines, AC charging stations etc. go pretty cheap....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

got the tires on today....I'll get a picture in the next day or so. My initial impression on the hour drive back is that the Kuhmo's were quieter new vs new and rode better new vs new. The difference will be lifespan hopefully. These weren't super loud by any means but just not as quiet as the Kuhmo's were. If I can get another 20k out of them though the noise and ride will be worth it. If the mileage is pretty much the same the Kuhmos would be my preferred tire. I think the biggest advantage to these is that I'll be able to do proper rotations. The Kuhmos were directional so they only went front to back.....I'm sure if I were to unmount the Kuhmos and remount them with a proper rotation I could've gotten more miles out of them. These definitely look like they're gonna be better in the mud. The side biters on these are much bigger than the Kuhmo's had and the tread blocks are a lot more narrow which is why they make a little more racket on the highway.
    Last edited by 0rion; 02-15-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Can't wait to see it on the truck. That link you sent shows a pretty darn aggressive looking tire.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

new tires

side biters

these things should chew up some turf when I get them in the mud

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Damn... very nice!!!

They kinda remind me of Military spec M/Ts

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the real test will be this spring when I head back to the woods......the truck is so heavy it's not much of a mudder anyhow. Pretty easy to get this truck stuck compared to what I've had in the past. These tires should at least help though.

Wow, those look more aggressive than the Goodyear MT/R's that I've run before. Those should get you through the slop

purple(sold)
    1994 firebird formula

on my 03 silverado i run a 285/70/17 copper stt mud tire. theyre prob the best tires ive ever put on the truck. ive had everything from a mud grappler to a bfg and these amaze me. theyre super good in the mud and last a long time on the road. i believe theyre a 45,000 mile tire.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information