TheOnlyConstant is Change HLYWD83's Avatar

White
    '01 1500 Silverado

Question Truck owner looking for assistance

Now I know this appears to be a Camaro LSx site but maybe some of you can provide me with a little assistance. So to get right to it, I have a truck, (01 silverado 1500) I have a code (DTC: P01416) (Air Injection System Failure/Error; Bank Two) Prior to all the ass pain this has been causing, I have been experiencing hung starts; initial attempt results in a delayed weak ignition, second attempt it fires right up??? Distributor Cap? Bad starter? No one knows for sure, is it possible the DTC error I'm receiving is related to the ignition issue, I'm at about wits end trying to figure out whats wrong. Thing is, I wasn't having any issues with the truck until I installed this stupid light bar that doesn't even work properly. It may have shorted the electrical system, because at the time the Message Display Center was going haywire declaring all types of incorrect warnings, check engine, change oil soon, etc etc. What I'm specifically looking for is insight on this topic and the least expensive fix possible. I don't mind paying to have it fixed, unfortunately for me I'm automotive illiterate, and often find myself paying out the yang for some problem that wasn't one until I brought it in for service. The Importance of knowing how to fix your own stuff is paramount, learning that one the hard way I guess

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the 1416 code is a bad check valve on the passenger side. On the exhaust manifolds you'll see ports that stick up and have round things on them. The round things are the check valves. You might try cleaning that valve but they're pretty inexpensive to just replace ~$20 I think at NAPA.
    Can you describe what the truck is doing when you try to start it? What do you mean by "hung ignition" and "delayed weak ignition"? Slow turning over? I can't really see it being related to the check valve. If the light bar is somehow draining the battery that might cause it to turn over weak. Who wired the lights in and do you know how they're wired in?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Agreed. P1416 indicates the passenger side AIR check valve is bad.

It definitely doesn't have anything to do with a hard start.

Hard start could be things like low fuel pressure, restricted fuel filter, or spark plug related (ie needs tune-up).

White
    '01 1500 Silverado

I Appreciate the advice, i'll look into it!

When I went to post my reply it said I wasn't logged in and apparently lost about 2 hours of typing used to explain the situation with starting, very frustrating, forgive me for being brief

When I turn the key it goes Rrrr..Rrrr..Rrrr..Rrrr... I'll let off after about 5-7 seconds.
    The second time I try it immediately after the first attempt it goes Rrrr..Rrrr..VRrroom, maybe it's the distributor cap maybe its the fuel injector maybe the fuel filter maybe something else

It has over heated twice in the last 4 months possible thermostat issue, I think that because the 2 K&N 15" cooling fans didn't do squat, the fuse for it was intact and appeared good.

The light bar is a "Fire & Ice" 36 LED light strip with running/brake lights, turn signals and can be hard wired into the reverse wire, so in theory it supposed to light up, bright up when I lay on the brakes, and half the bar is supposed to flash in sync with the OEM signals respectively, one time the wire touched the muffler pipe and melted down to the brass core (not good) it's was acting weird so I unplugged it. It uses a standard tow trailer wire harness and like I said before the reverse wire is hard wired in. The voltage seems to be within limits when I start her up. Additionally These ignition issues were occuring even when the light bar was completely unplugged

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

you don't have a distributor cap. I'm sure your light bar has nothing to do with the hard start. The only real good way to attempt to fix your hard start is to run some tests. Like fuel pressure test while its doing this hard start. Other things to check during the hard start is for spark and injector drive. You might wanna have a shop try to diagnose this. Tell them in detail when this happens (ie: cold start in the morning?, after sitting for 2 hours?, all the time?) and exactly what it does (ie: extended crank/hard start, starts ok on second attempt.)
    Another route to take is to get your truck all caught up on the maintenance. Especially the things that could cause your problems like a fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires, and fuel injector cleaning. After doing the maintenance your truck needs you can reevaluate the concern.

White
    '01 1500 Silverado

Red face oops

Is there a website that shows a diagram for an LM7 Vortec 5300, I'm interested in nomenclature and positioning. I've seen the Chilton Manuals; considered picking one up. I was just wondering if there was something out there I would able to look at for free instead. Apparently I don't know what I'm talking about but I am inclined to learn if at all possible.

As far as the advice you offered, I'll start off with the filter, plugs, wires and cleaner. The fix may be way more simple than anticipated. Know any good mechanics in the east bay area of Northern California?

Grey
    2001 Silverado

Check you fuel pressure regulator. You probably have a blown diaphragm. It's on the fuel rail on the drivers side. Start the engine and pull the vacuum hose off. If you see fuel, its bad. It will make the truck hard to start when it's hot, but cold starts are typically not a problem. Check your fuel pressure if the regulator is not leaking. If all this is good, then check the intake for a leaking gasket at the head. I was told the gasket was redesigned a couple years ago. You should be able to check this by spraying carb-cleaner around the intake ports and listening for rpm changes. It's probably the rgulator. About $50

Black
    2000 "SS" Silverado

After your truck has set a few hours or over night, pull some plugs out and se if they are wet..If they are, it's a sign of a leaking fuel press. reg........or injectors leaking....
    you'd have to pull all the plugs to look for a leaking injector.

ALSO....check all your ground wires...my truck went ballistic one day..thought I have run out of gas...after one week of replaceing parts and pulling my hair out, I found a loose ground wire on the back of the engine.....And I am a service manager..ASE Master Tech..And Certified in all areas of GM Training..

Thread Information