98 Formula
    06 duramax

truck hitches.....

Man what a pain in the ass this has been. Whoever had the truck before me had a 5er in it but took everything out ( except 1 bolt that's rusted into place in the frame....thanks asshole).
    I've been looking for a 5th wheel hitch that matches up to the existing holes because I don't want to drill a shit ton more holes in the truck. I've asked people at the duramax board, local people, and people selling hitches online. No one was any help at all really and I don't blame them but would've thought someone could've helped me figure it out.
    I think I finally figured it out today. Here's a picture of my bed so the rest will kinda make sense.

I found a reese 15k slider on ebay for $525 shipped which is a pretty good deal. I asked about the rail bolts and they were different. They had 2 bolts per rail instead of 4 per rail like I have in the truck. The guy had no idea why they were different. I stopped to get fuel today and see a dually there that has a hitch in the bed. I asked the guy if I can check it out and he says "no problem". I look at it and it's the same bolt pattern that was in mine and it was a Reese so at least now I know Reese has a 4 bolt per rail kit.
    Went to U-Haul today and of course there was a lady behind the counter that didn't know shit but she called one of their other stores and I talked to a tech there. He was no help. Just told me they'd install one for $900. Thanks asshole but I don't want 16 more holes drilled in my bed and frame.
    I come home and start searching Reese's site. That's when I got it figured out I believe. It's a universal Reese rail kit without the center bolts installed. Now why couldn't 4-5 other people, some of whom do this shit for a living, not figure that out or at least recommend that that's what it might be? I contacted one guy through ebay and he says Reese doesn't sell those rails with the 15k slider anymore. Another guy said they have one at another store and he's supposed to get back with me.
    Would've been easier if there hadn't been a hitch installed at all and I can only imagine how fun it's going to be to get that rusted ass bolt out of the frame.
    Last edited by 0rion; 03-03-2011 at 04:56 PM.

black
    1998 transam ws6

well good luck

green
    98 formula

I know you dont want more holes, but I recommend a b&w flip over ball. Then you can use the adapter for the plate. Its stronger, and the holes can easily be patched then spray lined to match.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by joejenkinsglass View Post
    I know you dont want more holes, but I recommend a b&w flip over ball. Then you can use the adapter for the plate. Its stronger, and the holes can easily be patched then spray lined to match.
    the heaviest thing I'd ever be towing would be ~10k max.....I'll trade the strength for the extra $500 and no more holes

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Nice rant!! I know how you feel... There's a service shop in our city that does all motorhomes and hitch's and trailer type stuff... they won't install anything that's not theirs. If you would have came to them with your problem, they would have been the same way. No above and beyond, they would have just installed what they always install with no regard to how many holes they just put in your bed/frame. It's pretty ridiculous really, but I assume that's how most of those hitch / trailer shops are.

Best of luck to you sir. If you need any extra cans of WD40 or someone to swear at, I'm only a couple hours away!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Nice rant!! I know how you feel... There's a service shop in our city that does all motorhomes and hitch's and trailer type stuff... they won't install anything that's not theirs. If you would have came to them with your problem, they would have been the same way. No above and beyond, they would have just installed what they always install with no regard to how many holes they just put in your bed/frame. It's pretty ridiculous really, but I assume that's how most of those hitch / trailer shops are.

Best of luck to you sir. If you need any extra cans of WD40 or someone to swear at, I'm only a couple hours away!
    I'm thinking PB blaster, a torch, and a BFH. Worst case is I'll cut it off and drill it out. Come down anytime....I'll supply the BBQ and beer.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I'm thinking PB blaster, a torch, and a BFH. Worst case is I'll cut it off and drill it out. Come down anytime....I'll supply the BBQ and beer.
    I just may take you up on that one day this summer.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

It looks like a Curt universal bed rail kit. It allows a one size fits many trucks and gives the option of a fifth wheel or a goose neck.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    It looks like a Curt universal bed rail kit. It allows a one size fits many trucks and gives the option of a fifth wheel or a goose neck.
    I wonder how much difference there is between the curt, valley, and reese universal kits? I was guessing reese just due to the popularity of reese. They also all generally mount the same way as far as how the L brackets go on the frame.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

talked on the phone today with a guy from Reese. He got me all squared away. The universal hitches are all the same so as long as I go with a 10 bolt rail kit the holes will line up. Only thing that sucks is not being able to get the cheap one from ebay. I'm gonna keep my eyes on ebay though and see if a 10 bolt version pops up on there. $525 shipped is much better than $659 shipped through Reese.

Went out and soaked that bolt in pb blaster and beat on it with a hammer.....not going to be easy to get out. Gonna have to go up a couple sizes on my hammer and probably get the torch out. Might be easier to cut that thing off and drill it out.

Thread Information