Trailer Brake Controllers

This is a discussion on Trailer Brake Controllers within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I have been reading the owner's manual on our Suburban and found that it is pre-wired for a brake controller. ...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Trailer Brake Controllers

I have been reading the owner's manual on our Suburban and found that it is pre-wired for a brake controller. The wires are next to the OBD-II diagnostic port and are labeled for hookup to a controller. I have never owned a vehicle with a controller before. Any recommendations on what brand or model to get? We will be pulling an aluminum car trailer... and if my daughter has her way, maybe a horse trailer at some point.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Pretty much any controller will do the job you want it to. I'm not to sure on specific brands though.

But before you slap it on and hook it up and then realize it's not working... there are 2 electrical connections that have to be made under the hood first.

1. Remove your fuse block cover. You will notice 2 threaded studs sticking up in the front of it.

2. Between the fuse block and the fender wall, there is a red wire that is taped up to the harness. Squeeze your hand down there and pull it out. It has a metal eyelet on the end. That gets connected to the passenger side stud on the fuse block.

3. On the passenger side of the fuse block, between the block and the engine, down low, there is another wire that is bundled up as well. It is also red and has an eyelet. Unbundle that and it gets connected to the drivers side stud.

You need the nuts for both sides since GM didn't provide them, and they are 2 different sizes. Also, you may have to add the fuses for the studs. They are the larger "megafuses" I believe 40's. They are located right in front of the studs, but on your fuse diagram on the cover, it will tell you stud 1 and stud 2 I think. Or it could say trailer brake and trailer aux power.

After that you should be set.

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Andy... you are a mind reader! I just read in the owner's manual that I also need to make a few connections in the electrical box. Of course, it simply tells you to take it to the dealer with no details on where or how provided.

Thanks!

Black
    2002 Firehawk

pajeff02,
    I have a link to a pdf file that has instructions from GM on how to install a trailer brake controller on a full size pickup or SUV. The instructions begin on page A-53:
    Electric Trailer Brake Controller (ITBC) Wiring and Auxiliary 12-V Feed to Trailer
    It has color photographs of the wires and locations and other pertinent instructions.

http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/2...lec_1_7_D1.pdf

I also found a You tube video of the installation of a brake controller, I don't know anything about the brand of controller that they are installing, I would suggest that you purchase from one of the supporters of this forum.
    Youtube video: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3p0lf9H9Gg[/ame]

Wow, I didn't expect that link to embed the video, that is cool

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thank you! I just watched the vid and read through the section of the manual on trailer brakes. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

What would you do without us Jeff?!?!?!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    What would you do without us Jeff?!?!?!

No idea... the members on this site have never failed to come through with an answer.

Lifes A Garden, Dig It!!! 02convertibleT/A's Avatar

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I have been reading the owner's manual on our Suburban and found that it is pre-wired for a brake controller. The wires are next to the OBD-II diagnostic port and are labeled for hookup to a controller. I have never owned a vehicle with a controller before. Any recommendations on what brand or model to get? We will be pulling an aluminum car trailer... and if my daughter has her way, maybe a horse trailer at some point.
    Get a Prodigy Brake Controller. With all the GM truck foums im on, there isnt a single person that doesnt like these controllers. Everyone raves about them. Go to Etrailer.com to order your stuff. they have the cheapest prices around and its very easy to get what you need on that site. Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller and the wire harness to hook it up, its all there. did your suburban come with the trailer package frmo the factory? if so, its more than liekly just the plug-n-play. the new style chevy pickups like mine, I had to wire in to wires that are cut off under the dash, but on the 99-07 style, its plug-n-play. one plug under the dash, then plug into the back of the controller.

if its the wire-in style, below is the installation!! i did this to my 07 new body style truck and it works perfect!! its crazy how everything is taped off to the side, but its there ready to use!

http://www.eworldz.com/truck/gmt900.pdf

www.etrailer.com has videos of installs too, like the video posted in a few posts up!

what year is your Suburban?
    Last edited by 02convertibleT/A; 09-08-2010 at 06:26 AM.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 02convertibleT/A View Post
    Get a Prodigy Brake Controller. With all the GM truck foums im on, there isnt a single person that doesnt like these controllers. Everyone raves about them. Go to Etrailer.com to order your stuff. they have the cheapest prices around and its very easy to get what you need on that site. Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller and the wire harness to hook it up, its all there. did your suburban come with the trailer package frmo the factory? if so, its more than liekly just the plug-n-play. the new style chevy pickups like mine, I had to wire in to wires that are cut off under the dash, but on the 99-07 style, its plug-n-play. one plug under the dash, then plug into the back of the controller.

if its the wire-in style, below is the installation!! i did this to my 07 new body style truck and it works perfect!! its crazy how everything is taped off to the side, but its there ready to use!

http://www.eworldz.com/truck/gmt900.pdf

www.etrailer.com has videos of installs too, like the video posted in a few posts up!

what year is your Suburban?
    07 Silverado Classic's had the direct plug in, the new body styles are wired. Anything 07 and newer (Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe, or anything built on the GMT900 platform) has to be wired. It's easier than it sounds though. Takes about a half hour to do.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks again guys! All good information and now I know what to shop for.

Lifes A Garden, Dig It!!! 02convertibleT/A's Avatar

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    07 Silverado Classic's had the direct plug in, the new body styles are wired. Anything 07 and newer (Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe, or anything built on the GMT900 platform) has to be wired. It's easier than it sounds though. Takes about a half hour to do.
    yah mine took about a half hour or so to do also.

Thread Information