Black
    2002 SS

Towing Concerns/Over heating

I have a 5.3 Avalanch and I was towing a boat down to Lake Cumberland from Columbus, OH. The boat and trailer weigh about 6k together, plus with gas, water and all our other junk a lot more weight. Anyway, when I got past Cinn. and into the hills of Kentucky I got caught behind a slow car and lost my momentem going up a hill and the truck downshifted to a lower gear and the rpms were up to around 4500 or so. There were several hills so there wasn't any part of that trip were it was easy on the truck.

So my concern is the temp got up to 235. It never got hotter but I never let it. It did go down a little on downhills and level roads but whenever I got to a big incline it raised back up. I pulled off the one time to let it cool down and when I got back on the road it was fine, but it did it later in the trip.

So is this bad or normal. And am I just putting to much on the truck as far as towing. What can I do to help this situation. I was thinking of keeping the truck, its a lease right now, or trading it in on a used Duramax. If I keep it what should I do to it to keep the temps down.

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

try changing the thermostat, and adding a set of big electric fans,( this will mean the fans moving even when you're at lower rpms and reduce some engine load).Also there are products that are available from your local parts store such as water wetter etc. that reduces coolant temps.
    2006 impulse blue G.T.O
    Iron Block 408
    Cam
    Pacesetter ceramic coated L.T.s
    LMII exhaust
    K&N CAI
    Ported TB
    Custom Tune
    FAST 90
    ZEX 125hp wet shot

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

It's pretty normal for your car to heat up like that pulling all that.....I wouldn't change the thermostat drastically because you're computer will think it's cold and keep dumping fuel to it trying to get it to warm up some......if you have a way to program the ECM them you could go in and change the fuel trims. Not sure what they come with from the factory....one thing to try that I've found really works is the Redline Watter Wetter.....put a couple of bottles in your radiator and you should be good to go.......if you're flushing out your radiator at least once a year you'll be good to go......If you're going to keep the thing I'd put a tranny cooler on it.....
    Last edited by cailey37; 11-15-2006 at 04:50 PM.

Black
    2002 SS

Thanks for the advice. I think all go with a tranny cooler and maybe electric fans. I was thinking of flushing the coolant also sounds like a good idea, I havn't done it yet. Any idea how long the Water Wetter last.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by s022mag View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I think all go with a tranny cooler and maybe electric fans. I was thinking of flushing the coolant also sounds like a good idea, I havn't done it yet. Any idea how long the Water Wetter last.
    I replace it every year when I flush my radiator....just throw some more in there when you do that and you'll be good to go.......you'd be surprised how well it really works.........you could even put an oil cooler on there and that will help.....if I remember correctly I think B&M has a tranny/oil cooler all in one....I'm not 100 percent on that one though.......my father tows a big pontoon boat thru the mountains and I put a tranny cooler on his truck and he hasn't had a problem with overheating........stay on top of your fluid changes and you will be alright.......

black
    04 silverado

get the duramax, especialy if your pulling, not to mention if you decide to up the performance, then you can shoot out black smoke

the duramax will also give you better gas milage while towing

Thumbs up

Thread Information