Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Time for a new winter ride

So its only a matter of time before the white stuff starts flying so I've been looking for a decent 4x4 for the winter and dd. found this at a local dealer 1995 Used GMC Yukon 1500 2dr 4WD at The Auto Park Inc Serving Plymouth, IID 7926858
    book value is $2,600 was hoping to spend less than $2,000 but if it is as nice as it looks I wouldn't mind spending a little more. Anyone have experience with these trucks and what are the things to look out for? I've wanted one of these two doors since I was 16 so this would be great if it works out but if its a bad deal I'll just keep looking, got enough farm trucks in the family that the SS won't be seeing any snow (more importantly salt!) regardless.

current 2nd option would be this but buying a car off CL scares the crap out of me- 1995 Chevy Suburban/Best Offer

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

My first truck was a 95 Silverado with the ole TBI350. The drivetrain is fantastic, but underpowered compared to what is out there today. Plus fuel economy is no comparison to the newer vehicles.

Not a whole lot to look for as far as common problems that I can think of. I did have to rebuild the trans at about 100k miles, and I had a nuetral safety switch go out on the transfer case, and a seat frame rust and break on me. That's really it as far as repairs go. The engines are proven to last, but the body around it will rot out on you quickly if it's not taken care of. Beware of rocker panels, and door bottoms... A lot of ppl try cheap "fixes" to cover the rust holes up.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

yea I know the power and mileage wont be great but it will be better than the truck I just got ride of to get my car. It was a 02 dodge 1500 with the old 5.9 motor, 245hp and 12.5 mpg so I'm ok with anything better than that haha. Rust will be what i'm looking at the most when I go to look at it tonight then the trans

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

its a small block chevy nuff said.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by REVNORR82 View Post
    its a small block chevy nuff said.
    yep not concerned about the engine more with the rest of the truck. Suspension, rear end etc.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

That suburban looks rough.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

HA stealership wants 4,995 for the Yukon and the door wells are pretty rusty along with the bottom of the doors.
    Calling about this tonight HERE'S A DECENT CHEVY 4X4 little older but a nice looking truck

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Well all above turned out to be busts so the search continues. Seriously considering this - 94 caprice wagon....good condition
    LT-1 powered and doesn't look too bad, and who doesn't love a woody

sunset orange metallic
    2002 T/A convertible

Yo, I have a '92 Yukon that I bought brand new. It just turned 200k last week. The only big things I've done to it are : rebuilding the original trans at 110K,then finally replacing it at 194K, replaced the ring and pinion gear in the rear axle, a couple of radiators, and the usual maintenance stuff. The other big fix was eliminating the rust spots along the rocker panels and around the wheel-wells (rear ). The only design flaw with these trucks was the idler arm, which only had a two-bolt mounting system. I had to replace mine roughly every 40K. The only real mod done to it was a set of custom dual-exhausts. Interested? I could let it go for $3,500. I know the mileage is high but it's probably 80% hiway miles. Been to Florida and back
    6x, been to Sturgis, Wyoming and Colorado. Doesn't blow smoke, uses a quart of oil roughly every 4-5k. Paint is OK, some scratches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    My first truck was a 95 Silverado with the ole TBI350. The drivetrain is fantastic, but underpowered compared to what is out there today. Plus fuel economy is no comparison to the newer vehicles.
    You missed the power upgrade by just a year In 96 the vortec 350 truck engine was introduced, with a nice bump in power. I'd concentrate on those years just for that reason.
    For what it's worth they are your basic TBI 350's with the new vortec heads that everyone craves (among some other minor changes)

Quote Originally Posted by Shermanator86 View Post
    Well all above turned out to be busts so the search continues. Seriously considering this - 94 caprice wagon....good condition
    LT-1 powered and doesn't look too bad, and who doesn't love a woody
    I like the full size caprice and caprice wagons with the LT1's. A friend of mine has one. A real sleeper with white walls and all But for what you are doing I'd lean towards a 4x4 of some kind. I know how those winters can be back East.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by 02ragtop t/a View Post
    Yo, I have a '92 Yukon that I bought brand new. It just turned 200k last week. The only big things I've done to it are : rebuilding the original trans at 110K,then finally replacing it at 194K, replaced the ring and pinion gear in the rear axle, a couple of radiators, and the usual maintenance stuff. The other big fix was eliminating the rust spots along the rocker panels and around the wheel-wells (rear ). The only design flaw with these trucks was the idler arm, which only had a two-bolt mounting system. I had to replace mine roughly every 40K. The only real mod done to it was a set of custom dual-exhausts. Interested? I could let it go for $3,500. I know the mileage is high but it's probably 80% hiway miles. Been to Florida and back
    6x, been to Sturgis, Wyoming and Colorado. Doesn't blow smoke, uses a quart of oil roughly every 4-5k. Paint is OK, some scratches, etc.
    Well thanks man but its a little late haha, just bought this little bastard friday

not the best option for snow but got a deal on some snow tires and if it gets too shitty out and i really need a 4x4 i can always borrow my parents jeep or their farm truck. Plus this was $1,000 and it runs with no leaks and the under body and sub frames are solid

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02ragtop t/a View Post
    Interested? I could let it go for $3,500.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

yea i know i went the total opposite direction

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

What is that!!!!

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

haha a damn go cart, and like i said $1000 running car that has no leaks

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Ya well get a set of studded tires and it should go pretty good.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

was thinking about getting one of them sweet wings for the back

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I took a dump and attached pinewood derby plastic wheels to it. I could let that go for $990!!

Thread Information