Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Like Tree7Likes

SS Silverado is no more... :(

This is a discussion on SS Silverado is no more... :( within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Smittro The reason you don't see manual transmissions in many GM vehicles is, simply put, no one ...

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    The reason you don't see manual transmissions in many GM vehicles is, simply put, no one buys them.

Most people are looking to just drop a vehicle in gear and go.

I can name @ least one example in cars where this was done for sure,

and after well over a decade they still did't offer a manual in that particular car.

Even though many of us prefer a standard transmission, today, the word, "standard" means it's an automatic to most people.

On the flip side a standard is a hassel in any heavy traffic situation.

Especially in places like Pittsburgh where you could be stuck in rush hour traffic for miles, and hours.

As far as I'm concerned, GM does'nt make many "good" automatics..

Most of them are weak slush boxes hunting for a gear.

I've had more than 10 Gm cars/trucks, every stock automatic I ever had besides the TH400 (since we're talking tucks) was garbage..

And/or needed something changed right out of the box. Whether it was a tune or just plain needing beefed up..

..And it gets far worse when you talk about GM cars..
    I think your idea of no one wanting a manual trans are family oriented people that don't care about performance. That's a large majority of the population and always has been. But there is still a market for a manual trans car albiet not an extemely large one, but it never has been. It mainly revolves among us performance oriented folk and car collectors. The manual trans cars have always been more desirable in the collector car market and I don't see that changing.

- - - Updated - - -

Which just so happens to be basicly a th400 with OD.. iirc

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I think your idea of no one wanting a manual trans are family oriented people that don't care about performance. That's a large majority of the population and always has been. But there is still a market for a manual trans car albiet not an extemely large one, but it never has been. It mainly revolves among us performance oriented folk and car collectors. The manual trans cars have always been more desirable in the collector car market and I don't see that changing.

- - - Updated - - -

You're probably right about the family car idea.

However if you ask just about any high volume dealer manual trany car/trucks usually end up just sitting on their lots waiting for a buyer while the same make model in an auto is selling.

When I was a kid just about everyone I knew could drive a standard shift vehicle,

today many folks can't drive a "stick" (as many young folk call them).

I even have a buddy so unfamilier with the workings of cars that he calls an automatic with a console shifter a "stick".

We went to a car show years ago and he asked a guy with a 454 Chevelle, quote, "what you got in there 10 big blocks or something?" end quote..

The guy looks @ him then looks @ me like, "hey who let the monkey in here?!"

You're probably right about the family car idea.

However if you ask just about any high volume dealer manual trany car/trucks usually end up just sitting on their lots waiting for a buyer while the same make model in an auto is selling.

When I was a kid just about everyone I knew could drive a standard shift vehicle,

today many folks can't drive a "stick" (as many young folk call them).

I even have a buddy so unfamilier with the workings of cars that he calls an automatic with a console shifter a "stick".

We went to a car show years ago and he asked a guy with a 454 Chevelle, quote, "what you got in there 10 big blocks or something?" end quote..

The guy looks @ him then looks @ me like, "hey who let the monkey in here?!"
    Boy this country is getting soft.....

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I had to teach myself how to drive a standard transmission. And I never owned one until I bought my Camaro.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I've driven just about every kind of domestic standard (or better put a shit ton lol) there is.

As a Mack mechanic I'd driven Split Eaton Fullers, all the way down to cars, pickups, motorcycles etc.

Learned to drive a manual in an old Chevy Citation X-11 @ the age of 7-8.
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-06-2012 at 12:56 PM.

red
    95 Z28

The reason you don't see manual transmissions in many GM vehicles is, simply put, no one buys them.

Most people are looking to just drop a vehicle in gear and go.

I can name @ least one example in cars where this was done for sure,

and after well over a decade they still did't offer a manual in that particular car.

Even though many of us prefer a standard transmission, today, the word, "standard" means it's an automatic to most people.

On the flip side a standard is a hassel in any heavy traffic situation.

Especially in places like Pittsburgh where you could be stuck in rush hour traffic for miles, and hours.

As far as I'm concerned, GM does'nt make many "good" automatics..

Most of them are weak slush boxes hunting for a gear.

I've had more than 10 Gm cars/trucks, every stock automatic I ever had besides the TH400 (since we're talking tucks) was garbage..

And/or needed something changed right out of the box. Whether it was a tune or just plain needing beefed up..

..And it gets far worse when you talk about GM cars..
    I wouldnt want a manual trans in any kind of performance oriented truck. It might be more fun to drive, but it wont be a better performer. Once the shifter has to get that long to fit the cab of a truck, the shifting becomes even more tedious, and makes launching even harder in a tail-light vehicle when you shock the drivetrain as is common with a manual. Notice how poor the SRT10 Rams performed, given their power level. An older lightning that's down over 100hp to one is a good race for it, and a stock sy/ty isnt far behind if at all with less than 300hp. lol

And as far as GM's automatics... your personal opinion is just that, and most people and industry experts disagree. There's a reason that Ford, BMW, and other companies have at times (and currently) use GM designed transmissions in their vehicles. I dont disagree that the trans tuning GM puts into some of their vehicles is baffling at times, but it doesnt make it a bad trans. GM makes many excellent automatic tranmissions.

Yes.
    bunch of them

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post

And as far as GM's automatics... your personal opinion is just that, and most people and industry experts disagree. There's a reason that Ford, BMW, and other companies have at times (and currently) use GM designed transmissions in their vehicles. I dont disagree that the trans tuning GM puts into some of their vehicles is baffling at times, but it doesnt make it a bad trans. GM makes many excellent automatic tranmissions.
    What??? Did someone just bring some truth up in here? I was starting to think there was no reality among this site...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I wouldnt want a manual trans in any kind of performance oriented truck. It might be more fun to drive, but it wont be a better performer. Once the shifter has to get that long to fit the cab of a truck, the shifting becomes even more tedious, and makes launching even harder in a tail-light vehicle when you shock the drivetrain as is common with a manual. Notice how poor the SRT10 Rams performed, given their power level. An older lightning that's down over 100hp to one is a good race for it, and a stock sy/ty isnt far behind if at all with less than 300hp. lol

Name them and give proof. Funny man..

You may be a "racer" but that don't mean a damn' thing to me..

For every "GOOD" GM trans you post I will show to the contrary..

I'll give you the ones that are in fact "good".
    I like how you site my opinions, then back it up with more opinions..

You're funny maybe you should write this stuff down..

Many GM transmissions (autos) are junk FACT!!..

Why do you think they out source from Germany so much huh?

Good luck!
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-07-2012 at 02:20 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA View Post
    What??? Did someone just bring some truth up in here? I was starting to think there was no reality among this site...
    Then.... Why are you here?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

...and futher more there slick these "industry experts" you say, are these the same experts that have turned out thousands of recalled Gm cars and transmissions??

How many FWD cars have you owned, raced, or even driven??

Browser search... Use it!
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-07-2012 at 02:15 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Hmm after a 2 second, half hearted search..

Other Reported Complaints

• The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has fielded repeated complaints on a number of GM transmission woes. These range from unpredictable four-wheel drive performance to "undersized transmissions" to fan failure during shifting. By researching your GM model vehicle in the NHTSA files, you may find an excellent resource for troubleshooting your potential transmission problem.

Saturn Problems

• There were considerable transmission problems with the Saturn Vues and Ions that were produced between the years 2002 and 2005. In fact, according to Motor Trend, the continuously variable transmissions installed in these vehicles were such continuous "failures" that GM discontinued the transmissions and settled a related class action suit.

I tossed in the Saturn one just to have an odd ball in there..

Quick! Call the "experts"! ask them how the class actions are going..

My posts stand as Accurately stated..
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-07-2012 at 02:40 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Now with all that said..

I still strickly buy GM.. But I am not affraid to call a duck a duck either..

I don't care about what dodge or ford do..

Now with all that said..

I still strickly buy GM.. But I am not affraid to call a duck a duck either..

I don't care about what dodge or ford do..
    I hear ya Smitty, I've always been a GM guy but I'm not afraid to speak out what's crap and what isn't. I'm not afraid to own something other than GM either if I feel the need.

I just call it like I see it. As far as auto's and issues, that's been an issue for GM since the first 700 was introduced. The 4L60 and 4L65 are just spin offs of that trans with updates (to fix known problems ) They still aren't rated to hold alot of power or large towing capabilities.
    The 4L80E is an excellent trans, based off the 400 turbo that has been the mainstay GM automatic muscle car trans since 1967 on up, also another excellent trans that has proven it's ability. GM knew it and stuck with alot of design features to develop the 4L80.
    Now we have this new wave of 6 speed auto's coming out, and again they are showing growing pains as expected with limited power capabilities and the aftermarket is still trying to figure them out.

Auto's are okay, but as I said, they still sell to more family oriented type people. The manuals are still the mainstay in performance oriented vehicles. Look at your purpose built performance cars like the Z06 built since when?? 2001?? What trans have they always been built with? Just one example to show a manual still has a place, and it's still chosen frequently in alot of V8 rear wheel drive cars today.
    Complaining about driving a manual in traffic is just lazyness in my opinion. But that's just one example of how I mention society getting soft. You wouldn't have heard that kind of talk 30 years ago.

Keep in mind, I'm not knocking auto's, they have a place too.
    Smittro likes this.

red
    95 Z28

Name them and give proof. Funny man..

You may be a "racer" but that don't mean a damn' thing to me..

For every "GOOD" GM trans you post I will show to the contrary..

I'll give you the ones that are in fact "good".
    I like how you site my opinions, then back it up with more opinions..

You're funny maybe you should write this stuff down..

Many GM transmissions (autos) are junk FACT!!..

Why do you think they out source from Germany so much huh?

Good luck!
    ...and futher more there slick these "industry experts" you say, are these the same experts that have turned out thousands of recalled Gm cars and transmissions??

How many FWD cars have you owned, raced, or even driven??

Browser search... Use it!
    You know, I merely disagreed with your post, and didnt do it in an inflammatory way, and you come back with this. Anyone who disagrees with you gets an incredibly inflammatory response, and I'm not the only one who sees this. I think more than a few people have had it with this kind of thing.

red
    95 Z28

And I think this thread is about done.
    Smittro likes this.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread Information