Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

SS Silverado is no more... :(

This is a discussion on SS Silverado is no more... :( within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; ***UPDATE*** The Macomb County Sheriff department has located the ole SS!!! errrr.... what's left of it. I don't have pictures, ...

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

***UPDATE***

The Macomb County Sheriff department has located the ole SS!!!

errrr.... what's left of it. I don't have pictures, or a very good description of what is left, but from my understanding, it's a whole lotta frame and cab... and that's about it.

Fucking scum bags. Liam Neeson time... I will find you, and I will kill you!

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Look at it this way, the engine and trans will probably make it into a suitable retro swap. It will still be alive, just born again in a different body

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Look at it this way, the engine and trans will probably make it into a suitable retro swap. It will still be alive, just born again in a different body
    Yeah but I want the engine!!!!

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

Silverado SS was available with AWD (with a 10-bolt/disc brake rear) or RWD (14-bolt/drum brake rear), although at release they were only AWD.

The truck 6.2 has VVT (which is really variable cam phasing in a GenIV smallblock, but GM still calls it VVT so people don't get confused).

It's weird seeing Macomb County Sheriff's Department mentioned here; I used to live on Hall and work just south of the jail on Groesbeck.

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    Silverado SS was available with AWD (with a 10-bolt/disc brake rear) or RWD (14-bolt/drum brake rear), although at release they were only AWD.

Too bad GM didn't build them like the original concept (short box single cab with a 6 speed) then they would have really had something special.
    By the time it hit production it was a pig. Sorry for the SS lovers, it's an okay truck,,,,just not worthy of the SS nomenclature in my opinion.

Yes.
    bunch of them

Too bad GM didn't build them like the original concept (short box single cab with a 6 speed) then they would have really had something special.
    By the time it hit production it was a pig. Sorry for the SS lovers, it's an okay truck,,,,just not worthy of the SS nomenclature in my opinion.

It depends on what you intend to do with them... Somehow, I don't see me towing the car to the track and other events in a RCSB 6 speed, and oh yeah, damn does that back seat come in handy.I have no gripes with my AWD pig when we go on a winter vacation which includes snow, or heaving the car trailer across wet grass at the track at closing time- And last I checked, 8.0 @90 wasn't exactly pig territory for a 5400 lb AWD truck.

Quote Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA View Post
    It depends on what you intend to do with them... Somehow, I don't see me towing the car to the track and other events in a RCSB 6 speed, and oh yeah, damn does that back seat come in handy.I have no gripes with my AWD pig when we go on a winter vacation which includes snow, or heaving the car trailer across wet grass at the track at closing time- And last I checked, 8.0 @90 wasn't exactly pig territory for a 5400 lb AWD truck.
    Personally,,,,that's not a truck I would look at for towing purposes (at all) but that's just me. With the SS monikor and the intentions GM had for the truck, it's supposed to be more of a sporty truck than a heavy hauler. The suspension isn't there for the big loads, and not enough power for me. I'm sure it tows small things okay, but I wouldn't try to pull my 28 foot enclosed with it even as the truck was eventually built.
    For a tow vehicle I'll take my old big block 1 ton every time. It runs away from my dads newer 6.0 3/4 ton truck.

And last time I checked, these big SS trucks didn't run 8.0's in stock form They were pigs when new compared to what GM originally concepted the vehicle from, I think you get my point..... Modified doesn't really count, as we all can make anything run fast with a little money.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-05-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I believe an OEM AWD SS would run a 14.9. I have no idea about 1/8 mile numbers.

My old SS now goes the 1/4 mile in the back of a scrap truck.

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I believe an OEM AWD SS would run a 14.9. I have no idea about 1/8 mile numbers.

My old SS now goes the 1/4 mile in the back of a scrap truck.
    Yeah that's about right and not bad for a big truck, it's just not the truck GM originally concepted, which would have been another second quicker more than likely. 8.0's that the other guy claims above is a mid 12 second run,,,that's not a stock truck.

I think either my point was missed or someone is trying to be difficult, which ever the case may be, I'm not knocking the truck, I'm sure it's a fine truck. My pig comment was referring to what the truck was initially introduced to the public to be and what the truck eventually became when it hit production. It went from a short box 1/2 ton standard cab 6.0/6-speed sport truck to a extended cab long bed automatic pig, and that's the only way they were made.

I think GM would have really had something if they had built the truck in the lighter platform and a manual trans. Now that would be an SS truck that appeals to people like myself. We all know GM (for what ever reason) decided to put the 6.0's in nothing less than 3/4 tons. I guess they were more comfortable making this truck larger before hitting production.

That's typical GM style, they either change it before production, or when they have something decent it only lasts 2-3 years and it's gone. This particular truck fell into both of those catagories.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I see what you mean.

When I purchased the truck, I had no assumptions that it was a race truck, nor did I have any intentions of making it so. I bought it because I love the looks of it, it towed what I needed it to, and it handled the Michigan winters like a boss.

So I was not disappointed in the truck at all, since I had no pre-concieved notions of what the truck could have been.

I like the looks of the truck too, they stand out from the run of the mill trucks out on the road.

Yes.
    bunch of them

It went from a short box 1/2 ton standard cab 6.0/6-speed sport truck to a extended cab long bed automatic pig, and that's the only way they were made.

They were never long beds, since we're getting so technical here. It tows a single car trailer just fine, and lets be real, a old Big Block one ton? Gimme a DMax/Allison if i need to pull anything big. Everyone loves to whine about what could have been with these trucks, but I think you can say that with ANY production vehicle. I didn't say my truck was dead stock, but it's far from highly modded, either. How quick was that Concept SS truck again? Oh, and while we're picking things apart, the 800 Platform SS trucks were a damn sight quicker than even the '80E backed 454SS. I don't hear any whining about those trucks it seems?

Quote Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA View Post
    They were never long beds, since we're getting so technical here. It tows a single car trailer just fine, and lets be real, a old Big Block one ton? Gimme a DMax/Allison if i need to pull anything big. Everyone loves to whine about what could have been with these trucks, but I think you can say that with ANY production vehicle. I didn't say my truck was dead stock, but it's far from highly modded, either. How quick was that Concept SS truck again? Oh, and while we're picking things apart, the 800 Platform SS trucks were a damn sight quicker than even the '80E backed 454SS. I don't hear any whining about those trucks it seems?
    Just a bit touchy aren't we?

I'd love to have a duramax too, but for $60k I think my 79 1 ton with it's 502 gets the job done just fine.

I'm sure your truck pulls an open car trailer just fine, any 1/2 ton could do that. But it just doesn't compare to a 1 ton truck tow capability with 540 ft lbs of torque. Hook a 10,000 lbs. 28 foot enclosed to that truck and see which one makes it to the top of the hill first
    That was my whole point about towing and why your truck wouldn't have been my first choice, even back when I pulled around a little 1600 lbs. open trailer.

None of this was meant to insult you, but you seem to have taken it personal. Like I mentioned above, this was just my observation of the truck, which just doesn't fit my needs as a truck. If you like it that's all that matters.

Yes.
    bunch of them

Not touchy at all, I traded a CC DRW LBZ Dmax for the SSS. I just get weary of all the whining and moaning and general classsification of the SS trucks (in most cases, by someone who has never driven one, much less owned). To hear some folks tell it, I'd be better off with a '90 F150 with a 300 6 in it.

red
    95 Z28

Yeah that's about right and not bad for a big truck, it's just not the truck GM originally concepted, which would have been another second quicker more than likely. 8.0's that the other guy claims above is a mid 12 second run,,,that's not a stock truck.

I think either my point was missed or someone is trying to be difficult, which ever the case may be, I'm not knocking the truck, I'm sure it's a fine truck. My pig comment was referring to what the truck was initially introduced to the public to be and what the truck eventually became when it hit production. It went from a short box 1/2 ton standard cab 6.0/6-speed sport truck to a extended cab long bed automatic pig, and that's the only way they were made.

I think GM would have really had something if they had built the truck in the lighter platform and a manual trans. Now that would be an SS truck that appeals to people like myself. We all know GM (for what ever reason) decided to put the 6.0's in nothing less than 3/4 tons. I guess they were more comfortable making this truck larger before hitting production.

That's typical GM style, they either change it before production, or when they have something decent it only lasts 2-3 years and it's gone. This particular truck fell into both of those catagories.
    I think for most people it would have been a cooler truck in a RCSB, with maybe an option for a extended cab. And instead of making it a performance truck, they made it one big compromise that didnt do anything really well, including towing with an iffy trans behind the 6.0 and with awd. You'll notice Ford never made an extended cab awd lightning, or tried to give anyone any preconceived notions about it being able to really tow or haul anything.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The reason you don't see manual transmissions in many GM vehicles is, simply put, no one buys them.

Most people are looking to just drop a vehicle in gear and go.

I can name @ least one example in cars where this was done for sure,

and after well over a decade they still did't offer a manual in that particular car.

Even though many of us prefer a standard transmission, today, the word, "standard" means it's an automatic to most people.

On the flip side a standard is a hassel in any heavy traffic situation.

Especially in places like Pittsburgh where you could be stuck in rush hour traffic for miles, and hours.

As far as I'm concerned, GM does'nt make many "good" automatics..

Most of them are weak slush boxes hunting for a gear.

I've had more than 10 Gm cars/trucks, every stock automatic I ever had besides the TH400 (since we're talking tucks) was garbage..

And/or needed something changed right out of the box. Whether it was a tune or just plain needing beefed up..

..And it gets far worse when you talk about GM cars..
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-06-2012 at 05:35 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Even the D-max was matted to a trans that would grenade as soon as you added any power over stock.

Have 2 buddies whom race D-max extended cab 4x4's (I am talking about big trucks in the 12's here).

Both had to have their autos completely rebuilt back when they were only breaking into the high mid 13's.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I think for most people it would have been a cooler truck in a RCSB, with maybe an option for a extended cab. And instead of making it a performance truck, they made it one big compromise that didnt do anything really well, including towing with an iffy trans behind the 6.0 and with awd. You'll notice Ford never made an extended cab awd lightning, or tried to give anyone any preconceived notions about it being able to really tow or haul anything.
    I agree, Ford did it right for a performance truck. The 6.0 is a capable engine, but the ones that were meant to tow had 4L80E's behind them and 3/4 ton suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Even the D-max was matted to a trans that would grenade as soon as you added any power over stock.

Have 2 buddies whom race D-max extended cab 4x4's (I am talking about big trucks in the 12's here).

Both had to have their autos completely rebuilt back when they were only breaking into the high mid 13's.
    The early year duramax did have allison transmission issues when power was thrown at them. Remember back then (circa 2000-2003) the duramax was only rated at 500 ft lbs. out of the factory (my 79 with a 502 makes 537 ft lbs.).
    People started turning up the boost, much over 100 hp and transmissions started acting up. I think that problem has been addressed with the newer models that are now rated at what.............700-800ft lbs.???

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I agree, Ford did it right for a performance truck. The 6.0 is a capable engine, but the ones that were meant to tow had 4L80E's behind them and 3/4 ton suspension
    Which just so happens to be basicly a th400 with OD.. iirc

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread Information