Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

SS Silverado is no more... :(

This is a discussion on SS Silverado is no more... :( within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones And the prices haven't stopped yet. $4.19 a gallon here now and climbing. We haven't quite ...

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    And the prices haven't stopped yet. $4.19 a gallon here now and climbing.
    We haven't quite hit that mark yet... but we're damn close to $4

I can find it cheaper at the no name stations ($3.99) but I don't buy that crap gas. That's for 91 octane too by the way, I don't buy the cheaper stuff for anything, not even the lawn mower.

We don't have it as bad as others though. Just over in San Diego it's $4.60 a gallon, and the news says some places in New York are already $5.00.

Pewter
    '00 SS

It has been around 4.30 for the last couple years here in Hawaii.

I thought that if gas prices ever reached $5, the US has to tap into our own oil supply. Could be wrong but I remember a big wig oil guy telling me that.
    Suspension: Lower control arms (Spohn), Drive shaft safety loop, Torque arm (Edlebrock), Strut tower brace, Panhard Bar (BMR)

Under the Hood: Smooth bellows, Lid, Catch can, LT Headers, ORY, AIR/EGR delete, Poly engine/transmission mounts,

Exterior: Painted brake calipers (Red), Halo “Spyder” Headlights w/matching parking/turn signals (Black)

Pewter
    '00 SS

But...how do you like your truck Andy? When we moved back to Tx And get settled, I am gonna look into The new Silverado's.

My Dad got one new in '93 and I got it for my 15th b-day ('98ish)with 110k on it. I drove it (even in Hawaii) until 230k. Got off deployment with some cash to burn and bough my car ('07). Now I wish I still had that truck. Man I miss it. That thing coulda been on a Chevy truck commercial for dependability. Kept up with the maintenance and had to rebuild the trans but that was it.

My Mom has a Ram that she ans on giving me when we get back to Tx so I can leave the Camaro as a toy. I like the truck but when its time to buy one, Chevy will definetly be my choice.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    But...how do you like your truck Andy? When we moved back to Tx And get settled, I am gonna look into The new Silverado's.

My Dad got one new in '93 and I got it for my 15th b-day ('98ish)with 110k on it. I drove it (even in Hawaii) until 230k. Got off deployment with some cash to burn and bough my car ('07). Now I wish I still had that truck. Man I miss it. That thing coulda been on a Chevy truck commercial for dependability. Kept up with the maintenance and had to rebuild the trans but that was it.

My Mom has a Ram that she ans on giving me when we get back to Tx so I can leave the Camaro as a toy. I like the truck but when its time to buy one, Chevy will definetly be my choice.
    Oh I love the truck!! The best part about it, is I have a 4x4 "off road" truck again. I loved my SS, but in the dead of winter, I now have the opportunity again to go back roading with a 12 pack and pulling people out of ditches. I know its weird, but I enjoy it. And I can actually go off road again! The performance is fantastic, but comparing it to my SS would be apples to oranges. The GMT900 trucks are a completely different platform and totally refined compared to the previous models. The power is there when I want it, but other than that she is tame as can be. 1st gear WOT is a joke too btw 2nd gear however, is a damn beast. The comfort goes to the new truck hands down... ride quality as well as interior comfort.

I am happy with my decision, and honestly, I'd probably be happy even if I went with the 5.3 vs. the 6.2.

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

red
    95 Z28

I can find it cheaper at the no name stations ($3.99) but I don't buy that crap gas. That's for 91 octane too by the way, I don't buy the cheaper stuff for anything, not even the lawn mower.
    That "crappy" gas at the no name stations comes from the same refinery as anything else you're buying around there. Also, your lawn mower was not designed to run on 91 octane, and in fact wont run as well on 91 octane as it would lower octane. I know you tuned your 6 liter, so perhaps it needs it, but if it was stock it too wouldnt benefit one bit from 91. And as I'm sure you know, at higher altitude you have a reduced need for octane in most cases.

On the contrary, lawn mowers need to run on high octane. I found that out years ago from a local friend running a lawn mower business since the 70's. I went in for repair and he could tell I was running cheap stuff in it. Top of the piston was beat to death. Told me to run nothing but higher octane fuels in them. Unfortunately now with 10% ethanol (I'll get to that in a minute) the lawn mowers are running like crap, they were never designed for that stuff (mine aren't anyway). Now they are hard to start and when cold very tempermental until they warm up. Really need to fatten up the fuel curve to make them happy,,,,pfff.

Back to ethanol, with a little test kit (you can find them all over the internet) I've been checking various pumps. I've seen as much as 17% ethanol at some of the cheaper stations that are advertising 10%. So gas isn't the same everywhere regardless of refineries, different places have their own additive packages, and I'm definately seeing a difference at various stations. I'd recommend trying the test kit and see what you find in your area.

Check this site out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Top Tier Gasoline

These are the stations that are best to stick with. I'm finding I get better mileage using Shell gas verses some of the others, and their ethanol content seems to stay more consistent (probably why I get better mileage readings). You will pay a little more but worth it in the end. I've gotten gas that was so bad from lesser name places I had to drain the tank, (namely grocery store gas that sell at cheap prices).

Yes my cars are tuned on the higher octane, (all of them) even the LS powered vehicles. Although I haven't seen the higher altitude affect octane levels as much as I thought they would. The 91 octane isn't much to speak of, and moving up here I actually had to reduce timing in all the cars from previous sea level tunes I was running, the gas is just crap anymore. I find the AFR changes more drastically and affects how the car runs more than anything else. I now run the same timing at sea level (where the track is) that I run up here at 6,000 feet. But there is no way I could run 87 in the LS cars anymore, I'd have to go back in and revamp the timing tables and enjoy a drop in power,,,wooohoo.

red
    95 Z28

On the contrary, lawn mowers need to run on high octane. I found that out years ago from a local friend running a lawn mower business since the 70's. I went in for repair and he could tell I was running cheap stuff in it. Top of the piston was beat to death. Told me to run nothing but higher octane fuels in them. Unfortunately now with 10% ethanol (I'll get to that in a minute) the lawn mowers are running like crap, they were never designed for that stuff (mine aren't anyway). Now they are hard to start and when cold very tempermental until they warm up. Really need to fatten up the fuel curve to make them happy,,,,pfff.

Back to ethanol, with a little test kit (you can find them all over the internet) I've been checking various pumps. I've seen as much as 17% ethanol at some of the cheaper stations that are advertising 10%. So gas isn't the same everywhere regardless of refineries, different places have their own additive packages, and I'm definately seeing a difference at various stations. I'd recommend trying the test kit and see what you find in your area.

Check this site out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Top Tier Gasoline

These are the stations that are best to stick with. I'm finding I get better mileage using Shell gas verses some of the others, and their ethanol content seems to stay more consistent (probably why I get better mileage readings). You will pay a little more but worth it in the end. I've gotten gas that was so bad from lesser name places I had to drain the tank, (namely grocery store gas that sell at cheap prices).

Yes my cars are tuned on the higher octane, (all of them) even the LS powered vehicles. Although I haven't seen the higher altitude affect octane levels as much as I thought they would. The 91 octane isn't much to speak of, and moving up here I actually had to reduce timing in all the cars from previous sea level tunes I was running, the gas is just crap anymore. I find the AFR changes more drastically and affects how the car runs more than anything else. I now run the same timing at sea level (where the track is) that I run up here at 6,000 feet. But there is no way I could run 87 in the LS cars anymore, I'd have to go back in and revamp the timing tables and enjoy a drop in power,,,wooohoo.

Well, there are plenty of people who disagree with your friend with his lawn mower business. I raced karts for years, and when I started doing it, it was in a briggs class. Needless to say I learned plenty about getting the best performance out of them, even though we ran alcohol most of the time. Lower octane gas isnt beating the shit out of the piston in a lawnmower engine. As for the gas stations near you... it must suck to live there. Around here, gas is pretty consistent regarding ethanol quantities. I'm well aware of the different "additive packages", and well beyond just myself have noted very little difference in performance in many vehicles. Turbocharged vehicles are the exception though it seems. My truck doesnt run any better at all on 91, so it would be a complete waste of money to run it on it. My truck even runs fine with identical fuel mileage on 85 here in Colorado.

It's not just here, I had similar issues in Ohio as well although not as bad. At least out there I could find stations that didn't have any ethanol at all. If I'm not mistaken, I'd bet Colorado gets their gas from the same areas we do. We have what they call California gas here, which I know is in Nevada and Utah as well as Texas and New Mexico.
    Sounds like you haven't used an ethanol test kit. Give it a try. It's not expensive and the results are interesting.

red
    95 Z28

It's not just here, I had similar issues in Ohio as well although not as bad. At least out there I could find stations that didn't have any ethanol at all. If I'm not mistaken, I'd bet Colorado gets their gas from the same areas we do. We have what they call California gas here, which I know is in Nevada and Utah as well as Texas and New Mexico.
    Sounds like you haven't used an ethanol test kit. Give it a try. It's not expensive and the results are interesting.

I believe all of Colorado's oil comes in from the north. Perhaps it's because I'm in a large metro area that it stays more consistent. I myself havent used a test kit, but I've read about results from many local stations,and I havent experienced results that have indicated on the contrary. We do have a couple of stations that do sell no-ethanol gas (not during winter though I believe), but it's rediculously expensive. I've always wanted to try it, but could never reap any benefit at the cost difference.

Nice that you have that option though. We don't have (that I can find anyway) gas stations without ethanol. Maybe I'll get a chance to try it (been a while for me) We plan to get up your way (well not all the way ) to Durango and ride the Silverton train this summer.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

What octane is Spaz's gas?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 WS6

Gorgeous truck! Love the new body styles

puter/blk
    02 CAMARO Z28

i cant beleive you got rid of the ss all day i would of kept it just saying ... been looking for one for quit sometime now

puter/blk
    02 CAMARO Z28

my dream was to have it pull my camaro to the track but hey nice truck though i still think you messed up lol

puter/blk
    02 CAMARO Z28

it is 3.75 in pa and i thought that was high wow they are taking you all bad out there

red
    95 Z28

So how exactly did he mess up getting a truck that is better in every single way than the older silverado SS?

Quote Originally Posted by WILDKARDBOYZ View Post
    it is 3.75 in pa and i thought that was high wow they are taking you all bad out there
    $3.75 for what?? 87 octane?? That's about what it is all over. It's pretty costly everywhere, I don't think PA has it any better than most places. When I was in Ohio (almost PA you might as well say ) at the last gas hike I was paying over $4 a gallon for 93,,,,that's no different than what I'm paying in AZ for 91 now.

Yes.
    bunch of them

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    So how exactly did he mess up getting a truck that is better in every single way than the older silverado SS?
    Because it doesn't look like this.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information