Metallic Purple-blue
    2003 Silverado 2500HD

Question Soldier in Afghanistan trying to build LQ4 back home

Howdy y'all. I am a US Army soldier currently deployed to Afghanistan and am trying to get an engine built for my truck back home. I have a 2003 silverado 2500hd with the lq4 engine. It has 140,000 miles on it currently and am looking to get 700hp at the wheels with it. I am looking at Vortech superchargers, heads, cams, and anything else that I may need to do this. I have basic mechanical knowledge, but not enough to do this on my own. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer as far as advice in how to make this truck get 700hp at the wheels and still be reliable enough to drive every day. I am looking to spend about ten grand. Thank you very much. All advice is highly appreciated.
    LQ4 engine with 140,000 miles
    Five speed manual transmission
    4.10 gears
    4wd
    Regular cab long bed

green
    98 formula

no offense, but 10k isnt gonna do it for you. My suggestion is build a forged shortblock and good heads. With the 2-3k left get a good clutch and beef up the trans. This should get you in the 350-400 rwhp level reliably. When you can afford it add a power adder.

Thanks for your service!

Metallic Purple-blue
    2003 Silverado 2500HD

Okay thank you for the reply. Would you have any ideas into making this an affordable performance build with not as impressive final specs? With a baby on the way, money is getting tight

green
    98 formula

Well since you "have a baby on the way, and money is getting tight" This project is just a fantasy for now. Unfortunately if you did build the engine up the mpg's will go down, and so will reliability. These trucks can go well past 200k if taken care of. I am not saying don't have a project. Maybe just an older cheaper one, that you don't have to depend on. If the truck is not payed off use the 10k toward that, by far the best mod I ever have done is pay a vehicle off.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Quote Originally Posted by joejenkinsglass View Post
    Well since you "have a baby on the way, and money is getting tight" This project is just a fantasy for now. Unfortunately if you did build the engine up the mpg's will go down, and so will reliability. These trucks can go well past 200k if taken care of. I am not saying don't have a project. Maybe just an older cheaper one, that you don't have to depend on. If the truck is not payed off use the 10k toward that, by far the best mod I ever have done is pay a vehicle off.

Amen brother!!!

Metallic Purple-blue
    2003 Silverado 2500HD

Well, I've decided what to do. I've come across some money upon a relative recently passing...not the way I want to earn money, but it's going to almost pay the truck off. So I have now decided upon making the stock LQ4 into a 408ci stroker. I'm going to stay naturally aspirated, but will open it up a bit with headers and having the stock 317 heads machined somewhat when the block gets done. What my question is now is what to look for in a cam? I want it to have a fairly loppy idle so folks know what it's got in it, but I've heard clearance is an issue with these motors. Just looking for suggestions on parts and where to order online. Thanks to all

Thread Information