Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 218192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

See those trucks

This is a discussion on See those trucks within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Throw it out in the yard for a few days so it can rust out a bit. It'll match the ...

red
    95 Z28

Throw it out in the yard for a few days so it can rust out a bit. It'll match the truck better.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I finished installing my load leveler spring kit today. Its the Firestone AirBag helper spring kit for the 1/2 ton Silverado. I usually get the best negative/ rain on my parade feedback here (which is actually a good thing in my mind). So any thoughts?
    Click for full size
    nope.....looks good. Should make a pretty big difference too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It worked out well. It didn't feel tippy or top heavy and the quads never moved around one bit. Tailgate opened and closed fine with the quads up there since the Diamondback ATV Carrier company sent me their shim kit. Braking distanced increased a bit as expected. Transmission hunted frequently between 3rd and 4th at 60 to 65mph, but was much more stable at 70 mph and higher. Gas mileage decrease from the normal unloaded 14-15 mpg to 10.3 mpg. I can live with that. Muddy/flooded trails made for the BEST ATV ride I've ever had!! Great weekend!

Last edited by Cutlass; 06-10-2014 at 03:14 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

definitely took the sag out of it....looks pretty level in that last picture. Probably not comparable but I notice on my truck I get the best mileage right around 60mph.....just after it hits 6th in tow/haul. I'll let it hit 6th at 59 and keep it between 55-60 usually but will run it up to 70-75 if I'm wanting to make good time. The difference between the 2 is pretty substantial though.... half a mile to the gallon. May want to play with your mph some and see where it likes it at.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I put 50psi in the drivers side airbag and 30psi on the pass side. I just eye balled it. At that point I was tired of dinking around and just wanted to get going. Lol.
    I was in tow/haul mode. Not sure if I needed to be. I didn't like how it held the gear changes longer and downshifted frequently. I should have tried regular shift mode to compare.
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I put 50psi in the drivers side airbag and 30psi on the pass side. I just eye balled it. At that point I was tired of dinking around and just wanted to get going. Lol.
    I was in tow/haul mode. Not sure if I needed to be. I didn't like how it held the gear changes longer and downshifted frequently. I should have tried regular shift mode to compare.
    I think you'll find that you'll want to run both at different times. I do that on mine when I'm towing something other than the camper. I'm in T/H all the time with it. Holding the gear changes is nice on take offs but once up to speed on the highway I turn it off. I rarely ever tow anything other than the camper so I usually run with it on all the time. I used to turn it off with the camper when going down a hill because I absolutely hated the down gearing it did to maintain speed. It would have that diesel screaming....brakes are cheaper than engines. I wrote a turbo brake into the tune and ran with that last year and it made a pretty big difference. I'm thinking about going a little more aggressive on the turbo brake this year as soon as I determine it's ok on the turbo to go further with it. Right now it will maintain speed on less grades and just slow the rate of accel on steeper grades. I'd actually like to have it slowing the truck down almost.

Tow/Haul mode also increases the line pressures in the trans for snappier shifts and less slippage = less heat in the trans. I know this is true in the gas engine tunes. Probably a good idea to use it when running around town, and those higher shift points help to get those gas engine trucks moving when towing since they lack some grunt. Then maybe turn it off once on the highway or something.

I have a turbo brake tune in mine and absolutely love that tune for towing. Unfortunately for the turbo brake to work, you need rpms, so it's more effective when in Tow/Haul mode, and as the trans downshifts while slowing down, the turbo brake actually slows the truck accessively, to the point I barely even use the brake pedal. The turbo brake tune I have couple with Tow/Haul mode seems to keep the engine in the 2,000 rpm range when downshifting and works beautifully. I haven't experienced accessive rpm (YET) when going down the mountains since the turbo brake does a good job at keeping the truck around 65 mph down the steep grades, and I haven't had the need to hit the brakes hard. But I do think if I had to ride the brakes for an accessive amount, the computer will downshift and probably really rev the engine and make me cringe. Just haven't experienced that yet since the turbo brake keeps the truck at a pretty steady speed. Also while I'm in 5th gear towing at about 65-70 mph I'm already turning about 2,000 rpms anyway, so anytime I let off the gas the truck slows really well. I think you have that extra gear Orion in the newer Dmax, you are probably turning less rpm than I do and may not feel that turbo brake much in high gear. I plan to play with my cruise speed on the trip to Ohio while towing and see how it does on mileage. I'll PM you about some odd things I've found with MPG on this thing before I clog this thread up too much.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Towed this load 3 hours up north for a vacation.
    Truck is 2001 Silverado 1/2 ton 4x4 5.3l V8
    Boat is 1993 Rinker Captiva 206 20.5"
    I got 8.4 mpg towing 60% throttle most of the way. Trans rarely shifted to overdrive, it stayed in 3rd. Transmission temps were 185 to 195*F.
    I now have an onboard compressor and in-cab controls/PSI gauge for the rear airbags. Ran them at 70 psi.
    Worth every penny for a wonderful vacation!!
    imageuploadedbytapatalk1440446729.591357.jpg

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

imageuploadedbytapatalk1440446988.534699.jpg

Towed this load 3 hours up north for a vacation.
    Truck is 2001 Silverado 1/2 ton 4x4 5.3l V8
    Boat is 1993 Rinker Captiva 206 20.5"
    I got 8.4 mpg towing 60% throttle most of the way. Trans rarely shifted to overdrive, it stayed in 3rd. Transmission temps were 185 to 195*F.
    I now have an onboard compressor an in-cab controls/psi gauge for the rear load leveler airbags. Ran those at 70psi.
    Worth every penny for a wonderful vacation!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Drove a new Tahoe today....damn it was nice.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's pretty dismal mpg's. How fast were you going? I've never been to wisconsin but picture it being pretty flat for the most part?? I mean at the end of the day it is what it is and that's actually a ton of weight for that truck with a nice wind brake sticking above the cab but I'd maybe play with your mph's some to see if you can't squeeze another couple mpg's out of it. Get it up to where OD will kick in and see how hard it is to maintain it there.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Going about 65 mph. Sometimes 60 and as high as 75. I felt most comfortable at about 60 to 65 just based on how the engine sounded (rpm and load related noise) and also based on stopping distance. I didn't feel like I was hammering on too bad and was surprised to see 60% throttle on the scan tool I was using to monitor Trans temp and throttle angle.
    Honestly I wasn't to worried about the mpg. I just wanted to get the job done and keep an eye on the Trans temp. The Trans temp actually crept up more in OD and came back down in 3rd. This Trans runs cooler in 3rd apparently.
    Makes sense I guess. Everything is rotating 1:1 and there is no friction heat created from the planetary gears like there is in OD.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It was fairly flat. Small up and down hills. Gradual Elevation changes of 200 to maybe 500 feet max in this part of the state.

Navy Blue Metallic

I'm with Orion that mpg seems low. When I was towing my car to the tuning shop (2hr drive) I was getting 17mpg on the interstate in my Durango. I was thinking no way is it accurate but the gas tank tells me it was true.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I get 14-15 mpg unloaded driving to work everyday. It's mostly highway.
    Loaded down with those three things plus the whole family and the bed full of vacation supplies and junk...I'm not too surprised in the mpg. Before I did the math I was guessing 9-10mpg so I wasn't too far off.

Navy Blue Metallic

Cutlass is it 5.3L with 4L60E?

It seems my Durango was set up. It has the 5.7, bigger transmission with trans cooler, 9.25" Rear, hitch receiver and e brake hook ups. What's funny is I can't see the original owner doing much towing. It was in exceptional shape and low on miles when I got it last November.

So far the only thing I hate on it is the air intake and exhaust. With the air it looks restrictive as hell, with the exhaust it's too quiet. Since it's the wife's car technically I can't put any Magnaflow mufflers.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

See those trucks

Yep. 5.3 V8, 4L60e, 3.73 gears, 4wd

What year Durango?

Navy Blue Metallic

2006. The big boy...

545RFE Transmission and I believe it has the MDS (to be honest concerns me in that if it goes bad means more $$ to fix over a regular HEMI 5.7)
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 08-26-2015 at 12:08 PM.

red
    95 Z28

That's not good mileage for a 5.3 truck, loaded and unloaded. Unloaded on the highway commuting should be 17-18 or better in some cases.
    this post is meant as a joke and in no way should it be interpreted as a serious or meaningful reply. The author of this post cannot be held liable for any damages, both emotional and physical, that may be incurred from the reading of this post. By acknowledging this disclaimer you hereby release the author from any and all liability

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

See those trucks

Maybe 2wd or 3.42/3.23 gears. No way with 3.73.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 218192021222324 LastLast

Thread Information