Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

See those trucks

This is a discussion on See those trucks within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; That was tempting, especially for those tailgaters. I went with several different street tunes that go up to roughly 90hp-150 ...

That was tempting, especially for those tailgaters.

I went with several different street tunes that go up to roughly 90hp-150 ft lbs additional, with a tow tune thrown in.

Been a while since I've had a turbo car (or truck, the last was a typhoon) They make power so easy, just turn up the wick and they haul butt Wife loves it too so that's a plus. Comfy compared to what I'm used to driving.

red
    95 Z28

Nice looking truck fbj. What year? That's the same color my Dad's 04 Dmax truck is. Sandstone metallic I think?

I've been trying to talk him into some mods at some point. It's an LLY, so he needs that turbo mouthpiece first.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Nice looking truck fbj. What year? That's the same color my Dad's 04 Dmax truck is. Sandstone metallic I think?

I've been trying to talk him into some mods at some point. It's an LLY, so he needs that turbo mouthpiece first.
    That's cool. Thanks. Yep same color. Seems popular out here in the desert, hard to find darker colors in these parts with 90% of them being white, so I went with sandstone.

It's an 05 with the same LLY. I did the turbo mouthpiece on mine as part of the other mods since I'm told that's a major restriction. Boy what a difference. I removed the cat, installed a 4" exhaust system with a muffler, blocked the EGR, then the tunes. That's really all it needs at this point to make it scoot pretty good. I'd bet if your father rode in one that was even mildly modded he'd be easier to talk into some mods.
    I'll be honest, when it was stock I wasn't too impressed, the turbo was slow to spool, so pulling the trailer felt down on power every time I left a light for at least the first 30 feet. Night and day difference with a few simple mods though, and picked up a couple mpg to boot. I'm even more impressed with how quiet these diesels run now. They used to sound like a can of marbles. This thing is quieter than any car I have here Just has a distinctive turbo whistle that became more pronounced with the intake and exhaust mods, but nothing obnoxious.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Very nice truck FBJ! I'm in the market for a Dmax, Looking for a 04' to 06' but I'm picky and it needs to be what I want. So I'm just waiting on the right one to come up and not jumping on the first one I see.

Understandable. I looked around for close to 6 months. It didn't help that there didn't seem to be a large concentration in my area to pick from. So I went outside the state to get what I wanted. When you're picky it's tough. I wanted certain options, including seperate climate control and cloth interior. Those 2 apparently are hard to find together and it became a mission. Almost all of the seperate climate control trucks had leather interior with the LT package. Then to top it off, I wanted low miles. It was a needle in a hay stack.

Goodluck on your search, when you find one you'll be glad you bought it. It's a great package.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I also want the dual climate control, but mine has to have the gray or black leather seats. My 04 Tahoe Z71 that I have now has the tan leather and its a pain to keep clean and honestly I don't really like the looks of it. I'm not to picky on miles, as long as its under 140K.

Quote Originally Posted by cpop98ws6 View Post
    I also want the dual climate control, but mine has to have the gray or black leather seats. My 04 Tahoe Z71 that I have now has the tan leather and its a pain to keep clean and honestly I don't really like the looks of it. I'm not to picky on miles, as long as its under 140K.
    Leather and dual climate is a pretty easy combo to find, all the LT packages I looked at pretty much came that way. Tan leather seemed to be more prevelant though. I saw very few with grey/black. Not too hard to find under 140k miles depending on the price range. I wanted under 100k, dual climate, and cloth. I just about gave up I found this one with 88k on it and snatched it. Still needed alot of front suspension work though, ball joints, tie rods etc...even with the miles low. Nice and tight now

1967 Chevy Chevelle
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha

That is going to be one of my next rides I buy and I already am planning on a long travel kit and 37's.
    There are some things you just can't test in a white lab coat.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEVELLE of JONESY View Post
    That is going to be one of my next rides I buy and I already am planning on a long travel kit and 37's.
    Wow that's pretty extreme. I did a simple key change on the front torsion bars to raise it a couple inches when I had the front end parts installed, then put 33's on it. That's the extent of it for me. I have no plans to off road it around here, damn thing is too expensive to tear it up I have a sandrail for that.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's cool. Thanks. Yep same color. Seems popular out here in the desert, hard to find darker colors in these parts with 90% of them being white, so I went with sandstone.

It's an 05 with the same LLY. I did the turbo mouthpiece on mine as part of the other mods since I'm told that's a major restriction. Boy what a difference. I removed the cat, installed a 4" exhaust system with a muffler, blocked the EGR, then the tunes. That's really all it needs at this point to make it scoot pretty good. I'd bet if your father rode in one that was even mildly modded he'd be easier to talk into some mods.
    I'll be honest, when it was stock I wasn't too impressed, the turbo was slow to spool, so pulling the trailer felt down on power every time I left a light for at least the first 30 feet. Night and day difference with a few simple mods though, and picked up a couple mpg to boot. I'm even more impressed with how quiet these diesels run now. They used to sound like a can of marbles. This thing is quieter than any car I have here Just has a distinctive turbo whistle that became more pronounced with the intake and exhaust mods, but nothing obnoxious.
    Which inlet did you end up going with? Aftermarket or LBZ factory and hacking your intake tube to match? And I notice a lot of guys like to get rid of the EGR, although I'm not sure what huge gains they're getting from it.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by cpop98ws6 View Post
    Very nice truck FBJ! I'm in the market for a Dmax, Looking for a 04' to 06' but I'm picky and it needs to be what I want. So I'm just waiting on the right one to come up and not jumping on the first one I see.
    Get an '06-'07

The '05-present have the 6-speed and the LBZ ('06-'07) is the best DMax you can get (no injector problems and no DPF).

Which inlet did you end up going with? Aftermarket or LBZ factory and hacking your intake tube to match? And I notice a lot of guys like to get rid of the EGR, although I'm not sure what huge gains they're getting from it.
    I had planned to go with the factory LBZ setup as it's cost effective and works. Oddly enough the places I called were on back order, no one had it when I was doing all this stuff. When I talked to Rob at ATP trucks (who did the tuning) He suggested I go with the aftermarket AFE (or APE??) aluminum elbow that they sell. It's pricey compared to the oem setup but I didn't want to wait on back orders as I was doing all these mods at one time, so I went with it. Nice piece, excellent fitment and twice the size of the original LLY elbow. It works with the stock air intake too. He then suggested some simple mods on the stock air intake setup that works, (converts it to a cold air intake with more flow) and that's all I would need. Saved me $3-$400 on buying a cold air intake setup as he said it wasn't necessary, just that elbow is the big concern. Nice guy to deal with.

He suggested blocking the EGR. Had something to do with the hot gases recirculating and it affected the boost or would cause lower boost conditions. I didn't quite understand it myself but the plate was only $17 and it takes 10 minutes to put it in so I didn't question it and went with it. He was doing the tuning anyway so it made sense to have him delete the codes while he was in there and just install the plate.

All just very simple mods, that coupled with an exhaust system and the tune really wakes these trucks up. It went from lackluster and somewhat disappointed to WOW this things a whole lot of fun now

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Get an '06-'07

The '05-present have the 6-speed and the LBZ ('06-'07) is the best DMax you can get (no injector problems and no DPF).
    Actually, after talking to Rob, the LLY is basically a LBZ. The only real difference is that GM got more aggressive with the tuning on the LBZ because the new 6 speed trans would hold more power. They also improved the air intake setup on the LBZ. Otherwise it's really the same engine. Once you tune it, and change the turbo inlet elbow, Your LLY is set. Only minor drawback is the tuning is held back slightly because of the weaker 5 speed allison in the LLY, but it still makes stupid power for a big ass truck.

The injector issues were back when the Dmax first came out in 2001 (the LB7 models) and those issues were addressed when the new LLY came out in 2004.5 (also easier to access the injectors as they are now on top of the cylinder heads rather than burried underneath)

The DPF stuff came out after 2007 when the LBZ went away and became the LMM I believe. I hear alot of complaints of that system as it's wastefull.

I was actually looking for an 06-07 for the LBZ on my search because I liked the idea of the extra gear added to the allison with slightly more overdrive, but the prices jump ridiculously for a truck that is 1-2 years newer and I couldn't see adding several thousand dollars for basically the same truck. Once you mod the LLY (and I planned to mod before I even had one) you have basically the same truck.

Either way you go, I think you would be pleased with the Dmax. Even the first generation LB7 with it's injector issues is still a very popular truck, and favored by many because they didn't put all the emmissions crap on those trucks, and are said to get the best mileage out of all the Dmax versions. My Neighbor has an 02 LB7 he bought new, I'd own that truck in a heart beat. Of course removing all the emmissions on the later trucks is a piece of cake too

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

LB7, you gotta worry about the injectors every 100,000 miles
    LLY, you gotta worry about overheating and head gaskets
    LBZ, pretty reliable. Might crack a piston with higher output tunes

1967 Chevy Chevelle
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha

Wow that's pretty extreme. I did a simple key change on the front torsion bars to raise it a couple inches when I had the front end parts installed, then put 33's on it. That's the extent of it for me. I have no plans to off road it around here, damn thing is too expensive to tear it up I have a sandrail for that.
    I have never been in a rail, looks like a blast though. There are a couple of Youtube videos of Robby Gordon in his LS powered rail in the dune doing some crazy stuff; good stuff.

red
    95 Z28

I had planned to go with the factory LBZ setup as it's cost effective and works. Oddly enough the places I called were on back order, no one had it when I was doing all this stuff. When I talked to Rob at ATP trucks (who did the tuning) He suggested I go with the aftermarket AFE (or APE??) aluminum elbow that they sell. It's pricey compared to the oem setup but I didn't want to wait on back orders as I was doing all these mods at one time, so I went with it. Nice piece, excellent fitment and twice the size of the original LLY elbow. It works with the stock air intake too. He then suggested some simple mods on the stock air intake setup that works, (converts it to a cold air intake with more flow) and that's all I would need. Saved me $3-$400 on buying a cold air intake setup as he said it wasn't necessary, just that elbow is the big concern. Nice guy to deal with.

He suggested blocking the EGR. Had something to do with the hot gases recirculating and it affected the boost or would cause lower boost conditions. I didn't quite understand it myself but the plate was only $17 and it takes 10 minutes to put it in so I didn't question it and went with it. He was doing the tuning anyway so it made sense to have him delete the codes while he was in there and just install the plate.

All just very simple mods, that coupled with an exhaust system and the tune really wakes these trucks up. It went from lackluster and somewhat disappointed to WOW this things a whole lot of fun now
    What did he suggest you do to the stock air intake box? I know that it's an issue with the LLYs. Where the opening is over by the fender and it sucks in nice hot air, the foil being in front of it to cover the hole in the fender, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    LB7, you gotta worry about the injectors every 100,000 miles
    LLY, you gotta worry about overheating and head gaskets
    LBZ, pretty reliable. Might crack a piston with higher output tunes
    The overheating on the LLY is solved by the updated turbo inlet tube, which is what GM did with the LBZ so it wouldn't have the same problem. Very simple fix really, took a whole 20 minutes to install.

Head gaskets? I've heard all of them could have a head gasket problem which I'm told in those cases has been crappy tunes as the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEVELLE of JONESY View Post
    I have never been in a rail, looks like a blast though. There are a couple of Youtube videos of Robby Gordon in his LS powered rail in the dune doing some crazy stuff; good stuff.
    I go old school with a VW powered rail (air cooled and extremely simple). One of the best ways to trail ride in my opinion. These things ride extremely nice in rough terrain so you can scoot along at a pretty good clip. Unlike the 4x4's trucks and jeeps we've used in the past where you have to creep along or they beat you to death. The rail literally cuts our drive time in half, at only 900 lbs. it skips over the top of the rough stuff, and it's tough as nails. It's a blast for sure.

What did he suggest you do to the stock air intake box? I know that it's an issue with the LLYs. Where the opening is over by the fender and it sucks in nice hot air, the foil being in front of it to cover the hole in the fender, etc.
    Yep, and that's part of the overheating problem that Cutlass mentioned. Usually rears it's ugly head when pulling a heavy load up hill (which is about everywhere in AZ )
    The restrictive turbo inlet is 70% of the problem, causing heat build up I'm told. Then remove the foil on the inner fender like you mentioned. From there you can do several things depending on how comfortable you are with it, including opening the inner fender after the foil is removed. You can also open up the side of the air box that faces the headlight which is very easy.
    If you feel adventurous you can remove the lower metal plate that the airbox attaches to, and open the area towards the front that faces down in front of the inner fender to grab the air forced up through the bottom, and then open the bottom of the air box to match that. Same thing the aftermarket air boxes do and some even run a tube down through that area to grab the air and force it up.
    After that's all done they recommend you enclose the box with foam to seal off the hot underhood air from the box.

I did some of these air box mods but I didn't go extreme. Just hated to spend $400 on an air intake setup that's basically a bunch of plastic. Then when I was told the aftermarket stuff doesn't provide alot of gain I figured I'd give modifying the stock setup a try.
    Another cheap alternative is to adapt the LBZ air intake setup if you can find it. However I believe it requires a retune because I think it relocates the MAF.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-15-2013 at 06:30 AM.

red
    95 Z28

It doesn't relocate the MAF, it just puts the sensor in a different diameter inlet tube, so you have to recalibrate the MAF to compensate for that larger tube.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread Information