Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

No Hummers Allowed?

This is a discussion on No Hummers Allowed? within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by konigandy6 H2's got the LQ4 Vortec 6000 out of a 3/4 ton. Now that's more like it. ...

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    H2's got the LQ4 Vortec 6000 out of a 3/4 ton.
    Now that's more like it. I thought it was something like that. I guess they decided to drop down to the 5.3 on the H3's.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Just looking at your pics, those tires appear to be pretty smooth,,,almost "car like". Hard to believe they would be that noisy. Maybe they are cupped or chaffed from not being rotated properly?
    I always run either Goodyear MTR's which is a very aggressive looking tire, and runs fairly quiet "IF" I keep them rotated. For off road it's an awsome tire that is very puncture resistant, I see them quite often on military spec H1's. Comes factory on the last generation of Rubicons too.
    Currently I'm running BFG All Terrains. They run a tad quieter, smoother, nice highway tire. They are "OKAY" for off road but in slippery conditions they just aren't as good as the MTR's I've used.
    Trying to find a happy medium for both uses is tough.
    Shhh! Don't mention Goodyears...he hates those!!

I like the BFG A/T's too, I almost got a set for my ZJ, but went with GY Duratracs instead. I saw a Honda Element with a set of BFG AT's on it yesterday...white letters out...I gotta say it looked good! Those are a great looking tire, they really improve the look of a vehicle.

Good call about the tires being possibly cupped, I agree they look too mild to be noisy. Maybe the pressure is low as well?

You're right about the V8, they made a "Alpha" version that came with the 5.3L. IIRC from magazine tests, it got almost the same mileage as the 3.9. The Alpha package brought the price north of 40k IIRC.

Great vehicle though, if I were too look for a newer SUV, I'd probably go H3. I agree about the JK's, too big/underpowered. And long live the 4.0!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    The third gens were a better car IMHO.. Dare I say better handling as well
    I agree!

My 88GTA was slower, but I'm willing to bet it handled a whole lot better, and there are certain design features on it that I miss as compared to the 4th gen.

I have a back issue of Motor Trend from '82, and they called the 3rd gen F-Body the best handling car in America when it came out. Apparently they were a huge deal at the time.

I saw pics online somewhere of a '92 GTA with a LS1/T56 and 4th gen Bird interior...talk about a perfect car!

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I agree!

My 88GTA was slower, but I'm willing to bet it handled a whole lot better, and there are certain design features on it that I miss as compared to the 4th gen.

I have a back issue of Motor Trend from '82, and they called the 3rd gen F-Body the best handling car in America when it came out. Apparently they were a huge deal at the time.

I saw pics online somewhere of a '92 GTA with a LS1/T56 and 4th gen Bird interior...talk about a perfect car!
    I agree, I absolutely loved my 88 Iroc L98. Best handling car, still roomy but gave you that small car feel that was very nimble. No air bags, no ABS brakes, very simplistic to work on and everything very easy to get at.
    I actually didn't mind the tuned port 350 either, I don't necessarily have to have an LS engine in it. Mine ran great with just headers and a catback, still running 2.77 gears and it always ran 13.90's at 100 mph. It was peppy enough to be fun and squirt around town.

I like the BFG A/T's too, I almost got a set for my ZJ, but went with GY Duratracs instead. I saw a Honda Element with a set of BFG AT's on it yesterday...white letters out...I gotta say it looked good! Those are a great looking tire, they really improve the look of a vehicle.

Good call about the tires being possibly cupped, I agree they look too mild to be noisy. Maybe the pressure is low as well?

You're right about the V8, they made a "Alpha" version that came with the 5.3L. IIRC from magazine tests, it got almost the same mileage as the 3.9. The Alpha package brought the price north of 40k IIRC.

Great vehicle though, if I were too look for a newer SUV, I'd probably go H3. I agree about the JK's, too big/underpowered. And long live the 4.0!!

Ya I like the goodyears, but you pay a little more for them. The MTR's are hard to beat off road.
    I run the BFG AT's right now, and it's the 4th set I've had. Great tire, they look nice on any 4x4 and ride pretty good on the street. They make a 4x4 look like a 4x4 without getting too agressive, and they are quiet. They just don't perform as well off road or in the snow like the MTR's did for me. The All Terrains tend to slip and slide around. I also liked the puncture resistant technoligy in the MTR's, great for driving through creeks where there are alot of very sharp rocks.

I've been contemplating another set of wheels with MTR's just to switch over to for those off road mountain adventures we like to do. Then leave the All terrains on for all the pavement driving.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Hey the 3.9 is the colorado 4cyl, the 3.7 or vortec vvt 3700 is a 5cyl dang it!..

I run 35 psi if it falls below 30 (which they did once right after we got it after sitting over a cold night), the low tire presure light comes on..

26k for the base "Alpha" or mildly optioned I5 and on up for both depending on packages.. Hummer offered a good handfull of different packages.. The H3T was an after thought.. The guys @ Hummer were working on some "new age" Hummer that imho would have caused Hummers demise anyways.. The design was horrid.. "Think", crossover hatchback twice as wide and on a lift kit.. Shutting down Hummer actually saved it IMHO..

The 08 I5 seems to be the only Hummer VVT dohc I5 to have over 240 horse.
    Looks like the 09's were rated less in the 230's.. 240+ N/A is a big jump for a small engine that previously was only making 200~220 N/A.. imho

I agree an I5 is pushing it, but I grew up with the old 85hp crank 2bbl "Iron Duke" 5cyl is as small as I'll go.. Being a VVT DOHC means it's up my alley too..

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    H2's got the LQ4 Vortec 6000 out of a 3/4 ton.
    And later on they got the 6.2 liter Escalade/Denali V8 and 6 speed auto. They should have made a diesel H2 IMHO...

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    And later on they got the 6.2 liter Escalade/Denali V8 and 6 speed auto. They should have made a diesel H2 IMHO...
    They should make Duramax Burbs and Avalanches!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I agree, I absolutely loved my 88 Iroc L98. Best handling car, still roomy but gave you that small car feel that was very nimble. No air bags, no ABS brakes, very simplistic to work on and everything very easy to get at.
    I actually didn't mind the tuned port 350 either, I don't necessarily have to have an LS engine in it. Mine ran great with just headers and a catback, still running 2.77 gears and it always ran 13.90's at 100 mph. It was peppy enough to be fun and squirt around town.
    Yeah, my GTA was a L98 car too. Not as fast as yours though,with a catback and a few of the TPIS handbook free mods I was running 14.90's.

And it WAS fast around town...and a burnout king. That TPI low end was a beast! First time I drove a LS1 car was when I was thinking of trading the GTA for one...it was a Formula I drove, an A4, prob 2.73 car.....I thought it was slow compared to the GTA. Once you got it over 4k it was faster, but normal driving it felt slow (as I feel my current Formula is).

I miss that low end...the LS1 is gutless in comparrison.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Hey the 3.9 is the colorado 4cyl, the 3.7 or vortec vvt 3700 is a 5cyl dang it!..

The 08 I5 seems to be the only Hummer VVT dohc I5 to have over 240 horse.
    Looks like the 09's were rated less in the 230's.. 240+ N/A is a big jump for a small engine that previously was only making 200~220 N/A.. imho

I agree an I5 is pushing it, but I grew up with the old 85hp crank 2bbl "Iron Duke" 5cyl is as small as I'll go.. Being a VVT DOHC means it's up my alley too..
    That power seems respectable...my 4.0 straight 6 is putting out 190hp/235tq...no rocketship, but it gets the job done. I have to plan my merging on the highway in advance, but it's great around town. I'm sure the 3.7 is the same.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

yeah definetly not setting any land speed records..lol

But the gearing seems good cuz she scoots petty good getting out of the hole. It's more @ home doing 65-70 than 55 but it cuises @ 55 well.

It turns into a tank in low range I would'nt think twice about pulling out a tree stump with it if I had to.. lol

But that takes away from it's luxury aspect. The thing is like a space ship inside with the windows up.. Last think I want is for it to turn into a rattle bucket inside from being twisted and contorted climbing over stuff..

I swear it's like rolling in a big Caddy. Drives with finger tips, and the power seat design make it like sitting in an easy chair going down the road.. Most comfortable "truck" I have ever road in. More pleasing is it's willingness in town.. The 01 Camaro was sluggish around town in comparison, I also can "hop out" rather than "climb out" like in the 01.. One of the other nice things was I did'nt have to purchase a "truck" plate.. Being considered a stationwagon ment a simple vehicle change on the insurrance too..

Litterally, the Hummer is everything we wanted.. The term, "like no other" really does apply to the purchase for us.. We are picky folk, lol, none of the
    other manufactures had litterally everthing we wanted.. Always something missing or that would have to be lived without. We have a loaded 05 Equasux too and can say compared to the Hummer the Equasux is not even on the same latitude. The front end is a total joke and @ ~85k it sounds like the front end is going to fall off. The thing has never been "off roading" persay either. Just snow covered level dirt roads and it's a total joke. Strong v6 in it and it would walk the Hummer no prob.. But @ about 70 you'll be letting the Hummer go by because it will be a handfull keeping the Equasux on the road..
    Rattles inside and out like bolts rolling around in a tin can, (I shit you not) total garbage..
    Everything in the hummer is strait forward and user friendly.
    Large controls and a wide flat control face that's not all cluttered with Hyrogliphic symbols.. Everything is large and clearly marked. Even has spots built in for after market switches and controls. Locking storage cabnets, and power ports in the rear.. Sideways opening rear door with opening asistant. You simply open the door and after you get to about and inch or two gap the asisant cylinder takes over and opens the heavy door for you. Even the jack and tools are wrapped in noise deadening material and clamped into place inside the rear door out of sight and out of the way. There's even a Microphone build into the headliner..haha
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-16-2011 at 05:19 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yeah definetly not setting any land speed records..lol

But the gearing seems good cuz she scoots petty good getting out of the hole. It's more @ home doing 65-70 than 55 but it cuises @ 55 well.

It turns into a tank in low range I would'nt think twice about pulling out a tree stump with it if I had to.. lol
    4.56 axle ratios for the 5 cylinder and a low range t/case 4:1 ratio for some SERIOUS rock crawling....if you were worried about scratching/denting the paint and body

4.56 axle ratios for the 5 cylinder and a low range t/case 4:1 ratio for some SERIOUS rock crawling....if you were worried about scratching/denting the paint and body
    That's where our 05 rubicon shined. Factory 4.10 gears and a 4:1 transfer case and the torque of the 4.0 straight six was awesome over rough stuff. It was really more than I ever needed, overkill actually. Hit the air lockers front and back and there seemed no stopping it.

That power seems respectable...my 4.0 straight 6 is putting out 190hp/235tq...no rocketship, but it gets the job done.
    It wasn't bad with ours, being a rubi with 4.10's, it would squirt around town decent, 0-60 was okay, after that it ran out of steam. Still decent mileage out of it though, squeaked 20 out of it on a highway trip but normally got 18. Around town it got about 14-15.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

It wasn't bad with ours, being a rubi with 4.10's, it would squirt around town decent, 0-60 was okay, after that it ran out of steam. Still decent mileage out of it though, squeaked 20 out of it on a highway trip but normally got 18. Around town it got about 14-15.
    Yeah, the thing is torquey around town. I have 3.73's in mine, and am running 31's. It's a decent combo, especially since I got rid of the steel wheels and switched back to alloys.

No word of a lie, driving normally, the thing feels faster off the line than my LS1. Only till about ten mph though. I'd like to see a dyno chart, I bet the 4.0 makes more torque off idle than the LS1. It seems to have better throttle response, and just revs faster.

And offroad the 4.0 is great, even with the regular 2.72 low range. Unless I'm doing mud or snow, I always pop it into low range offroad, and the only time I've lacked power was in deep sand. My buddy with a identical 5.2L ZJ made it up a dune I just couldn't make once messing aorund in sand.

In my normal commute I've averaged 16.0 over the past 3k miles. It'll touch 20 on the highway, if it's flat and I'm running aorund 60mph.

And that H3 sounds geat.

It seems like such a contradiction though...obviously with the lockers and low range it's designed to be offroaded, and depite the IFS, they ARE quite capable. But hearing how great it rides and how quit it is, it sounds like a good luxo cruiser.

Best of both worlds!

If I got one I prob wouldn't wheel it much, there's just not many places to go (and who wants to scratch up a 20k vehicle?). I'd def put some agressive AT tires on it though, and damn the noise! LOL IMO an offroad vehicle needs offroad tires.

I used to like my Cooper muds...they were pretty quiet as far as mud tires, but under ten mph and coasting to a stop they had this vibration from the tread that made it feel like I was running a lumpy cam. I thought it was cool, haha.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

My younger brother has a colorado and he works construction for a living. He got it brand new in 07. The interior is shot simply from dirty/muddy boots. Can't sit in it without getting filthy. But the floor is ruined forever. Even when he cleans it dried mud and so forth will start comming out of the trim cracks again. It's a basic interior and it's shot. I could'nt imagine taking the hummer 4 wheelin' then jumping into my plush interior covered in mud. I already had a car with electrical gremlins. Start jumping, and slamming puddles, rocks, downed trees, and getting the interior soaked and muddy will likely turn it into a heap and an electrical nightmare.. Also I payed top dollar for the extensive warranty coverage, last thing I need is to void it.. Warranty co's tend to get shady if they think the vehicle has or is being "abused".. As it sits, if the engine pops, or the trany shits the bed or whatever else goes wrong it will only cost me a $100.00 dollar dedictable. Much better than $3k+ for a new VVT I5 engine alone, or trany,and so on..

Like said, the only things not covered are reutine items, like wipers, lamps, tires, and fluids. Other than that, every inch of it is covered otherwise.. Unlike the Camaro where the warranty was way past done and it was starting to nickle and dime me with the high mileage it had. Also the Camaro had many repairs prior to 30k on the clock when we bought it on it's car fax. The Hummage had a totally clean repair record. Only issue is a recall on my hood loover. 5 star build quality as opposed to the 1 star for the Camaro..

The Camaro on the other hand, by 20k I found out that the driver door had been through 2 power window reg's, an alt, differential trouble, trany trouble, and more, all before it even hit 30k which was around what it had on it when we got her.. After that it was a constant repair pig. We put it in under warranty for a 3rd alt, ps pump, belt, 2nd time for a noisey rear, trany slippage and a reprogrammig. Hell I have threads I started here for help too. Electrical gremlins that could'nt be corrected. Just got tired of chasing "stock" issues and I don't have the time for the hastle. My warranty covers a rental, and so does my insurrance on the hummers policy. A rental was'nt even an option for the Camaro. We did get a courtesy Mustang once for the camaro. But that was because the sombich did'nt even make it one week from purchase before needing a PS pump..FTMFL!
    Factory monsoon was garbage after a year, speakers shitting the bed all the time, only half of the back lighting worked after 2 years. Cat died ~80k, coils died, coolant issues. Jebus!,, I can literally go on and on with the cheapness of the entire car.. Even with all it's issues I loved and took meticulas care of her. And yes, I do miss her. But her time had come. She is now for sale @ the dealer I traded her. $5300, and some change. Someone will come along and she will make someone else happy for a while. Well @ least till they start feeding her.. 12-13 mpg's hwy..

It was time for something more...
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-18-2011 at 08:14 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

If I got one I prob wouldn't wheel it much, there's just not many places to go (and who wants to scratch up a 20k vehicle?). I'd def put some agressive AT tires on it though, and damn the noise! LOL IMO an offroad vehicle needs offroad tires.
    There was a couple different packages available for the H3 including an off road package that had bigger, more offroad capable tires.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

There was a couple different packages available for the H3 including an off road package that had bigger, more offroad capable tires.
    I think the wheels were also bigger on those models with specific packages as well.

I have the 16x7.5's which is funny because that's what my '92 Z34 had factory but in a 5-lug big spread..lol

Wonder what the z34 would look like with 33's on it..

My younger brother has a colorado and he works construction for a living. He got it brand new in 07. The interior is shot simply from dirty/muddy boots. Can't sit in it without getting filthy. But the floor is ruined forever. Even when he cleans it dried mud and so forth will start comming out of the trim cracks again. It's a basic interior and it's shot. I could'nt imagine taking the hummer 4 wheelin' then jumping into my plush interior covered in mud
    That's one reason why we don't off road in the mud. If it's wet, we stay home, simple. We are more of a recreational off road family, we just simply like to get away from people and enjoy the scenery up in the mountains, old ghost towns, mining towns, abandoned mine shafts, metal detecting, etc....
    I don't do it to find the limits of our vehicle, nor do I care to spend $20 at a car wash trying to get all the mud out from underneath. That crap gets trapped in places you simply cant get a power washer at. No thanks.
    Frankly, I just don't want to have to clean it. It gets dusty enough as it is while off roading if you can imagine how dusty it is in AZ.

They definately need all the tire and ground clearance they can get, having that longer wheel base than what's typically desired in an off road package.
    Long wheel bases and off road don't mix that well when obstacles get challenging. Even though they have shrunk the H2 and H3 down from it's former glory, it's still really too big for an ultimate off road package.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information