Thread: New tires

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

New tires

The tires on my wifes Suburban are getting pretty worn. She is about to start a job out of town so I think I will go ahead and get some new ones. Any one have any good ideas or know of any deals?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I always check out tirerack dot com. Discount tire will match their prices. As far as tires,i always put Yokohama geolanders on my work trucks. Love em.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

discounttiredirect.com

Free shipping and usually has instant savings on select tires. Zapper2003 recommended them and I just bought tires for the CTS4.

red
    95 Z28

Michelin by far makes the best light truck tires. And by association BFGoodrich. Bridgestone also makes excellent tires

I'll second Michelin. Only tire I prefer to use if I can find it in the size I want. If not I've used BFG, Firestone, and Goodyear all with good results.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Thanks for the advice guys.

Most of my tires in the past have come from discount tire or treadepot. Just not sure what tires are holding up the best and handle rain well. Don't have to worry about snow much.

As far as holding up, Michelin has one of the better mileage packages out there. You pay a little more but you get a 70k mile tire vs. a 40k mile tire that might be $30 cheaper. When you look at it that way the Michelin's will save you money in the long run if you plan to keep the truck.
    They also are some of the best riding, quietest tires I've had. I mount and balance my own and can also say they are the easiest to balance taking very little weight, even the big 33's I run on my truck only took about an ounce to balance.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I love my Michelin tires also. I think I have the LTX A/T2 (they are on my winter wheels...in storage). They look and perform great. And FBJ is correct, Michelin tires consistently balance out much nicer then other tires. Very good quality control there.
    I'll also second the Geolanders mentioned above. My buddy has had those for a few years and we really like them so far

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I love my Michelin tires also. I think I have the LTX A/T2 (they are on my winter wheels...in storage). They look and perform great. And FBJ is correct, Michelin tires consistently balance out much nicer then other tires. Very good quality control there.
    I'll also second the Geolanders mentioned above. My buddy has had those for a few years and we really like them so far
    Same ones I'm running on my truck.

red
    95 Z28

That tire specifically is the best light truck tire money can buy. I've heard sooo many people in the tire business say the same thing.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

I have a set of the nitto Terra grappler witch is basically a all terrain in a Lt tire and really liking them you can find them on eBay sometimes at a good deal.
    2002 WS6 TA VERT M6 HOOKER SUPER COMPS ORY AND CAT BACK TUNE DONE BY CHARLES AT GREAD TUNNING!!

2007 Z71 EXTENDED CAB PROGRAMMER COLD AIR
    TRUE DUALS

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

OP, what size tire are u looking for?

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

265/70 r16

Don't need an A/T tire. Only street use and little to no snow.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You don't *need* an A/T tire...unless you want the cool look of an A/T tire.
    I've used Bridgestone Alenza Dueler H/L on several full sized SUVs/Trucks and they are a pretty nice tire. Alot of guys with Tahoes/Suburbans with the factory 20s use these tires along with Escalades with 22s. But I've also installed them in the same 265/70R16 size you're using. So I'd consider recommending that.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 10-23-2013 at 03:58 AM.

The Michelin A/T's that we mentioned really don't even look like an all terrain tire. They are very mild in appearance and if it wasn't for the A/T designation on the sidewall I'd consider it a regular looking tire. They are only slightly different in design than their other "E" load range truck tires. In fact they are so mild looking I would even question their ability in the snow or loose dirt conditions. Apparently though, they get rave reviews in all conditions.

I too wasn't looking for a rough looking A/T tire for my Dmax, as it will never really see intentional off road use. I just like the idea of an A/T tire on a 4x4.

red
    95 Z28

You don't *need* an A/T tire...unless you want the cool look of an A/T tire.
    I've used Bridgestone Alenza Dueler H/L on several full sized SUVs/Trucks and they are a pretty nice tire. Alot of guys with Tahoes/Suburbans with the factory 20s use these tires along with Escalades with 22s. But I've also installed them in the same 265/70R16 size you're using. So I'd consider recommending that.

I have those on my truck right now, and they work just fine for road use. They're quiet and ride fine. They haven't seen snow yet, so not sure there, but I think they'll be ok there as well.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The Michelin A/T's that we mentioned really don't even look like an all terrain tire. They are very mild in appearance and if it wasn't for the A/T designation on the sidewall I'd consider it a regular looking tire.
    Very true, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I have those on my truck right now, and they work just fine for road use. They're quiet and ride fine. They haven't seen snow yet, so not sure there, but I think they'll be ok there as well.
    I also run those tires on my "3 seasons" wheels. My only complaint about the Alenza Dueler H/L is the edge of the tread. Brand new the edge tread depth is already considerable less then the center tread depth. As the tires wear the edge starts to look very worn out before the rest of the tire. Its even worse for mine because I take a lot of long, sweeping, curvey on/off ramps at higher speeds for my daily commute. It just wears out the edges fast.

red
    95 Z28

Very true, indeed.

I also run those tires on my "3 seasons" wheels. My only complaint about the Alenza Dueler H/L is the edge of the tread. Brand new the edge tread depth is already considerable less then the center tread depth. As the tires wear the edge starts to look very worn out before the rest of the tire. Its even worse for mine because I take a lot of long, sweeping, curvey on/off ramps at higher speeds for my daily commute. It just wears out the edges fast.

I noted that with the duelers. It kind of annoyed me as well I cant complain though, I bought this set "used" with less than 150 miles on them (still had "nubs") for 350$. I would have preferred a set of takeoffs from a F150 with the 20s (Pirellis), but these are fine.

Thread Information