grey
    2000 silverado 5.3

need more power.... advice??

i drive a silverado with a 5.3. i already have the intake, exhaust, plug wires, . what will get me the most power on a low budget?
    i recently changed from regular street tires that i could easily fry if i wanted, to now having bfg a/t's and can't at all. i want that capability back. any advice?

also, will gutting the cat or installing a flanged piece of stright pipe in it's place change the sound of it or help power wise at all. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

black
    04 silverado

cutting the CATs can give you horse power in a high performance engine, but since this is a daily driver, I wouldn't suggest it, also dump cut outs sound like crap (they rattle) and disturb gas flow when they are shut, not to mention they leek, could posibly be a health hazard ???carbon monoxide poisining anyone??? If you have a full exhaust w/ headers, high flow CATs, intake, computer tune, it's about time for a cam, or possibly an electric fan?
    As for tires you could get a new set of gears with a lower ratio and upgrade the locker. However the lower ratio will limit your top speed some but you will launch alot harder, besides, if you haven't cleared your speed limiter you haven't reached it yet anyways.

grey
    2000 silverado 5.3

i've been thinking of hi flow cats or the computer tune. my only problem is who offers the best product by way of tuning the computer. a cam has really been the next item on my wish list. i didn't want to get headers until i at least had that. anyway any advice on a GOOD programmer?

i've also thought of the gear change as i have the 3.42 for the towing package. but i've been skeptical because i like the low rpm's while towing.

White
    2000 Z28

i say some ls1 fans and a tune. Maybe a stall converter also.

grey
    2000 silverado 5.3

is there a plug and play harness available for installing LS! fans on my truck despite it originally having a fan & clutch?

black
    04 silverado

On the computer tune, if your serious about the cam, get the cam first and anyother significant modifications, and then get your ECU reprogrammed by a pro, I have seen a few programing software packages available, but unless you have a dyno and KNOW WTF YOUR DOING, I wouldn't suggest it. As for where to get the tune done, a local performance shop, research them out, don't use a guy working out of his house, or you can send it out to a company, I'll get back to you on that.

Also, what the heck does a LS1 fan have to do with anything? they make electric fan kits for the silverado.

P.S. dont go with a programer chip, those are designed for mostly stock engines, and will cost about the same price, and most shops will waranty the program, so if you get a complete rebuild, they will redo the tune for free, or atleast that was the case w/ my friends sti after he got EVERYTHING done to it, except internals, but he sent it out to get done.
    Last edited by shabysurf; 11-15-2006 at 09:35 AM.

grey
    2000 silverado 5.3

Quote Originally Posted by shabysurf View Post
    On the computer tune, if your serious about the cam, get the cam first and anyother significant modifications, and then get your ECU reprogrammed by a pro, I have seen a few programing software packages available, but unless you have a dyno and KNOW WTF YOUR DOING, I wouldn't suggest it. As for where to get the tune done, a local performance shop, research them out, don't use a guy working out of his house, or you can send it out to a company, I'll get back to you on that.

Also, what the heck does a LS1 fan have to do with anything? they make electric fan kits for the silverado.

P.S. dont go with a programer chip, those are designed for mostly stock engines, and will cost about the same price, and most shops will waranty the program, so if you get a complete rebuild, they will redo the tune for free, or atleast that was the case w/ my friends sti after he got EVERYTHING done to it, except internals, but he sent it out to get done.
    well the "ls1 fans" was just my way of saying i want to switch to electric fans. but since it originally has the clutch setup, do these kits have harnesses that "plug" into an existing connection or do i have to splice in somewhere like the temp sensors.

yes, the more i read on here i definitely am going to buy a programmed pcm in exchange for mine... right now i'm thinking nelson performane.. but again i haven't looked into it too much.

i've pretty much made up my mind that what i'm going to do is a cam and valvetrain, lt headers with ypipe, e-fans and then the pcm.

black
    04 silverado

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...ize-truck.html
    www.nelsonperformance.com

Wala, electric fan and harness, the internet is a powerful tool

Also, my friend no longer has his sti, It sadly loss battle with a tree around a corner because some dome ass was trying to chase him, and he downshifted to take off and loss control and slid into a huge ass tree, and then it caught fire, he shatered both his heels. He said he was able to save some stuff, but I dont know what, but we keep him in prayer.

grey
    2000 silverado 5.3

thanks for the info sorry to hear about your friend thats very unfortunate

Thread Information