misfire in buddies truck....

This is a discussion on misfire in buddies truck.... within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; My buddy has an 06 2500 with the 6L in it. He's showing misfires on cylinders 1-3 and 6-8. He ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

misfire in buddies truck....

My buddy has an 06 2500 with the 6L in it. He's showing misfires on cylinders 1-3 and 6-8. He changed plugs and wires and said those cylinders had different wires than the others so whoever had it before him evidently had the same issue. He's a couple hours north of me so I haven't had a chance to look at it or hook up a scanner to it. He says it idles fine and drives fine but will throw the flashing check engine light when cruising at highway speeds. I told him to swap coil packs and injectors to see if the codes follow it but other than that I'm drawing a blank on where to tell him to go next. Any ideas? Since it's specifically those 4 cylinders all the time and they're on different banks of the motor I can't think of much that would be common to those. I thought maybe cam or crank sensor but I would think it would be random across all cylinders if either of those were his issue. I also told him to pull the connectors off the pcm and check for corrosion but once again......that usually will do more than throw misfires on the same 4 cylinders all the time. Carbon build up maybe but I would think that would be knock more than misfire? Kinda at a loss here as far as where to tell him to go from the packs and injectors.

blue
    2001 silverado

Without a scan or log. I say reset the pcm. Pull the negative cable off for awhile. With those banks all i can think is the pcm got messed up and fuel trims or spark went haywire.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Did he "double click" the wires on the coils? Any chance he's running it lean?

red
    95 Z28

Intake vacuum leaks? bleed between cylinders? That would typically throw O2 codes though, but it's easy to check.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

pretty sure they've already checked for intake leaks. Also, he says the truck really doesn't run bad at all but it's using a shit load of gas. I had thought about sticking injectors too but what's the odds those 4 would all have issues at the same time? Where's the pcm at on those trucks? Is it in the same spot it is in my durmax? I'm kinda wondering if it isn't a pcm problem. That's always the last place I would ever tell anyone too look but those 4 cylinders all at the same time has to be something funky like that.

Thread Information