Thread: Ls1 383

01 z71

Ls1 383

so im thinking of a 383 stroker for my 82 swb. and thought about using an LS1
    engine. to do this maybe trying to find one in a wrecking yard. my thing is should i do that andgo fuel injected or go carbed.

i once rode in a 81 camaro with a carbed 383 stroker in it. and it was very mean were talking about. mashing the gas an getting throwen back in the seat with some force. and i enjoyed that it was a rush so i want one hehe

but i thought why not try an build one out of an LS1 engine

yes i know it needs a stroker kit an machine work an stuff 400 crank an stuff.

ive seen kits for about 800$ or so

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

You can do a Gen 1 small block for a hell of a lot less than an LSx. If you want it to be different you can do an LSx stroker but make sure the block is good first. LSx engines don't have the same tolerances as a gen 1. If the crank journals or the cylinder walls are to far out then you are going to spend 3 times as much to get that work done, if not need another block. Hell I can buy a 383 that bolts in to my 98 tahoe for 4000 bucks. I spent almost 6500 on my lt1 stroking it out. Look at GM crate engines or blue print engines. I have gotten adds from jegs for 383's making 400/400 for 5000 bucks or less. I know GM makes a fast burn 383 that has caught my eye a couple of times. Check out the crates first and if you really want an lsX 383 go into the internal engine section and start talking to the guys that have done it and the problems you could face. On and lsx 383 your going to have to have head work done to get in the 400's on the rear wheel HP.

01 z71

ive never ridden in it but a guy had like a 97 z71 short bed. and took the vortech 350 and built a 383 stroker. and it was wicked mean from what i had seen. i drive an 2001 z71 with the 5.3 in it. ive seen cases on other forums where they have made. a 383 out of that engine. and i can pick up a whole 5.3 motor for bout 500$. i know the ls1 engines are wicked. and i whouldnt mind having one. if i could find one for a decent price id get one. but if not a vortech 350 whould do or might see about a 5.3 stroked into a 383

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

If you do a gen1 vortec motor one of the problems you run into with the heads are the valve guids are really tall on those heads. They have to be cut down. If you do a gen one with a set of L98 heads(corvette TPI heads) those make good power and are cheap to have worked. You can use those heads on the gen 1 style votec block but have to use a regular intake for them insted of the vortec intake.

01 z71

are the vortech intakes not good to use?

see id like to take the pcm an stuff an go fuel injected

ive also found a 5.3 full motor for 500$ ive seen on otherforums ls1trucks a few have used the 5.3l to build a 383

ive also been told i can find ls1 blocks reasonable but when i seen them they were expnsive

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

My personal opinion, I have done both Fuel injected and carbed. I would go carbed if my damn cars didn't use the Auto 4l60e electronic transmission. I may still go carbed on my 98 tahoe and just spend the money to buy a controller or buy the controller and do a 4l80e. FI is just more money I have to spend. I would do a prochager with a carb on a gen 1 small block and call it a day. The cost will suprise you. especialy on an lsx. Tons of parts but most people spend way more than I ever would building an engine. One option is to buy a vortec engine harness, intake and pcm as well as the GM 383 vortec crate for $4000 and it is plug and play. They make a 383 for 96 to 99 vortec trucks and SUV's. Your total cost to get it on the road would be like 5k to 6k. Not to bad as far as fuel injected strokers from scratch go. Later down the road have it dyno tuned for some more power. In the end as far as cost go Like I have said you can buy a gen one crate stroker for under 6k that makes good power.

01 z71

building one whould be more fun to me im just trying to decide what gen to use. now here is a stupid question say i build a vortech 383 or used an lt1 setup. i see some nice cams on texas speed. for the ls engines like the 228Rcam now my question is whould that cam work in gen one block or lt1 or something? i know its roller an thats what i want a roller motor

im thinking of finding a vortech motor i can get one for about 600$ full motor heads an all then getting the 800$ stroker kit an geting the machine work done

i noticed lt1s had cam drive reverse flow waterpump were they wroth a flip??

an let me get this stright lt1 is iron block alum heads strated in 91 i think? and its a roller motor

whats the big difference in the vortech engines like what came in my 97 z71

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

95 to 99 vortec engines are basid on a gen1 smallblock. the heads are the only thing special about them. It requires a different intake to blot on to the vortec heads. other wise you can take the heads off and run any gen 1 head on it you want. LT1's are a bread all by them selves. Lt1 is a gen 2 smallblock with reverse cooling and optispark ignition system. The block is different than a gen1 and a gen 3. LT1 heads are reversed cooled so they can only be used on the lt1 block. 00+ vortec engines like the 5.3, 6.0 and 4.8 are gen3 smallblock. They are basically the lsx engines only most refer to them as Lxx's from the trucks and everything else. truck, F-body and Vette engines are the ones you want for rear wheel drive apps. Thier light weight is a big selling point to guys concerned about every pound. You can stroke them and there are several stock heads that make good power. some use the 5.3 truck heads on the ls1's. I am not as versed on lsx's or LXX's as I am on gen 1's and lt1's so if you are thinking of going the LSX or LXX rout then hop over to the internal engine section and ask them what all is involved. I only know tid bits about the cost involved on those.

01 z71

i had a buddy who is deceased now

he always wanted to buil an LT1 Stroker on a T-Bucket

im kinda intrested in the lsx or ls1 if i could find a block but they are hard to find

Thread Information