Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Looking at trucks

This is a discussion on Looking at trucks within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; These things are few and far between up our way. I would prefer a 2500, but this one should suffice ...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

These things are few and far between up our way. I would prefer a 2500, but this one should suffice nicely. I dropped a deposit on it to hold the truck until my salesman returns from vacation.

Black
    00 WS6

I would lean towards a diesel truck, you can pick up an 04 or 05 with low miles for around 25k to 27k. I've been looking, but really need to put some money away for my kids college before I buy a truck.

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    These things are few and far between up our way. I would prefer a 2500, but this one should suffice nicely. I dropped a deposit on it to hold the truck until my salesman returns from vacation.
    You the proud owner of that Suburban yet?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by MeGoFast View Post
    You the proud owner of that Suburban yet?

Picking it up in the next few days. Been a busy week and my salesperson was on vacation.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We've had the new truck now for a couple of weeks and love it. So far, no issues have appeared. I was worried about the DOD engine and oil consumption based on all the research I did. However, we are approaching 1,000 miles and the oil level on the dipstick has not dropped at all. Phew!

Two things of note -- average mileage has been in the mid-13's which is a bit less than I expected. There has been a significant amount of stop and go though so we'll have to check it on a true highway run to see what it gets. Also, it takes for freakin' ever to wash this thing. I need a ladder to get the roof and there are just acres of sheetmetal and plastic to scrub.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

We've had the new truck now for a couple of weeks and love it. So far, no issues have appeared. I was worried about the DOD engine and oil consumption based on all the research I did. However, we are approaching 1,000 miles and the oil level on the dipstick has not dropped at all. Phew!

Two things of note -- average mileage has been in the mid-13's which is a bit less than I expected. There has been a significant amount of stop and go though so we'll have to check it on a true highway run to see what it gets. Also, it takes for freakin' ever to wash this thing. I need a ladder to get the roof and there are just acres of sheetmetal and plastic to scrub.
    i wonder what improvement you might see by tweeking the DOD..setting the limits higher so it stays in dod above 5% throttle (default setting for grand prix gxps)

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I'm happy to hear you like it!! My dad just bought a 2011 yesterday because he hated driving his Tahoe. The space is awesome to have, and it drives so nice. I've taken the Burb on a couple trips down south with the cargo area fully loaded and 6 other people in the truck. And best of luck with the oil consumption issue, hopefully it never affects you. Not all of them have problems. Usually you start seeing it around 30k-40k mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i wonder what improvement you might see by tweeking the DOD..setting the limits higher so it stays in dod above 5% throttle (default setting for grand prix gxps)
    I think it was more of a system put in place to shut the hippies up. People buying Avalanches/Tahoes/Suburbans usually could care less about that little blip of fuel economy difference.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'm happy to hear you like it!! My dad just bought a 2011 yesterday because he hated driving his Tahoe. The space is awesome to have, and it drives so nice. I've taken the Burb on a couple trips down south with the cargo area fully loaded and 6 other people in the truck. And best of luck with the oil consumption issue, hopefully it never affects you. Not all of them have problems. Usually you start seeing it around 30k-40k mileage.

I think it was more of a system put in place to shut the hippies up. People buying Avalanches/Tahoes/Suburbans usually could care less about that little blip of fuel economy difference.
    that is true ..but i mean it doesnt do anything becuase it is set up to run below 5% throttle and a bunch of other specs..what amazes me is it is disabled in 4th gear (on 4 gear set ups) ..it seems having dod run in 4th at bellow 30% throttle would show huge improvements...as you are cruising most of the time and performance is not needed....i wonder if it is a mechanical/oiling issue why it is set soooo low

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

Drove from IL to Naples Florida and back in March in my Avalanche and averaged about 18mpg with the cruise set to 72 most of the time. Typically average about 15mpg with a mix of both Hwy and local. To feel better only look at the instant miles per gallon display when going downhill.
    Last edited by MeGoFast; 10-01-2010 at 05:52 AM. Reason: typo

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I haven't downloaded the tune yet from the truck onto HP Tuners. I'll do it soon and then check the DOD parameters. Thanks for the idea Shady.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information