just walking around tearing shit up.....

This is a discussion on just walking around tearing shit up..... within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Dodged a bullet this week.......a self inflicted bullet I believe. I was at the store and walking back out to ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

just walking around tearing shit up.....

Dodged a bullet this week.......a self inflicted bullet I believe. I was at the store and walking back out to the truck. I just happen to notice my pumpkin was wet. I get the truck home and crawl under there and my diff cover is cracked and leaking. That thing is rusted to hell and back but I think I might have gotten the jack on it and helped it along the last time I rotated tires because it definitely wasn't leaking then and the bottom of the cover looks slightly bent. That's been about 2k miles ago so it's a wonder I didn't burn the rearend up. There's still fluid leaking so that tells me there's still some fluid in there. I ordered a new cover yesterday that should be here by the weekend so it's parked until I get that changed out. I'm curious to see how much fluid is left when I pop that cover. I did make the leak a tad bit worse by picking at the rust around the crack. I've honestly never seen a cover rust this bad. I guarantee that I'll be able to push my thumb through it before I take it off. With just a little pressure with my thumb I could see it flex. I got real lucky on this one I believe......could've been a lot more expensive than $60.

I'd rather be lucky than good though.

red
    95 Z28

Might still be more expensive than 60$. Go knock on some wood. Hopefully with the cover and some new fluid and it will be fine though.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm hoping since there's still fluid in there and the rear hasn't been making any noise that it's fine. For all I know it could've just started but I'm betting it's at least been leaking a little since that last rotation. I'm going to replace all the bolts in the cover too so it'll be more than $60 but still much cheaper than a burned up rear. Those bolts look like they're going to be fun....they're just as rusty as the cover. I'll get some pics when I do the swap. I'm going to paint the cover going back on there.....give it that nice classy redneck look. I'm thinking orange

98 Formula
    06 duramax

got my cover in Saturday. Started on it today just to get all the bolts broke loose to see if I was going to have any problems with them due to the rust. I gotta say....that spare tire system GM uses sucks balls. What a pain in the ass that thing was. It took me forever to get the tire down past the secondary latch system. Anyone that has that needs to lower it and lube everything once a year. No way would you be able to do that on the side of the road if it's rusted up. It took me a couple hours of fighting this damn thing to get it off. Eventually I was able to get a screwdriver in there and pry the latch in enough to get the tire down. The tire will not be going back under there....it's not even the same size tire I run anyhow. If I get a flat then that's what I pay AAA for.
    The bolts around the cover were so rusted I have no idea even what size head is on them. I drove a half inch on there and got them all broke loose except the last couple I tried a 13mm because I'm pretty sure they're metric. Same deal though.....had to drive it onto the bolt because of all the rust so it's either a 1/2" or a 13mm. Most likely metric I would say. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to get all new bolts and the bolt for the fill hole.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Similar issues here on our Suburban -- the rear cover is a rusted up piece of scrap, but no leaks yet. I agree the spare tire setup is ridiculous. The spring is busted on ours, so I probably should just replace it before something else goes. Worked on the neighbors' Suburban that is a year older than ours and probably had the same fight you did releasing the secondary latch. If I remember right, I was able to squeeze the latching mechanism together somehow and that is the only way I could get it to let go.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's what my intentions were except I couldn't find my channel locks and wire pliers wouldn't work. I went up through the hub on the rim with a big ass screwdriver and got it on the lever and was able to pry it in enough to get it to come down. This is after hours of trying it with the POS bottle jack like the manual says. That may work on a new one but not on one that has any rust. I also rounded out the frigin tool that lowers the tire. Just an all around shitty day really I can't really say that....I got all the bolts loose on the cover which was what I was really worried about. I could picture a couple of those breaking off and making this job 10x harder than it needed to be. I painted my new cover so that should slow down some of the rust and I'll probably paint the heads on the new bolts too. Every little bit helps.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Went through this exact thing on my fathers explorer. Spare tire issues and all. Wasn't too bad, but a pain in the ass still.
    It's on jackstands.

red
    95 Z28

Holy rust belt. The spare system works fine for trucks that arent parked in a sauna (i.e the midwest) for years.

And if the cover bolts didnt come out, heating them with a torch probably would have helped.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Get a spare tire mount for the bed.

Glad mine mounts to the rear door and actually came with a tire iron..

I've seen engine oil pans do that before, they are rather thin sheetmetal. I've never seen a diff cover do that though,,,,they are usually fairly thick metal. Guess they aren't making them as thick as they used to.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I went to fastenal today and ordered all new bolts for it. The dealership wanted $4.50 a bolt. 14x 4.50 = $70 in bolts. No way that was going to happen. I'm also on the fence about a gasket for the cover. I never use gaskets on the rear covers.....always just use permatex. Not sure why but this time I'm kinda thinking about throwing a gasket in there.....probably won't though. I've been using just permatex for years now with no issues.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You know the saying...if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I always throw a gasket on the rear covers along with a real thin coat of Permatex. Cheap insurance against leaks.

My friend's Ford Ranger sprung a rust induced leak in the oil pan a couple of years ago. He epoxied it and slowed it down a bit for awhile.

Thread Information