Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Ignition sticking

This is a discussion on Ignition sticking within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Fuel pump would have been my first guess. Fuel pumps were a fairly common issue in GMT800s, not sure about ...

red
    95 Z28

Fuel pump would have been my first guess. Fuel pumps were a fairly common issue in GMT800s, not sure about the 900s.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

0rion - annual camping trip?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I kind of figured I'll end up dropping the tank... oh well, gives me something to do.
    Drive the thing around until the tank is pretty low on fuel before dropping it. You have to really tilt those tanks to get them out and it quite a juggling act to do with 100 plus pounds of fuel in the tank.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks for the heads up. It has less than half a tank now and I am hesitant to take it anywhere with how it is acting. I will probably siphon off at least 10 gallons before attempting to drop the tank. Guess I'll need to call in for some backup if I cannot utilize my transmission jack to drop it.

If you have a lift and a tranny jack you are already ahead of the game

That's how I do it, and usually drop them with what ever fuel is in there because most of these new cars I've found don't have the jumper wire to run the pump continuously like they did in the 80's and early 90's, and they don't have a daggum drain plug either like most cars did in the 40's-50's and some 60's. So I just drain it after it's out so it's easier to lift back in. They always seem easier to get out than in anyway. The last one I did in my wifes camaro had 12 gallons in it (almost full). I used the jack and lift. Came right out. While it was on the tranny jack I pumped gas into a pair of 5 gallon cans I had and left the remaining couple gallons in the tank.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Replaced the plugs and ignition wires tonight. Somewhere north of 85,000 on the clock, so they were on the out anyway. Number 8 was almost as bad, or worse, than on our Trans Am. Between the fact that I had to lay across the radiator support to reach it and the rear AC lines and metal shield beneath them... it sucked serious monkey balls. I'll check the fuel pressure tomorrow night when I get started out in the garage.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Thanks for the heads up. It has less than half a tank now and I am hesitant to take it anywhere with how it is acting. I will probably siphon off at least 10 gallons before attempting to drop the tank. Guess I'll need to call in for some backup if I cannot utilize my transmission jack to drop it.
    Use the trans jack and a helper if it has more then 1/3 full of fuel. You'll have to tilt its so far that you risk it kicking the jack out and the fuel tank falling to the floor. A helper will do wonders to getting it out.
    It not too hard, just annoyingly tense.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I just hope there is enough slack in the lines to lower it a bit so I can release them. Can't say that this is a job I am looking forward to.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I just realized that I started this thread almost a year ago. That is a slow fail considering that the truck has run several thousand miles in the interim.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Tested it upon returning home this evening and only get 25 psi when the ignition is energized. After it cranks a bit, the pressure jumps and holds at 58 psi and stays there while running. I am going to test it again in a few minutes to see if it is the same.

Tested it upon returning home this evening and only get 25 psi when the ignition is energized. After it cranks a bit, the pressure jumps and holds at 58 psi and stays there while running. I am going to test it again in a few minutes to see if it is the same.
    Wow, I've never had one that low when you energize the ignition switch.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Tank is dropped and the pump is out. I'm not sure if the General designed this system with enough hoses on the tank -- there were 6 or 7 lines that had to be disconnected and there were at least 3 distinct style connectors.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Shopped for pumps online last night. Airtek was $311, AC Delco was $344 and Bosch $388. Ended up at the dealership as the 'Zone said they couldn't get AC Delco, even though it is on their website. Quoted north of $400 and when I listed the prices off, the parts counter guy let me have it for $275. Said it should be in by Tuesday.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Pump came in today together with the new bolts and nuts. Just too darn hot out in the garage to do anything though. Going to have to wait a bit for things to cool down -- 85 humid degrees takes the fun right out of a project like this.

Here is the old pump after beating off the lock ring and pulling it. I will have to transfer over the fuel level sender to the new pump. Other than that, it is really a plug and play job.

Pump came in today together with the new bolts and nuts. Just too darn hot out in the garage to do anything though. Going to have to wait a bit for things to cool down -- 85 humid degrees takes the fun right out of a project like this.

Here is the old pump after beating off the lock ring and pulling it. I will have to transfer over the fuel level sender to the new pump. Other than that, it is really a plug and play job.

Click for full size

Click for full size
    She looks a little crusty...

I had a GMC Jimmy that looked like that when I did a pump replacement back in Ohio, I ended up replacing the entire float/bucket assembly. Road salt just gets up there and sits.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-15-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Truck came out of Southern NY so not as purdy as I usually like them to be underneath, but the price was right. In order to remove the tank, Zach ended up cutting one tube off as we just couldn't get the connector to release.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Damn, that salt really makes stuff nasty down there huh

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yeah, it tears stuff up. So far, I haven't had any issues because of it. I stripped and coated the frame after we bought it as the crap GM applies at the factory is pretty useless. I just need to do it again.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Dropped the pump lock ring and tank straps through the blast cabinet and have them in first coat POR-15. I was able to remove the quick disconnect pieces from the pump line that had to be cut off. We'll see how it looks once I re-insert the o-ring and spacer into the connector. Looks like Dorman Products covers plastic fuel line and connector repair parts if needed.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Truck is all back together and running good. Starts almost immediately now, so the pump was definitely the issue.

Thanks again to Zach and Dan for the help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information