Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 Firehawk

I am thinking about buying a new truck.

I am thinking about buying a new truck and I was wondering if this is a good place to look for advice. Back when I bought my Firehawk in '02 there were plenty of users on LS1.com that would make suggestions on what to order and so forth, but these seems like kind of a small group.

Living the Dream LS1FirehawkWS6's Avatar

2000 Trans-Am
    2007 Silverado 2500HD LTZ

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoatherder View Post
    I am thinking about buying a new truck and I was wondering if this is a good place to look for advice. Back when I bought my Firehawk in '02 there were plenty of users on LS1.com that would make suggestions on what to order and so forth, but these seems like kind of a small group.
    1.) What do you want the truck for? i.e.- work, play, or a little of both.
    2.) What brand are you looking at? Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, GMC, or foreign?
    3.) What's your budget?

These questions will better help other members and I to point you in the right direction.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I just bought an 06 duramax a couple months ago....very happy with it. Truck has tons of power with some left over. I would've settled for a 1500 series if I could get one with the 6L in it but the only trucks I saw either had the 4.8 or 5.3 in it.....too small for me.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

I am looking to replace my daily driver, a '93 Chevy X that I ordered. Most of the time I just drive the 9 miles back and fourth to work. If the weather is good I drive the Firehawk on longer trips. I do want 4 wheel drive and a pickup that can pull my car trailer. I have taken it on ski trips to Colorado, but I am kind of limited to 2 people. In the summer on several occasions I have taken it on the 4 wheel drive trail through the mountains. I will get either a GMC or Chevy from one of the local dealers in my home town, Fairview Okla. My current truck is a standard cab long wheel base, I don't know if I want to spend the money on a crew cab or extended cab, because I am single and usually don't need that kind of interior space. But I want a nice truck with a non-cloth seats and the only way you can get leather is to order an extended cab or crew cab. I would like to keep it cheaper then the Firehawk which I think was around $36000, but I don't think that I can do that. I have noticed that in my family we keep vehicles for a long time so I want to make sure I get something that I will be happy with for more then ten years. Thanks guys

Black
    2002 Firehawk

What happened to my Chevy 4x4? it is just a Chevy X now...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like a prime candidate for a diesel. You won't get one new for $36 I don't think but you can certainly get a low mileage truck that's only a year or two old for that. Diesel will pull that car trailer around like it's nothing and since you keep trucks a long time it'll still be worth something when you're done because of the duramax/allison combo. I would also recommend the extended or crew cab. Not necessarily for hauling people in but it's nice having the extra storage back there and if you ever do need to haul a few people you can.

2000 Trans-Am

I agree with Orion. Diesel is the way to go if you're thinking about keeping the truck around for a decade or so, with hauling a trailer. My old 3/4 ton with the 6.0liter never felt the car hauler hooked up to it. I haven't hooked my new LTZ to a trailer yet, but I imagine with the Allison in her, she'll pull even better. You'll also like the fuel economy of the diesel as opposed to the gasser. Especially if you're going to Colorado in it.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Well even though I'm for the most part anti-ford.........I had a '97 F-350 turbo diesel which was absolutely amazing!!!!!! Ford cars are garbage, but their trucks are great, I drive a Navigator as a daily driver, and my parents have A 350 and an excursion and havent had any issues. On the flip side, I've also had a 2006 GMC Sierra which was an amazingly well hauling, towing, and comforts truck, with the 5.3L which worked out great, but you pay for that...................I also had a 2005 Ram with the 5.7L hemi which never gave me any issues, but wasn't nearly as comfortable or refined as the GMC. If your looking for a good budget truck, the Dodge is the way to go.................if you have a little more money to throw out I would certainly pick up the GMC or Chevy pickup, and if your looking at a diesel, try to find a Ford Super-Diuty with the 7.3L turbo diesel, the 6.0L's are garbage. Good luck on your search!!!!!!!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Here maybe this will help you deside..

All stock, except for the stacks and a good tune..
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-16-2010 at 01:31 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I have owned 5 silverados in my life so far and I never plan on owning anything else. Even the 1500 5.3's are exceptional engines and vehicles. I currently have an 04 SS that I've been searching for, for almost 5 years, and I love it. I have yet to own a diesel, but one day....

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Black
    2002 Firehawk

I hadn't really been thinking about a diesel, I only occasionally will pull a trailer. Basically it will be my daily driver, rain or... well mostly crappy weather. I have the Firehawk to drive on nice days. What do you guys think about the 5.3 with active fuel management? I think that it is has the aluminum block and it shuts down 4 cylinders under light load. Will it last over a hundred and fifty thousand miles with out problems? Will there be performance equipment available for it? When the government cranks the price of gas back up will it really get better mileage?
    Thanks

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I hadn't really been thinking about a diesel, I only occasionally will pull a trailer. Basically it will be my daily driver, rain or... well mostly crappy weather. I have the Firehawk to drive on nice days. What do you guys think about the 5.3 with active fuel management? I think that it is has the aluminum block and it shuts down 4 cylinders under light load. Will it last over a hundred and fifty thousand miles with out problems? Will there be performance equipment available for it? When the government cranks the price of gas back up will it really get better mileage?
    Thanks
    I don't see a problem with active fuel managment. It's been used or a type of it has been used by other manufacturers for years. So imho the tech is sound.

The after market for GM trucks has always been strong, I can't see way you'd have a problem @ all finding after market stuff for it.

Your mileage will be the same relative to how heavy your right foot is, reguardless of the price of fuel.

It's always been my experiance that no vehicle will make 150,000 mile without @ least some need of repair here and there. I'd go for one with a warranty though. You can always buy a warranty later too, to help keep some repair costs in check..

Good luck.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Thanks
    Don't bet your wallet on the AFM... It kicks down to 4 cyl mode on very RARE occasions. Like perhaps... at highway speeds, rolling down hill, with the wind at your back. Other than that it's kind of a crapshoot. But overall performance from the 5.3 regardless of AFM or not is outstanding. They are very powerful trucks with TONS of potential. I've seen a few 150k + mile new body style silverados rolling into my dealership. They will last but you're still going to have to do repairs and definitely all the maint. required.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Smile So I talked to my local dealer and ordered a truck

He had one that he had just done a dealer swap on that was pretty close, but he ordered me one any way. I suppose you want to know what I ordered, but if you didn't; tough I will describe it any way.

2010 Chevy 1500 crew cab LT
    Black with cashmere leather interior
    40-20-40 seats driver with 6 way adjustment
    Exterior plus package
    Interior plus package
    Z71 appearance package
    Power pack plus
    Z71 Handling package
    Trailer brake controller

With this setup I think that I will get a blacked out front end with the look of chrome mesh in the grill. Kind of a match on my Firehawk... black with tan interior.
    It will have the radio controls on the steering wheel, and a replacement for my semi defective remote control for my garage door.
    A aluminum block 5.3 with active fuel management and a 6 speed transmission. We were forced to choose the 3.08 gears, but that doesn't bother me much, as long as it can pass.

They are going to change a truck that they have ordered for stock, should be late June but more likely July when it is built. I have something to look forward to.

Well I better get going now, I have to Zaino up the Firehawk to be ready for the Pontiac Southern Nationals next weekend.
    Thanks
    Oldgoatherder

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

He had one that he had just done a dealer swap on that was pretty close, but he ordered me one any way. I suppose you want to know what I ordered, but if you didn't; tough I will describe it any way.

2010 Chevy 1500 crew cab LT
    Black with cashmere leather interior
    40-20-40 seats driver with 6 way adjustment
    Exterior plus package
    Interior plus package
    Z71 appearance package
    Power pack plus
    Z71 Handling package
    Trailer brake controller

With this setup I think that I will get a blacked out front end with the look of chrome mesh in the grill. Kind of a match on my Firehawk... black with tan interior.
    It will have the radio controls on the steering wheel, and a replacement for my semi defective remote control for my garage door.
    A aluminum block 5.3 with active fuel management and a 6 speed transmission. We were forced to choose the 3.08 gears, but that doesn't bother me much, as long as it can pass.

They are going to change a truck that they have ordered for stock, should be late June but more likely July when it is built. I have something to look forward to.

Well I better get going now, I have to Zaino up the Firehawk to be ready for the Pontiac Southern Nationals next weekend.
    Thanks
    Oldgoatherder
    Very cool!!! The Z71 appearance package is awesome. It is body color grill with the chrome mesh and it makes that truck look completely different. (In a good way) You'll have to get used to driving the 6sp auto, because at first they feel very awkward.

Congratulations!!! I'll be looking forward to some pics.

2000 Trans-Am

Noice! I do like the Z-71's. I agree with Konig, I can't wait for some pics!

Black
    2002 Firehawk

It's alive...

I got word yesterday that my pickup has been built. Now I just have to wait on a train from Old Mexico. Do you guys have any idea where the pickups are built in Mexico? I attemped to google that info, but I didn't get much.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I got word yesterday that my pickup has been built. Now I just have to wait on a train from Old Mexico. Do you guys have any idea where the pickups are built in Mexico? I attemped to google that info, but I didn't get much.
    If the VIN starts with the #3 then this is the RPO code and plant it came out of:

MSL - SILAO, MEXICO PLANT

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Talking My new truck came in.

George, the salesman showed up at my office Monday afternoon with the keys to my new truck. You got to love a small town, I bet that wouldn't happen in a larger city. I have been attempting to post a picture of it, for the last several hours, but apparently I can't add attachments.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

George, the salesman showed up at my office Monday afternoon with the keys to my new truck. You got to love a small town, I bet that wouldn't happen in a larger city. I have been attempting to post a picture of it, for the last several hours, but apparently I can't add attachments.
    Open a photobucket.com account and you can post from there.

Gotta love small towns, we do the same thing for our customers.

Thread Information