Help with Buying?

Alright guys I am looking at getting a brand new 2010 colorado lt2. Just looking for some outside opinions! Does anyone have any experience? I don't need a full size truck but the bird doesn't allow for much cargo lol. How is the I5 compared to the 5.3, performance/maintenance/mpg?? I don't have anything to pull right now but may have a small trailer or what not in the future. All the used trucks are way overpriced around here and not worth the headache since the dealers aren't willing to help since I drive up in my bird and right way they see dollar signs!

My credit is perfect also and I have a good job with no real bills.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

GOR1LA, I don't have any experience with the Colorado's but while I was shopping for a truck I played around on the Chevy web site building trucks to see the sticker prices, and what options you could put together. Then I went to the Edmunds web site and put the pickup together to get the list price, that way I had a good idea what the truck was worth. Then I played around with the various cash back offers and interest rates. It looks to me like they have a $2000.00 cash back on the Colorado, on the Silverado it was $5000.00 cash back. You could get cash back or a no interest loan, any way I calculated it was cheaper to get the cash back and pay interest, it might be different for you.

On the pickup it self, you wont wish you got the I5 if you get the 5.3 V8... Think about it, if you get the I5, every time you want to pass some one, you will wish you got the V8.
    A couple of other things, it says that you live in Michigan, don't you get a lot of snow? 4 wheel drive would improve your chances on the road in the winter, I noticed that you have a Z71 pictured, but I found out that you could get a Z71 package with 2 wheel drive, so don't let that fool you.

The other thing is a personal observation that I made while shopping for the Silverado. My friends suggested that I get an extended cab pickup this time, so that was what I was shopping for. I took one out on a test drive, it was very nice. I got the drivers seat pretty comfortable, then I climbed into the back seat. It was like climbing into the back seat of the Firehawk except that I climbed up instead of down. My knees were jambed into the back of the drivers seat, and the back of the back seat was very vertical and uncomfortable. I thought about taking passengers on a trip, I wouldn't want to ride back there on a hundred mile trip, it would suck. So I got a crew cab.

I was going to go back to that sentence and see if I could get back in there any more times, but I have decided that I best back off.

I do like the black.

I hope that this helps.
    Last edited by Oldgoatherder; 08-23-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: grammer

hey thanks and nope i just moved to kansas no longer in michigan, just forgot to change that on here. The lt2 has the z71 package and i would only get the 2 wheel drive. Won't be taking more then 3 ppl in the ext. cab so the 3rd one can lay on the back seat lol. Only thing im not sure about is the gas with the 5.3. Ive heard it sucks and that you get better with a 1500. I have a 20 mile commute to work, one way so not really sure yet. Guess ill play around a bit! Thanks a ton for the opinion if you have anything else speak your mind.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

For 2wd with v8 don't pay more than 23,000. I picked up a 2007 tundra double cab for 25,500 back in 07 brand new. Thier pricing is back to the way it was when I bought because of all the bad press. They have tundras for 26,000, 2wd 4.7 v8's. Use that against them and don't pay over 23 to 24 for a nice V8 Rado

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

I had a 07 z71 4x4 extended cab with the I5 Engine. It was an ok truck nothing special to me. Make sure you get one with the rear sliding window just in case you haul long material ever now and than. Gas mileage was far better than in my prior ZR2 s10 and the motor with about 240hp/240tq or so in the Colorado was ok but I never liked the sound of it (maybe exhaust could fix) and after sometime of ownership felt the price to step up to it from the ZR2 was not worth it. I actually traded it straight up on an 03 loaded Avalanche and have no regrets, leather, moonroof and just a far better truck even with more miles. I always preferred the smaller trucks until I roadtripped in my father in laws Silverado 2500. Honestly I dont think you can go wrong if you can pick one up at the right price but I do think it faired on the low end compared to its competition. Personally if I were you I would buy used and let someone else take the depreciation hit, unless you plan on owning the truck for a long time than buy new. I believe the Colorado may be redesigned soon due to low sales volume. I have flown out of state and driven autos back, get round trip ticket and pay the extra $5 or so to cancel the return trip if you do buy and drive back. Lived down in KC for a few years, snow wasn't a problem but the ICE could sneek up on ya.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by MeGoFast View Post
    I had a 07 z71 4x4 extended cab with the I5 Engine. It was an ok truck nothing special to me. Make sure you get one with the rear sliding window just in case you haul long material ever now and than. Gas mileage was far better than in my prior ZR2 s10 and the motor with about 240hp/240tq or so in the Colorado was ok but I never liked the sound of it (maybe exhaust could fix) and after sometime of ownership felt the price to step up to it from the ZR2 was not worth it. I actually traded it straight up on an 03 loaded Avalanche and have no regrets, leather, moonroof and just a far better truck even with more miles. I always preferred the smaller trucks until I roadtripped in my father in laws Silverado 2500. Honestly I dont think you can go wrong if you can pick one up at the right price but I do think it faired on the low end compared to its competition. Personally if I were you I would buy used and let someone else take the depreciation hit, unless you plan on owning the truck for a long time than buy new. I believe the Colorado may be redesigned soon due to low sales volume. I have flown out of state and driven autos back, get round trip ticket and pay the extra $5 or so to cancel the return trip if you do buy and drive back. Lived down in KC for a few years, snow wasn't a problem but the ICE could sneek up on ya.
    If you're looking to buy new, chances are you can get a full size pickup for the same price if not cheaper than a Colorado. GM puts more rebates and incentives on the full size trucks because they sell better, and their resale value will always be higher. There is rarely every any programs on the Colorado because it doesn't sell. Drive one first. I've driven several and hate them because it feels like you're sitting on the floor. Very uncomfortable. If you don't need 4x4, definitely look at the Silverados. Much more room, more comfort, and probably for around the same price. Fuel economy with the 4.8 will be comparable to the I5. Just my thoughts.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Black
    2002 Firehawk

GOR1LA, I suggest that you test drive every thing you can, if you are a serious buyer they will let you. konigandy6 has made some good points, you may not like the seating or the ride in the Colorado. My crew cab Silverado is really comfy. I don't know how long you keep vehicles, if you are like me I kept my previous pickup 17 years. It was 1993 CK 1500 Silverado 4X4 standard cab long bed, according to the blue book it was only worth $750.00, but it is in good shape, I found a buyer and put together a deal for $3500.00. I don't think that the mid size truck S10 would have held together that well and retained that much value. I was able to order that truck and I ordered its replacement so I could get just what I wanted.

Black
    00 WS6

My 09 Siverado 5.3 extended cab got about 17 MPG, like someelse said test drive a full size truck...I think you'll like it better.

Thread Information