Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

GM trucks & tires/suspension

hi to everyone.. i have few questions about trucks and SUVs.
    im looking to buy a 03-05 tahoe z71 or a silverado same year..
    im lloking at a 03 silverado, and a 03 thaoe z71 good deal on both of them, still not sure which one to buy...

on the tahoe i want to run bigger tires, i was thinking 33s x12.5 or maybe 35s, and keep the suspension stock height..
    but on the silverado i also plan to run 33s tires but i do not like the way it looks stock height, so i heard about kits that level the height of the truck.. i dont wanna lift the truck, kits are expensive plus, i dont want it to tall.. where could i buy that kit? is it a good idea to put that on the suspension? how much does that cost...
    i looked around but i dont about a place where i can buy that...

also if some one has a truck here with those tires or kit, pls feel free to post a pic or a comment about how you like it...

thanks everyone..
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

red
    95 Z28

Leveling kits are available at any place that sells 4wd parts, or on ebay or amazon. Lots of companies sell them, and they range in price from 60-200$ depending on exactly what you get. They use re-clocked torsion bar keys, and raise the front of the truck 1-3 inches. They are the safest way to raise the front of the truck (as opposed to just cranking the stock keys up). If you dont have the right tools or experience, let someone else install them, and you need an alignment after you're done either way. This should allow the fitment of 33 inch tires, although it will be close. 35s on stock suspension? Not going to happen, not even close.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

What kind of tires are we talking about, MT's, AT's, etc.?

12.5 is a wide wheel IMHO if I'm looking at this right.

Pavement pounder or mudder?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Isn't a 285 on those wheels a 12" wide tire? I could be wrong.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm pretty sure on that year truck at a minimum you'll have to get new keys to get the bars cranked enough to fit 33's on it plus trim your front fender liner. I'm not completely sure on the 1500's though. My 06 2500 had enough stock key to fit 33's plus a little left over. 285-75-16 is a 33" tall tire and about 11.5" wide roughly. The brands fluctuate a little bit here and there on those measurements but they're all pretty close to that. Like 5.0 said....no way 35's are fitting on stock suspension....not even close. Keep in mind that when you start putting larger (heavier) tires and cranking the bars you'll wear the front suspension out faster than if you left it stock. Just something to be aware of. When I cranked my stock keys I only went like 1.5" to keep that upper A arm angle as friendly as possible. I went just enough to clear the tire and then trimmed the front fender liner. I will still wear the front suspension faster but I'm good with that.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Thanks for the replies guys!
    I looked around an seems like a 35s are to big for what I'm loony for.
    Plus like you guys said. They are not gonna fit on stock height.
    So I did some research and seems that 33s Will not fit anyway. I will need a body lift or something. What size tire would you guys recommend to run with just the leveling kit?
    On the tires I'm gonna use I'm still not sure. Mostly I'll run the truck on the city, once in a while to the snow, mudding or to the mountains.

I plan on using the stock rims if possible. But if needed i can get the steel rims from American racing.

I'm new to this so, I really appreciate the help everyone..

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Forgot to ask.
    What parts exactly do I need to get this done the right way?

I'll try to the job my self If it doesn't look difficult.
    Could be totally different. But I change the shocks/springs and other suspension parts for the 1st time with some info I found on here Lol

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Just run 285 / 75 R 17's (or 16's)

Decently wide tire and probably the cheapest size among A/T's and M/T's. And it's damn close to a 33" tire. It actually may be slightly larger.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you can get keys and 2" rear blocks at alligator performance for $150. They also have a 3.5" kit ( keys and 1.5" body lift) that will let you run 33's for $250 which is probably the way I would go. How much mudding are you going to do and how important is mud traction to you? You'll have to decide what's most important to you. MT's will be better offroad but that's about the only positive you can say about them. They ride like ass, don't last long, and are loud. There are some good AT tires out there that would probably be a much better choice for you unless mud traction is most important. Nitto makes a pretty popular AT tire called the terra grappler and a more aggressive tire called the trail grappler.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

thanks guys...
    andy, im looking at that size tires and probably thats the rout im gonna take, i want something mostly for the city, traction in mud is not a big concerned, since ill be doing it once in a while,
    so to make the right dessision on which tires to buy, whats my best shot? i dont want anything very noisy or that rides very bad like orion says,..
    in the lift i will probably save some cash since ill be going to check out a 04 silverado hd that its already lifted
    also a ford f250 4 doors, hopefully i get one of them..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what kinda price range are you looking at for tires? There's a pretty big swing in prices on tires really. If I were to run AT's I would have to give a hard look to the Nitto's. I've just read a ton of good reviews on that tire. Keep in mind that the HD trucks are going to be harder on tires than the 1500's due to the extra weight they carry. Check that 04's tranny cooler lines on the passenger side where they go into the radiator. Those like to leak there......had mine fixed under warranty. Also if it's 4wd check the back of the transfer case for pump rub....another common problem and pretty expensive to fix. Is the 04 a duramax or is it a gas burner? If it's a gas burner prepare yourself for single digit gas mileage.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

I have a 07 classic z71 and im running 285/70/17 on stock wheels and suspension.

They fit and look great.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1330776869701.jpg  
    2002 WS6 TA VERT M6 HOOKER SUPER COMPS ORY AND CAT BACK TUNE DONE BY CHARLES AT GREAD TUNNING!!

2007 Z71 EXTENDED CAB PROGRAMMER COLD AIR
    TRUE DUALS

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    what kinda price range are you looking at for tires? There's a pretty big swing in prices on tires really. If I were to run AT's I would have to give a hard look to the Nitto's. I've just read a ton of good reviews on that tire. Keep in mind that the HD trucks are going to be harder on tires than the 1500's due to the extra weight they carry. Check that 04's tranny cooler lines on the passenger side where they go into the radiator. Those like to leak there......had mine fixed under warranty. Also if it's 4wd check the back of the transfer case for pump rub....another common problem and pretty expensive to fix. Is the 04 a duramax or is it a gas burner? If it's a gas burner prepare yourself for single digit gas mileage.
    thanks for the advice orion, i appreciate it..
    i looked at the tires you said, the nitto terra grappler, they go for less than a $1000 that is what i was expecting to pay, so my budget around that,

04 silverado, its a gas engine, i wish it was diesel motor, is it really bad on gas mileage?
    any other comun problems on this trucks?

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by REVNORR82 View Post
    I have a 07 classic z71 and im running 285/70/17 on stock wheels and suspension.

Click for full size

They fit and look great.

nice truck! do you have a leveling kit on your truck?
    looks good with those tires, but looking at it i probably go little bit bigger..

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

here some pics guys to have an idea on what im looking for, the truck has the leveling kit i belive, i like those rims too, plus they are cheap, but i have no idea what size the tires are..

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    nice truck! do you have a leveling kit on your truck?
    looks good with those tires, but looking at it i probably go little bit bigger..
    No leveling kit that is the biggest tire I can fit with no mods.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    here some pics guys to have an idea on what im looking for, the truck has the leveling kit i belive, i like those rims too, plus they are cheap, but i have no idea what size the tires are..
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

That truck doesnt look like it has a leveling kit. Those tires really arent big either. They look wider than stock, but no taller.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by REVNORR82 View Post

Click for full size

They fit and look great.

those look like they might rub some.....did you trim the front fender well? I would still think they would rub in the rear during sharp turns.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    those look like they might rub some.....did you trim the front fender well? I would still think they would rub in the rear during sharp turns.
    No mods what so ever had it flexed out a few times never rubbed anything its funny some people don't have the same luck as I did I have heard of people having to cut fenders I guess I just got lucky or something.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    That truck doesnt look like it has a leveling kit. Those tires really arent big either. They look wider than stock, but no taller.
    I agree....that doesn't look leveled to me. Those do look like 265's to me though. He said that was a 2500 but was the z71 option available on the 2500's?

Thread Information