Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Factory Frame Coating

I have to say that I am less than impressed with the factory frame coating on our '07 Suburban. It appears to have a very thin coat of paint and then a thicker soft rubberized coating that has very poor adhesion. There were sections on the frame that had started to rust, so I scraped off what was left of the factory gunk, hit it with a wire wheel and then re-coated it. The underbody, wheel wells, and everything else looks great. Just the frame was starting to show some scabs. It is almost like powder coating where it will start to peel on an exposed edge and then just flake off in sheets.

Anyone else have this same experience?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I have to say that I am less than impressed with the factory frame coating on our '07 Suburban. It appears to have a very thin coat of paint and then a thicker soft rubberized coating that has very poor adhesion. There were sections on the frame that had started to rust, so I scraped off what was left of the factory gunk, hit it with a wire wheel and then re-coated it. The underbody, wheel wells, and everything else looks great. Just the frame was starting to show some scabs. It is almost like powder coating where it will start to peel on an exposed edge and then just flake off in sheets.

Yes, they all do it. I would go ahead and spray the rear axle too, since that will start spitting rust spots at you.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

It only had to last for 3-36 which ever came first Just about any off the shelf undercoating will be better than GM goop..

Side note, you do realize that's a truck right? It's supposed to get dirty... jk
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'll be attacking the rest of it one piece at a time. There are some brackets that will need attention and the axle is definitely going to see some POR-15. It'll never be as pretty as the Trans Am... but I like to keep stuff nice.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'll be attacking the rest of it one piece at a time. There are some brackets that will need attention and the axle is definitely going to see some POR-15. It'll never be as pretty as the Trans Am... but I like to keep stuff nice.
    Nothing wrong with keeping things nice I feel the same.. I was just poken' ya.. One things for sure on a vehicle that size, you got your work cut out for you.. Good luck!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Nothing wrong with keeping things nice I feel the same.. I was just poken' ya.. One things for sure on a vehicle that size, you got your work cut out for you.. Good luck!

Tell me about it -- I am on my 5th or 6th can of undercoating.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

i have the best fix for that i got a gallon of rustoleum semi gloss a few paint brushes and 4in rollers and went to town this we did this in my dads 93 3500 4x4 with 250000 miles two years ago and its still their and looks good.

White
    2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4

I've got a 2008 chevy half ton and the same problem !! i think ,mine might be from the mud bogs though..

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

BACK from the DEAD...I was thinking about "restoring" my truck frame to a respectable looking finish. After researching I discovered that GM calls these frames..."Wax dipped". They dip them in a big tub of hot wax. It works ok, I guess. But it comes off extremely easy. I'm pretty sure the Trailblazer frames are painted and wonder why the trucks get the black gooey wax? Must be cheaper?
    Anyways, I think I might wire brush off some rust and Rustoleam it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That makes sense as to why it all fell off our frame. I will probably hit ours with POR-15 this time around.

Thread Information