grey
    04 4x4 silvorado

cowl hood cooling???

I am looking at replacing my stock hood with a cowl hood. I am looking to get more air flow thru my radiator... Does a cowl hood make this happen??? if not any suggestions would be helpful
    thanks!!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

No a cowl hood doesn't increase flow through your radiator. Are you having cooling issues?

grey
    04 4x4 silvorado

Not what most ppl would consider a problem... I have a kenne bell supercharger, 2" body lift, heavy duty trans with a HUGE trans cooler. electric fans with a thermostat on at 180 off at 160. I am trying to get the truck to run at 180 max! the next step is an oil cooler...

Trans Am for life baby SexyTransAm's Avatar

95-black & 80-blue
    95 Trans Am and 80 TA

well it sounds to me like that is what ya need to do

95 TA A4, Black on Black C5 Z06 wheels, CAI, 160 powerstat, TB coolent bypass, TB foil, LT4 Knock Sensor, STB, SFC, Poly trans and torque arm mounts, flowmaster muffler, gutted cat, and hypertech tuned.
    http://www.fquick.com/SexyTransAm

grey
    04 4x4 silvorado

it would seem that if i could get more air out of the hood then more air would enter thruough the radiator...

Trans Am for life baby SexyTransAm's Avatar

95-black & 80-blue
    95 Trans Am and 80 TA

well a cowl aint goin to hurt. so y not try

NBM
    98 Mecham TA #4 of 14

Yes a cowl hood will help release the pocket of air under the hood while allowing more air to flow through the radiator/intercooler ect. Unless the hood is sealed to an air intake or cowl plenum it will work as an extractor hood.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

Quote Originally Posted by halftonhauler View Post
    Not what most ppl would consider a problem... I have a kenne bell supercharger, 2" body lift, heavy duty trans with a HUGE trans cooler. electric fans with a thermostat on at 180 off at 160. I am trying to get the truck to run at 180 max! the next step is an oil cooler...
    what does it run at now? anything under 200 wont hurt anything.. u can even go higher than that

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    Yes a cowl hood will help release the pocket of air under the hood while allowing more air to flow through the radiator/intercooler ect. Unless the hood is sealed to an air intake or cowl plenum it will work as an extractor hood.
    It's a truck engine bay...not a f-bod. Any pocket of air will go out through the 2 foot gaps around the motor even with a stock hood. A true cowl will help extract heat but that's about it. That's just my opinion anyway..

grey
    04 4x4 silvorado

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    that was my thoughts also! Thanks i was just not sure if any had done it and seen results...

grey
    04 4x4 silvorado

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    It's a truck engine bay...not a f-bod. Any pocket of air will go out through the 2 foot gaps around the motor even with a stock hood. A true cowl will help extract heat but that's about it. That's just my opinion anyway..
    that is all i am really trying to do! I have lots of heat under the hood and need to get it out!

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

that is all i am really trying to do! I have lots of heat under the hood and need to get it out!
    just run it with no hood then!

grey
    04 4x4 silvorado

Quote Originally Posted by drewhenderson13 View Post
    just run it with no hood then!
    i am not an rocket scientist but I am not sure that would help! the air that hist the front of the truck might not enter the radiator at all just go over the top. I need to creat a low pressure environment inside the engine compartment so the air enters the radiator...

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

i am not an rocket scientist but I am not sure that would help! the air that hist the front of the truck might not enter the radiator at all just go over the top. I need to creat a low pressure environment inside the engine compartment so the air enters the radiator...
    i dont think it makes a diference... air will flow through the radiator regardless

i was jk anyway... no hood=gay

pluss the drag created from the complete lack of arodynamics would probably ofset any performance gain if any u would get from a lack of hood

grey
    04 4x4 silvorado

i dont think it makes a diference... air will flow through the radiator regardless

i was jk anyway... no hood=gay

pluss the drag created from the complete lack of arodynamics would probably ofset any performance gain if any u would get from a lack of hood
    OK i am new to this message board and was not sure what kind of advise i would get. I agree no hood is no good!

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

OK i am new to this message board and was not sure what kind of advise i would get. I agree no hood is no good!
    if u get any advice from me its probably going to be a bunch of sarcastic bull shit!

im jk ill help if i can but i like to joke around alot

my suggestion if u want a cooler running engine would be to get a restrictor plate instead of a thermostat. they take longer to get to operating temp but they run better in carbed cars. but fuel injected cars run better/more efficient on higher temps. in my opion 180 is perfect... i think all that cooler thermostats isw a bunch off bull shit

i know ita a mustang but my car runs like shit when its below 180 (at operating temp, i dont rag it out at startup) in sumer my car runs way better!

grey
    04 4x4 silvorado

if u get any advice from me its probably going to be a bunch of sarcastic bull shit!

im jk ill help if i can but i like to joke around alot

my suggestion if u want a cooler running engine would be to get a restrictor plate instead of a thermostat. they take longer to get to operating temp but they run better in carbed cars. but fuel injected cars run better/more efficient on higher temps. in my opion 180 is perfect... i think all that cooler thermostats isw a bunch off bull shit

i know ita a mustang but my car runs like shit when its below 180 (at operating temp, i dont rag it out at startup) in sumer my car runs way better!

with the supercharger the cooler the better!!

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

with the supercharger the cooler the better!!
    ok... i forgot his car was s/c

well i know for a fact its not a good idea to just take out ur thermostat in a fuel injected car... but what about in his s/c car?

that may help... hell idk... its cheaper than a hood!

Thread Information