Can ticking be from Piston slap? Help!!!

A few weeks ago I noticed my truck started making a ticking sound that sounds like an exhaust leak. First think I did was change my oil and when that didnt cure it I put in lucas oil and when that didnt help I replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets but that did not fix the problem either. Then I took it to a gm dealer and after 2 days of diagnosis they tell me its piston slap. Now I know the 5.3L engines problem with the undersized pistons and all but to me the piston slap always sounded like marbles in the engine and not like a ticking sound you would get from an exhaust leak or bad lifter.
    Also I should mention that the sound can hardly be heard from on top of the engine. Instead the best place it can be heard is under the engine when I stick my head right behind the driver side wheel. But its loud enough that I hear it echoing off the cars parked on the side of the road when I drive down the street. The ticking cant really be heard at idle but instead hear best just above idle &from 750 to about 1300 RPMS
    so I have (2) questions
    1- can this really be piston slap making a ticking sound?
    2- if its not piston slap what can it be? The kicker here is it cant really be heard from on top of the engine.
    this is 2001 Silverado 5.3 with 71K on it.

Can anyone please help? Im out of ideas

White
    97 GMC with 02 LS6 engine

Sounds like it may very well be piston slap. There's really no oil or additive cure for it except replace the pistons and rings. GM has cured this on the newer 2002 and up. You might consider pulling the spark plugs and looking in the cylinders with a borescope to see if there's any damage. If you get someone to take pictures with a scope and there's a significant amount of scoring you might be able to get in one of the law suits out there. There really isn't that much on the bottom end to tick except for piston slap or an exhaust leak. Does it tick all of the time or just until it warms up?

all of the time

White
    97 GMC with 02 LS6 engine

I sure hope you find the problem. The LS1 I have right now is driving me crazy with a ticking noise and listening with a stethoscope it's coming from my idler pulley by the passenger head. Sounds just like a loose rocker. I think I'll change the pulley out and add a good set of rollers to go with it. LOL Borescope would help but you'll never know unless you pull and verify piston to liner clearance.

Have H/C and I've heard that some refer to "sewing machine" sound due to intake air......how does this differ from this "tick" - cause I have this all the time....

What Is H/c?

Quote Originally Posted by ~Firehawk~ View Post
    What Is H/c?
    Head/Cam changeout (AFR205 milled to 59cc and 232/240 & .595/.608 @ 114LSA)

Thread Information