Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

brake controller ordered.....

This is a discussion on brake controller ordered..... within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; My P2 showed up today . Looks pretty slick - may get around to installing it this weekend if all ...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

My P2 showed up today . Looks pretty slick - may get around to installing it this weekend if all goes well.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

got mine home today....P2 worked great. Never had to touch it all the way home which was a mix of highway and city driving. The whole thing towed great.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Damn thing makes your truck look tiny.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it's got some meat to it. At 8800lbs though it's pretty light for a 34' camper. All aluminum framing helps.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

0rion -- I just finished the install on my P2. Could not have been easier since all the wiring was there from the factory. It looks like our truck already had a brake controller in it too. I found pre-existing holes in the dash so I used those to mount the pocket. Also, the underhood wiring appears to already be hooked up.

Does your controller have power all the time? As soon as I connected the wires, ours lit up. After the check cycle, it simply displays a single blue dot with no trailer connected to it. Is yours the same way?

Sounds right Jeff. When my trailer harness is plugged in, it's always lit on the controller, whether the key is on or not.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    0rion -- I just finished the install on my P2. Could not have been easier since all the wiring was there from the factory. It looks like our truck already had a brake controller in it too. I found pre-existing holes in the dash so I used those to mount the pocket. Also, the underhood wiring appears to already be hooked up.

Does your controller have power all the time? As soon as I connected the wires, ours lit up. After the check cycle, it simply displays a single blue dot with no trailer connected to it. Is yours the same way?
    yep....that's right and then after a while it'll go into power saving mode.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ok, just wanted to make sure the wiring was correct as someone has definitely been there before on this truck. Thanks guys!

Black
    98 Vette

I had the P1 on my truck when I first got it. I later upgraded to the P2. Both work well. They are the closest thing to the smooth operation of air brakes you can get. As a truck driver cheap trailer brake controllers drive me crazy. They are by far the best.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by duramaxsky View Post
    I had the P1 on my truck when I first got it. I later upgraded to the P2. Both work well. They are the closest thing to the smooth operation of air brakes you can get. As a truck driver cheap trailer brake controllers drive me crazy. They are by far the best.

Good to hear. It was recommended by a couple of guys on the site and I like both how it is designed to work and its other features. Just waiting for a trailer to be built now and I can try it out.

Black
    98 Vette

Read the instructions and set it up right. You won't be disappointed. Like I said its the closest thing to air brakes I have found. And air brakes are the ultimate trailer brake system as they use the same system as the tractor. I have 3 different trailers so I have a label with the settings for each on the controller. Also remove it or unplug it when not in use. It will be more reliable that way.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

Nice looking truck/trailer setup you've got Orion... I showed the wife your interior pics in the other thread and she told me that's what we need to get.
    Last edited by RJWZ28; 04-18-2011 at 09:01 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    Nice looking truck/trailer setup you've got Orion... I showed the wife your interior pics in the other thread and she told me that's what we need to get.
    Thank you and we really like it......I need to get some other pictures of it that show the entertainment center with the dvd/stereo and flatscreen. The wife and I went out and worked in it today getting it ready for a trip soon. I sanitized the water system and all that today and we started loading cabinets with dishes and stuff like that. We'll be rocking it out before too long. I think my first trip with it will be camping with the guys for our "turkey season" in 3 weeks. We call it turkey season but none of us has even bought a license in 5 years. Hell, I don't even take a gun. Just BBQ and drink beer for 3 days......there's about 15 of us that go.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Thank you and we really like it......I need to get some other pictures of it that show the entertainment center with the dvd/stereo and flatscreen. The wife and I went out and worked in it today getting it ready for a trip soon. I sanitized the water system and all that today and we started loading cabinets with dishes and stuff like that. We'll be rocking it out before too long. I think my first trip with it will be camping with the guys for our "turkey season" in 3 weeks. We call it turkey season but none of us has even bought a license in 5 years. Hell, I don't even take a gun. Just BBQ and drink beer for 3 days......there's about 15 of us that go.
    That sounds pretty cool. If I get one I'd prefer to stay standard rather than 5th-wheel, but we have been looking. I love the "turkey season" idea; time away can be nice.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Well... I think my Prodigy took a dump on me. We were coming home from my brother-in-law's several days ago and the display was wigging out. Kept flashing and doing all sorts of weird stuff and then quit all together. I wasn't towing anything so the trailer socket at the back of the truck was empty and sealed.

See what happens when you buy that fancy electronic stuff? My old pendulum controller still works in the old truck going 20+ years now
    (just pokin' fun)

You have me worried now, my new duramax has an electronic controller that progressively applies the brakes. I think was factory installed. Still not used to it, feels like it's not working when you first hit the brakes, then you see the digital number gradually increase. Kind of scary to me. Hope it doesn't die on me.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Well... I think my Prodigy took a dump on me. We were coming home from my brother-in-law's several days ago and the display was wigging out. Kept flashing and doing all sorts of weird stuff and then quit all together. I wasn't towing anything so the trailer socket at the back of the truck was empty and sealed.
    wouldn't be the first brake controller that shit the bed but before I replaced it I would probably go over all your wiring and make sure something funky isn't going on there. Mine is still working fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    See what happens when you buy that fancy electronic stuff? My old pendulum controller still works in the old truck going 20+ years now
    (just pokin' fun)

You have me worried now, my new duramax has an electronic controller that progressively applies the brakes. I think was factory installed. Still not used to it, feels like it's not working when you first hit the brakes, then you see the digital number gradually increase. Kind of scary to me. Hope it doesn't die on me.
    the P2 has an adjustable "boost" function for just that purpose. You can increase the initial hit so it starts to slow down quicker. When adjusted right you don't even know the trailer is braking separately.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I removed the unit and tested all the wiring, including the connector at the rear bumper. Everything tested good. The unit itself must be fried. It won't even light up now and has odd shaped screws so I can't crack it open.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I removed the unit and tested all the wiring, including the connector at the rear bumper. Everything tested good. The unit itself must be fried. It won't even light up now and has odd shaped screws so I can't crack it open.
    shoot an email to Tekonsha.....see what they have to say. They may stand behind their product. Won't hurt anything to try. You're not the first person I've read where their brake controller crapped out so it's not an uncommon problem. It also seems to be across the brand range too and not just a Tekonsha problem. Anyone close to you have a spare controller you could try to definitely rule out the wiring? I can send you mine to test with if you want me too. I won't be towing the camper until April so I won't need it until then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information