Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

anyone know any really good GM diesel mechanics?

This is a discussion on anyone know any really good GM diesel mechanics? within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; holy hell...I just read through all of this. Im very glad I never decided to go with a duramax...this is ...

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

holy hell...I just read through all of this. Im very glad I never decided to go with a duramax...this is a freaking mess.

Haha, now you're scaring off all the gas engine wannabe's Orion

98 Formula
    06 duramax

his truck is a 1 in a million....at least I hope. Actually....if you search that p0087 code you'll find that it's pretty damn common. Some guys find a fix for it and it seems to vary. Everything from collapsed soft lines to leaky filter heads. Some throw a lift pump on it which helps hide the issue but it looks like the lift pump fixes about 1 in 10 and it's a $600 mod. When he first got the code and I started reading that's when I told him to sell it. There was just no single thing you could point your finger at. I knew right then it could be trouble. I also read about guys that's went through exactly the same things he has and never found the problem. Tons of red flags there. I'm sure every make has their issues....in fact I know they do....but at least usually you can figure out what's wrong with them. The duramax has their issues too....hydroboost leak, pump rub, rusting fuel line quick connects, rusty brake lines, ect ect. I've had most of those already. The thing that's really turning me off gm though is their cheap ass plastic interiors. Go sit in a new GM and then go sit in a new dodge. Dodge interiors blow them away. If I'm gonna have brake and fuel lines rusting at least give me something nice to look at inside.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post

his truck is a 1 in a million....at least I hope. Actually....if you search that p0087 code you'll find that it's pretty damn common. Some guys find a fix for it and it seems to vary. Everything from collapsed soft lines to leaky filter heads. Some throw a lift pump on it which helps hide the issue but it looks like the lift pump fixes about 1 in 10 and it's a $600 mod. When he first got the code and I started reading that's when I told him to sell it. There was just no single thing you could point your finger at. I knew right then it could be trouble. I also read about guys that's went through exactly the same things he has and never found the problem. Tons of red flags there. I'm sure every make has their issues....in fact I know they do....but at least usually you can figure out what's wrong with them. The duramax has their issues too....hydroboost leak, pump rub, rusting fuel line quick connects, rusty brake lines, ect ect. I've had most of those already. The thing that's really turning me off gm though is their cheap ass plastic interiors. Go sit in a new GM and then go sit in a new dodge. Dodge interiors blow them away. If I'm gonna have brake and fuel lines rusting at least give me something nice to look at inside.
    that right there is exactly what I said...I tried really hard to like the silverado, but its got way too much chinese style plastic for my liking. My father in law has an 07 "bought it brand new" and within 2 years the dash had cracked just like the fbody's do...i'd go freaking nuts if that happened after two years.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

I guess it's what you get used to. I come from driving 50's and 60's classics and still do, with manual everything, so when I jump in the Silverado it's like a cadillac to me. I don't need to see anything nicer, I'd just want to go buy that too

Never experienced the cracking dash issue, I kind of find that odd. Never had a 4th gen with the issue, and the one I have now sits out in the AZ sun all day at work. My 05 duramax has been a western truck since day one, interior is perfect. Funny thing, the 89 5.0 mustang I recently bought is also made of plastic inside, and it's never been garaged here in AZ. There isn't an ounce of paint left on the outside, the sun burnt it all off, but the interior is near mint without a crack in sight,

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The grass is always greener on the other side....or is it? There's only one way to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The grass is always greener on the other side....or is it? There's only one way to find out.
    Hey now, don't tempt me Cutlass, I'll end up spending money where I shouldn't be and then hear it from you know who

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ok.....even though it technically isn't fixed I'm confident enough to call the p0087 code taken care of. I was talking to him today on the phone and we started talking about the lines again. There's a little 4" long soft line that goes up the side of the drivers side head. Turns out he didn't replace that one....he wasn't aware there was a soft line there. I had him go out while we were on the phone and he checked it. It's soft as shit he said and had an indention in it. I gave him the Tim guarantee that replacing that line will fix his code issue. I'd put money that it's collapsing right there. Being soft is one thing (mine is rock hard) but the fact it has that indention in it tells me it's been collapsing there. He's going to replace it tomorrow afternoon so we'll know then. Still doesn't fix his leak but we'll worry about that next. I still say that's either the injector return line or where that return connects into. It just doesn't make sense that 1 day it's not leaking.....we do injectors.....the next day he has a leak. It's something we touched I think for sure or it's 1 helluva coincidence.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

wasn't it

Holy Cow!!! That truck is turning into a nightmare.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I told him I'm getting him a bumper sticker that says "dream crusher" on it. I thought for sure that was going to fix his problem. I've thought that before too though and this wasn't the first "Tim guarantee" I'd given him. Both of our wives called bullshit as soon as we told them we found it. I actually heard his wife call bullshit over the phone when he told her.

Hahaha, it sounds like everyone is tired of that truck. Maybe it's time to cut the losses and trade it in on a new one.

red
    95 Z28

Some LOLs should be had if this whole fiasco was caused by one collapsing line that's a super cheap part compared to everything that's been replaced. We already know the mystery leak was caused by you guys working on it.

Black / White

it would be an absolute shame if this truck got stolen and totalled/driven off a cliff...

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    it would be an absolute shame if this truck got stolen and totalled/driven off a cliff...

Somebody already tried to steal it. They brought it back because they smelled a fuel leak and it ran like shit.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

he lives in Akron which is the armpit of the world so it shouldn't be that hard to get a vehicle stolen there.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    he lives in Akron which is the armpit of the world so it shouldn't be that hard to get a vehicle stolen there.
    he needs to take a trip to New Orleans and drop it off with the keys in it. He'll NEVER see that thing again...ever.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

problem has been found......again. Took it to a different dealership and they said the cp3 is cracked from being "tightened down too much." I'll believe it when I see it. Hopefully this does fix it but I'm not holding my breath. Still leaves a couple unanswered questions for me. Why did it not leak before the injectors and why didn't the last duramax guy that tore the engine down looking for the leak not see/find it? He said this dealership was positive that was his problem but we've heard that a few times now and each time it costs him $1000+......this time it's $1500 unless he can get the last place to warranty the cp3.

When you say CP3 are you talking about the fuel pump or something else?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah...the pump. We don't have in tank pumps or lift pumps......we have a pump on top of the motor in the valley. It "sucks" the fuel out of the tank and then pressurizes it to send to the rails. He's going to go talk to the guy that did the pump tomorrow. It gets blurry to me exactly who that guy is. I know now he's a tech a a dealership but when he did the pump I believe he had his own shop and was using parts from the dealership. I told Brad not to expect much because it kinda sounds like an Alabama wedding to me where you meet the bride and the groom's sister but only see 1 girl standing there. Brad just wants to get the warranty info for the pump but it sounds like an install issue in which case good luck. I still can't get past why would it start leaking after the injectors and my understanding is the last guy tore the top of the engine down so why couldn't he see that it was the cp3 leaking? Something isn't adding up and this is exactly why I never let people work on my shit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information