Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

anyone know any really good GM diesel mechanics?

This is a discussion on anyone know any really good GM diesel mechanics? within the GM Trucks forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; He did have the same tune i run but we switched him back to the stock tune. We bottle tested ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

He did have the same tune i run but we switched him back to the stock tune. We bottle tested that fprv & it tested fine. We even unhookee the fuel heater on the filter head thinking maybe it was stuck on or something but thats not it either. I logged the fuel teml after that & its all good. I'm wondering if he doesnt have a pcm problem or something. I'm just out of ideas.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

He gets home sunday with his truck still throwing codes then Monday morning his wifed called him to tell him she has no reverse in their VW TDI. He's officially on suicide watch.

Wow, no luck with cars.

Rob told me once that pressure valve pops it's done and never holds pressure again, and will continually set low rail pressure codes until it's replaced. I must have missed the part where you tested yours already. I was hoping that simple little part was the cause of your problems

Oh well, I guess he'll be trading this sucker in huh?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

He's not sure what he's doing yet. Wants to maybe take it back to the dealership and let them look at it again but they don't know anything more than we do......they're the guys that told him he had 6 bad injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    He's not sure what he's doing yet. Wants to maybe take it back to the dealership and let them look at it again but they don't know anything more than we do......they're the guys that told him he had 6 bad injectors.
    Hmm, would be interesting to take it back now and say,,,,,okay here you go, you diagnosed 6 bad injectors, now they are all replaced and still have the same issue. So what now?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

there's really no answer they could give because it's all brand new....all 8 injectors are new, cp3/pressure regulator is new, all the fuel lines are new, fuel cooler is new, fuel bucket/pickup in the tank is new, ect ect. There's no parts left to buy. He could always replace that fprv I guess but if it was passing fuel then there would've been fuel in the bottle when it was tested and there was none. There's just no parts left to buy.

With all the parts you guys have thrown at it, I probably wouldn't hesitate to toss in one of those modified fuel pressure valves just for giggles. They are only about $50 I think and not hard to change.

That's why I thought it would be interesting to take it back to the dealer since you guys have replaced everything known to man on that thing. I'd just like to hear what they have to say. You guys could pretty much say "nope that's been done.....Nope that's been done too" Just curious more than anything.

Tell ya what Tim,

I have one of those fuel pressure valve kits here. I bought the cheaper version that requires you to remove the tangs and take your old valve apart to install the shim kit.

I didn't like that idea so I bought the more expensive valve that is already made to replace the original (I think $50)

So if you don't mind taking yours apart and do the shims yourself, and you feel you want to try it, I'll send it to ya..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

progress made on the truck today.......when he got home sunday he smelled fuel. Got out today and between him looking and me talking him through it on the phone he found his leak. CP3 is leaking. WTF?? That CP3 is only 6 months old. I noticed sunday when I did a quick log on the truck the frprdes was all over the place. At the time I couldn't figure out why it was bouncing around so much but it makes sense now. Now the question I have.....what could we have done on an injector swap that would cause the cp3 to shit the bed? Swap went smoothly and none of our stuff is leaking. That would be the fluke of all flukes if the cp3 just happen to shit right after the injector swap on it's own. I just can't figure out what could've happened that would've caused the cp3 to leak. We also don't know where it's leaking at yet because you can't really even see it down in there. He just saw his valley is full of fuel. Either way it has to be torn down and that cp3 is a real son of a bitch to get at. The guy that installed the cp3 for him is now out of business so he's pretty much screwed on the warranty we think. He's going to get in touch with the guy.

I think I have his car figured out too. Pretty sure he just has a bad solenoid. He said he puts it in reverse and it'll go in and out of reverse a bunch of times before he can get the car to back up and it only backs up as long as he's out of the throttle and idling. Sounds like a solenoid to me. That vw tranny is a real POS too. The dealership told him a couple years ago it's a non-servicable tranny meaning they couldn't even do fluid changes. I did find online how to do a fluid change but what a frigin pain in the ass it is and getting to those solenoids is going to be a bitch too. If I'm working on all his shit with him he's going to have to start letting me help him pick out vehicles.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

God, this is an endless saga of diagnosis, huh? Is the CP3 a GM replacement part or did the guy get it from a crappy aftermarket supplier?
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it's supposed to be a bosch replacement.....that's what he paid for. This truck is an ass kicker for sure. I just wonder what the odds are that the cp3 shits the bed the day after an injector swap? The CP3 is upstream of everything we touched so I really don't think it's related to the injector swap. I wished we could see that cp3 so we could see exactly where it's leaking but there's really no way to tell until you get half the damn motor tore down. I wonder if the guy doing the work swapped his old regulator over or put a new replacement on there. I don't know if that regulator is considered part of the cp3 or if it's handled separately. Common sense would tell you that if you have it tore down that far the regulator gets changed also. If/when we get this POS running right I'm going to sit on the tailgate of it and drink a case of beer and then stand up and piss all over it.
    The good news is that if I ever need to do injectors on mine I know it's not that bad of a job. The drivers side is kinda of a pain just because you have to remove quite a bit to get to the injectors but once you have all the shit out of the way it's pretty easy. The passenger side is cake walk. No way to do that job though without a good set of crows foot wrenches.
    Last edited by 0rion; 04-30-2014 at 05:09 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

well, if the CP3 (or something else) is leaking...that could be you latest low fuel pressure problem

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's what I'm hoping......he looked for the leak today and couldn't find it. It's really tough to get down in there to where you can see the cp3 and still run the truck. He said he had the fuel soaked up out of the valley but he just didn't see anything leaking at idle. If he can hold out until the end of the month when the kids get out of school I'm going to go up there and see what I can find. He's talking about taking it back to the dealership and letting them have at it. I'm kinda hoping that's what he does because I'm not looking forward to digging that cp3 out of there if that's in fact what's leaking. That's a real bitch of a job.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

another mechanic down......the latest guy not only couldn't figure out the p0087 but also couldn't find his leak. They narrowed it down to a line that runs back behind or under the turbo. I forget where he said it was. The guy had a mini camera they stuck back there and between that and mirrors they found where it was wet. To get to that line the turbo has to come off which means the cab has to come off. I guess the turbo *can* be done with the cab on but then the tranny has to come out. Either way it doesn't sound like fun. I can't find a good diagram of the fuel lines to determine where that line is from or where the connections are at. If it's a low pressure line I would re-route that bitch and go rubber if you can get to the connections. That's what I would do at least. Even after that's done it still doesn't fix his 0087 code if it's a return leaking and not a pressure side leaking. He's taking it back to the dealership Thursday and they're going to get some GM engineers involved. I've never heard of anyone having that much trouble out of a vehicle....ever....and I've been around this shit a long time. He really fucked up not getting rid of that truck as soon as it happened. The money he has in it he could've bought a whole new engine to drop in there. Even when he gets this thing fixed it's still an 8 year old truck with 160k on it. I make sure to point that shit out to him as much as possible because I told him 2 years ago to get rid of it.

Did he buy that truck new?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

i don't believe so....I think he bought it in 07 or 08.

Just wondering if he at least got some enjoyment out of it before all this mess started. I bet he's hating duramax's right about now, lol.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Just wondering if he at least got some enjoyment out of it before all this mess started. I bet he's hating duramax's right about now, lol.
    him and me both My next truck will be a dodge with a cummins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Hahaha, I think I know you better than that .

I'm not a diehard brand loyal person but I hear enough about the other diesels to know the duramax is the power maker of the bunch. I've just never heard of someone having so much trouble with one.

My other neighbor has had all 3 brands over the last 6 years. They tow horses everywhere. First was a duramax, they killed it when his wife pumped regular gas in it one day, lol. Traded it in on a new Cummins, had that 2 years and didn't like it. Traded on a Ford Power Stroke and didn't keep that nearly as long (less than a year) and traded that back in for another new Duramax. Had the Duramax ever since and claims they won't go back to the others.

I hope your buddy gets it figured out, for your sake too

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've pretty much given up hope that there's any way we're going to fix that truck. It's going to have to be someone that knows way more than we do and even then I have my doubts. I mean he's had 2 other guys that know their shit about the duramax look at it and a dealership and none of them can figure it out. I have a couple theories. One is that it's pcm related, one is that it's the $250 fuel pressure sensor, and one is that a piece of rust has somehow gotten into the fuel lines and lodged in a fitting somewhere or something like that. None of those are very solid but there's just not a ton of shit left it could be.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information