midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

96 Tahoe... Need some help

ok guys I got a 96 tahoe with 260,000 on her and I can't let her die yet.

I got a bad misfire on her... 5 and 6 I believe. Truck hesitates and does the little chug thing while driving.

Now I am getting a pop, almost sounds like dragging cans comming out of the exhaust. I think my caddilic converters (Both) are bad. I am getting a 02 code of sensor 1 bank 2.

I just rebuilt the transmission (4l60E) and the truck is not shifting properly. My guess is that since the motor is not running correctly it is not giving the transmission the signal to do it's job properly.

I am wondering if I just cut out the converters and put a straight pipe through if I can help the situation here. Can't afford a whole new set up. But I need some sort of back pressure. So, is there like a small muffler or something I can place in there to give me some backpressure. The only thing I can think of is a bullet?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    ok guys I got a 96 tahoe with 260,000 on her and I can't let her die yet.

I got a bad misfire on her... 5 and 6 I believe. Truck hesitates and does the little chug thing while driving.

Now I am getting a pop, almost sounds like dragging cans comming out of the exhaust. I think my caddilic converters (Both) are bad. I am getting a 02 code of sensor 1 bank 2.

I just rebuilt the transmission (4l60E) and the truck is not shifting properly. My guess is that since the motor is not running correctly it is not giving the transmission the signal to do it's job properly.

I am wondering if I just cut out the converters and put a straight pipe through if I can help the situation here. Can't afford a whole new set up. But I need some sort of back pressure. So, is there like a small muffler or something I can place in there to give me some backpressure. The only thing I can think of is a bullet?
    You can buy an aftermarket cat for around the same price as a muffler I'm assuming. By removing the converters, you are going to throw an o2 code and it may cause your engine to run lean. It may help your misfire situation regardless. And you are correct to assume the trans isn't shifting properly because of the SES light.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If you remove the cats you might not pass inspection. Sensor 1 is pre cat anyway. Have you checked your wires and cap and rotor?

midnight blue

Yes I checked cap and rotor. Everything is good on that.

Just did a back pressure test and the converters are coming out good as well.

It just seems the transmission is not engaging. I start having issues around 35mph... Then I can free rev up to about 4000rpm and nothing.... If I mash on it then it will catch but sounds and acts like crap in the process. getting all kinds of noises.. almost sounds like pops and tin cans draggin.

The guy at the shop seemed to think possibly injectors or even weak cylinders... I dunno...

Runnin out of time

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Check for vacuum leaks. Dont the vortec engines have a plastic intake spider that distributes fuel? I have heard of cracking.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

A vacuum leak is a possible cause for missing and rough running. That might have an affect on the shifting too, I don't know if your transmission has a vacuum modulator or not. The intake manifold has a section of gasket that is prone to warping and that can lead to vacuum leaks and or drawing oil into the cylinders. Plugs could be fouled from oil. Or another problem might be a worn out thermostat, keeping the engine from warming up; that also can foul the plugs. The ignition wires could be worn, try looking under the hood in the dark... with the engine running... and see if you can see any arching.
    Good luck!

midnight blue

Figured it out...

It was the rotor that spins with the distributor or whatnot.... Runs smooth as can be now. Thanks for all the input guys. I also need intake gaskets, but it's leaking on the ground not the oil.

Thread Information