Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

89 K1500 LQ4 swap

Starting a thread for my 89 build. Going to attempt to put a 6.0 in this beast. I picked up a nice lq4 out of a 2007 with only 27,000 miles on it with a victor jr. Intake and msd ignition setup on a trade with a snowmobile. I got the crank adapter, flex plate, ignition, and intake to carb it. I have pro systems doing a quote on a carb for me. Motor is bone stock as far as bottom end and heads. Going to put it in front of a built 700r4. Just wondering on any pointers or advice you guys have on this swap. Heres some pics of the truck its going in

I did a 6.0/4L60 swap in my 72 4x4 blazer. Pretty straight forward.

Only big obstacle for me is mating the transfer case (adapters are expensive). With your truck it's already done for you since that truck should have had a 700R in it already.

You'll love it when it's done. Keep us posted.

Yup, 700r4 and i got the flex plate and the crank adapter already. Gotta build some motor mounts though. Cant wait to get started on it

Piece of cake

red
    95 Z28

Sounds like a great swap. My only questions though... Why not stick with the fuel injection that gives that motor better performance over a carb in almost every aspect? Did it not come with all of the injection stuff, or didnt want to hassle with the wiring? Also, didnt want to go with the 4L80e behind it?

None of the injection stuff came with it. I got the motor already setup with the intake and all the msd ignition. Im going to attempt this build on a 2000 dollar budget. Also with it being a 4x4 it would require surgery and electronics to put a 4L80E in it. Sticking with a 700R4 means i dont have to. Yes i agree that the injection is better, but it already being setup this way and trying to do it with spending as little as possible leaves this as my only option. Besides this is just a play truck, not trying to go for a real nice ride. Haha

I could get my hands on a set of ls1 heads also

red
    95 Z28

Fair enough I was just curious.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Nice looking rig! Good luck with the swap!

Had this exact truck myself about 10 years ago in burgundy and silver, 350 4-bolt, had about the same lift on mine too.

I sold it when the engine popped. Wish I would have held on to it now..lol
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

No problem. I have a 92 camaro also and that one ill definitely do injection when i do a ls1 swap

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Nice looking rig! Good luck with the swap!

Had this exact truck myself about 10 years ago in burgundy and silver, 350 4-bolt, had about the same lift on mine too.

I sold it when the engine popped. Wish I would have held on to it now..lol
    Lol yeah i dont blame ya. Believe it or not i got this truck on a straight up trade for a banshee that i paid 1800 for.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by fmkidd View Post
    No problem. I have a 92 camaro also and that one ill definitely do injection when i do a ls1 swap
    What did you do buy all my old rides!??

Had a 25th anni also.. haha red, black stripes, 350 auto.. I was kid then, did'nt know what I had. Had an 89 rs also..

All stuff I wish I still had now that I'm getting old..

Quote Originally Posted by fmkidd View Post
    None of the injection stuff came with it. I got the motor already setup with the intake and all the msd ignition. Im going to attempt this build on a 2000 dollar budget. Also with it being a 4x4 it would require surgery and electronics to put a 4L80E in it. Sticking with a 700R4 means i dont have to. Yes i agree that the injection is better, but it already being setup this way and trying to do it with spending as little as possible leaves this as my only option. Besides this is just a play truck, not trying to go for a real nice ride. Haha
    Carb swaps are hugely popular. Alot of retro swaps running around here with carbs. With the MSD ignition controller it's a breeze to do a carb and cheaper. Plus the end result is cheaper and easier to tune. Most people don't want to invest $600 in software (assuming you have a laptop or that's another expense) just to tune and fiddle with fuel injection.

Not to mention by the time you do a custom harness and computer for the swap it's another $800+ to run that fuel injection. It's sweet but you have to weigh the cost and intended use of the vehicle to decide. I'm not against either direction.

Since that truck has a computer already to run that old TBI, I have to wonder if some of those gauges in the dash or other functions of the truck might also use that computer for various things???

If so it might be necessary to keep it somewhat functional even after the swap??? It obviously won't run an LS engine with it's fuel injection so that would be yet another computer and tons more wiring to consider also. It starts to get a little redundant if you know what I mean.

If that would be the case then a carb would make more sense to me on this particular swap. Just spit balling here.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Carb swaps are hugely popular. Alot of retro swaps running around here with carbs. With the MSD ignition controller it's a breeze to do a carb and cheaper. Plus the end result is cheaper and easier to tune. Most people don't want to invest $600 in software (assuming you have a laptop or that's another expense) just to tune and fiddle with fuel injection.

Not to mention by the time you do a custom harness and computer for the swap it's another $800+ to run that fuel injection. It's sweet but you have to weigh the cost and intended use of the vehicle to decide. I'm not against either direction.

Since that truck has a computer already to run that old TBI, I have to wonder if some of those gauges in the dash or other functions of the truck might also use that computer for various things???

If so it might be necessary to keep it somewhat functional even after the swap??? It obviously won't run an LS engine with it's fuel injection so that would be yet another computer and tons more wiring to consider also. It starts to get a little redundant if you know what I mean.

If that would be the case then a carb would make more sense to me on this particular swap. Just spit balling here.
    Yeah i agree. As far as the computer running some stuff on the dash im not to sure. The only real thing id want on the dash to work would be the speedo and gas gauge. The other stuff im not to worried about. Ill have to check into that a little bit. Itll work out good cuz my dad is redoing a 83 chev that has a carbed 350 and wants to put efi on it. When i do the swap ill give him all the efi shit out of mine.

Some pics of the motor

The other benefit is they just look bitchen with a carb on it

Intake looks sweet.

I'm dieing to do one with the new tunnel ram they have out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The other benefit is they just look bitchen with a carb on it

Intake looks sweet.

I'm dieing to do one with the new tunnel ram they have out now.
    I agree, if you ever do one post some pics

Does anybody know of a company that makes a motor mount kit for this type of swap?

If I'm thinking right, your 89 doesn't have a removable engine crossmember so all you'll need are conversion mounts.

The plate itself is easy to make, but there are places that sell them ready to go.

You could check places like DIY4x4, Pacific Fabrication, Street and Performance, and even Edelbrock makes conversion mounts.

Thread Information